Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: Cliffs of Dover Dev Diary

It looks very impressive when running smoothly. Once they (hopefully) get it back to that point, there looks like a lot of potential in this engine. Given the size of the maps, the DirectX 10 & 11 support and the incredible attention to detail in FM, DM, ground units and terrain, it would be awesome if P5 switched to the CoD engine. The potential would be unlimited.

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover Developer Diary (6:54) 720HD

Hellshade

(waiting patiently for Winder and Pol to come to my house and kick me in the face now, repeatedly.)

I was reading on SimHQ that people were complaining about "50 plane missions" in the CoD campaign. They were saying that European Air War and Rowan's BoB in particular did a much better job a long time ago modeling the scale of these air battles.

I don't know where I stand on that though. It'd be nice to see those massive Luftwaffe formations, and certainly it seems odd to play a Battle of Britain game without them (though maybe that's just me speaking as an old time Rowan's BoB/Wings of Victory fan).

On the other hand the engine, graphics, flight model, and feel of CoD seems so damn good I don't know if I would even notice the smaller scale. I'm looking forward to trying it out and certainly hope they iron out whatever issues they're having with that filter.

The modding possibilities also interest me. I dunno about P5, could they really take it that far? It strikes me that CFS3's engine was already at least somewhat conducive to modeling a WW1 dynamic campaign, but I just plain have no idea about this one's. Man but that would be damn pretty, I'd love to see a Fokker Dr.I in this engine. Maybe in 5 - 10 years we will be playing a new OFF phase on an engine like this. Ahhh daydreaming... heat.gif

Edited by Javito1986

P.S. I like the scenes of flying real close down in that residential neighborhood. Looks marvelous. I'm thinking in 10 years we'll be able to model civilians looking up at you and waving / ducking for cover lol.gif

The graphics look great except for the gunfire/tracers, but thats what a modder is for.

Unfortunately Oleg's sims are not open for modding...

The old IL-2 Code was finaly opened for modding after Oleg has sold it to the developers of 'Wings of Prey' and officially announced that they will concentrate all their effort to their new code...(Cliffs of Dover)

Elephant, I think that's unfortunate. It strikes me that modding is what gives a sim like this its lifespan, as opposed to "in one year out the next". As you well know since I believe I remember you saying you used to do work on Rowan's BoB and RB3D? It seems a bit shortsighted to me, but whatever it is their engine after all. I just strongly prefer the way, for example, Bohemia Interactive maintains such close ties to its OFP/ARMA modding community.

But now that the original IL-2 source is available, I wonder if there's a community getting built up around it? Time to hit google and have a looksee.

Unfortunately Oleg's sims are not open for modding...

The old IL-2 Code was finaly opened for modding after Oleg has sold it to the developers of 'Wings of Prey' and officially announced that they will concentrate all their effort to their new code...(Cliffs of Dover)

That is very unfortunate indeed. Oblivion would likely not still be played by so many people today if not for the, literally, tens of thousands of mods that have been developed for it. If IL-2:CoD is closed as well, then they are really limiting themselves. I'm sure if / once they get the lower frame rate issue resolved it will be very popular indeed, but mods always provide a longer hard drive life for games. Oh well, maybe Wings of Prey 2 will be open to mods. :dntknw:

Hellshade

Have had this sim ordered for a while now but I'm seriously thinking of cancelling it and buying Lock On Flaming Cliffs 2 instead.

Crap frame rates, loads of micro stuttering, pop up buidings (AGAIN!) and the "sim" getting slated right across the board especially on the Russian Sukhoi forum is telling me to cancel my order and wait and see how this sim pans out in the next few weeks.

Decisions, decisions. :scare:

(waiting patiently for Winder and Pol to come to my house and kick me in the face now, repeatedly.)

*Knock, knock....*

:grin:

*Knock, knock....*

:grin:

They would have every right...

I would just hope during the process of kicking my arse they accidently dropped a Beta P4. I'd be worth it as long as I could still see (out of at least one eye) and work the joystick afterwards.

I realize P4 is still probably a very long ways away, but I can't help but think that it's going to be the mother of all historically accurate sims of any era, let alone just WWI sims.

They are all being awfully quiet and I'm pretty sure it's not because they are busy installing an epileptic filter. :yikes: Ya know?

Seriously though, if they ever do decide to make a P5, I think if it's possible to Mod, the CoD engine (once fixed) would probably be a great choice. The map area it covers is large enough to cover the entire western front, I believe. And it's not desolate. It's filled with villages, towns, forests, etc.

If you don't hear back from me after this it's probably because I've been perma banned by OBD. Again, I wouldn't blame them. Hopefully they take what I say as I ment it. Certainly not as a knock to the amazing work they have and are doing right now.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Anybody already tried this sim already! Is it any good or should I wait for patching and modding first? If anyone has any feedback....

I've got it - it works surprisingly well on my PC as a lot of really high end ones seem to come undone (unless the people that keep complaining about the graphics are people who put everything on maximum and then whine when it doesn't run at 60 FPS :grin:)

I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz, ATI 4890, 4GB DDR2 (which is lower-mid range aparantly - not sure when that happened!) and am getting 30 - 40 FPS over the English channel and 20+ FPS over England - with medium graphics settings and a few on low (and one or two on high), which is essentially playable FPS and respectable graphics, shall we say.

There are a lot of bugs and it has been released a few months early if you ask me, but I'm enjoying it and I think it's definitely a case of a very rough diamond - it has a lot of nice little features that the geeky simmer appreciates - for example if you fly through a cloud your canopy gets covered in condensation - if the sun shines on your gunsight it goes invisible, but you can turn the power up to make it more visible - you can see your exhaust flames at night, set the altitude of the altimeter and the direction of the compass (aparently the compass shifts over time like they would in real life, so you have to compensate - but I haven't played it long enough to find out) - the patches over the gun ports in the Spitfires and Hurricanes start covered up, but get 'holed' when you fire - and many other geeky little things that there are too many to list!

Also the engine management is pretty snazzy - first time I tried it I burnt my intake and punctured my hose - not entirely sure what that means, but oil got thrown everywhere and I had to ditch in the sea. :grin:

So if you can get past the unfinished state of the game, there is good stuff in there - just you might not be able to find it depending on how lucky you are with your PC set up.

Going by views from various forums, it seems that this sim is having more than its fair share of problems.

I cancelled my order and am glad I did. I will look into buying it when things like frame rates, stuttering and building pop up get sorted out.

If only the game ran as well as it appears to do on UBI's new marketing video. :dntknw:

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/79987/PC/IL-2-Sturmovik-Cliffs-of-Dover/Trailer/Launch-Trailer

Edited by Davy TASB

Was reading the banana forums and there isn't very much positive to read about the sim. Will wait a few months and hope some of the issues get sorted out before buying this one.

There does seem to be a fair number of cancelled orders as well. But the sim should be alright once some fixes get released.

Just got it and I am not impressed. I started playing it and I had the same feeling when I first played CFS3 :shok: ,lots of potential but not there yet. Only the OBD team understands what I need from a sim.

Let us chant together....P4, P4, P4, P4, P4, P4,P4,P4, P4, P4, P4, P4, P4,P4,P4, P4, P4, P4, P4, P4,P4..........................................................................

Crossbones

I have to agree with Crossbones here OBD team does seem to understand what makes a sim a sim.

Besides the only WW2 planes I ever liked were obsolete when WW2 started, ie. Devastator, Buffalo. But I sure love flying the Zero.

Here are some videos of it on my PC:

This one is inspired by a scene in the book 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum:

(Seems I can only post two videos in a post, but here are links to the other two):

The second one shows off the damage model pretty well - at one point some FlaK takes out the electronics and knocks out the Gunsight Illumination and Undercarriage Indicator Lamp (I think the FlaK burst just behind the Cockpit might have hit the Voltage Regulator behind the seat and maybe the CO2.)

Quite a few obvious bugs, like the textures changing some times, strange physics and I have to turn trees off because of a texture bug, but the game works perfectly well with most settings on medium and some on high - so looking forward to what it's going to be like when it's been patched and optimized!

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to this game, once put up against a heavily modded IL2 1946?

I'll wait a while, and see how it pans out

So far I'd say the advantages are:

More realistic engine management including clickable cockpits and realistic engine start up.

More immersive features (we're all for immersion in OFF after all :grin: ) like adjustable gunsights and lights, adjustable dials such as compasses (which drift) - editable gun belts (ie you could have 'Incendiary - Tracer - Incendiary - Armour Piercing' or what not) and Cockpits icing up in cloud.

Better damage model (probably the best you can get from what I've seen) where you can pretty much damage everything that would be in the Aircraft, even stuff I don't know what it is. :blink:

Also you can design your own little 3D Pilot, which is fun - I went for the Irvin Jacket with RAF Cap, RAF Trousers and Flying Boots look, incase you were wondering.

IL2 46 is ahead in areas as there are hundreds of Aircraft available and pretty much all theatres of the war (plus Spain and Korea infact!), it's stable and 'normal' as far as the optimization goes - and has it's own dynamic campaign engine (although aparantly they'll add one in Cliffs of Dover, but that's probably after a lot of optimization patches.)

But I'd say if you were to put IL2 46 with a Battle of Britain set up next to ClOD with a Battle of Britain set up then ClOD is superior, but you do take a risk at the moment when you buy it, as it may or may not actually work! But then again even if it doesn't work you still have a copy for when it does I suppose...

Last note on Cliffs of Dover vs IL2, for me IL2 always felt a bit 'dry' - hard to explain, but it all seemed a bit clean, as if you were flying an aircraft performance graph - where as (to me) Cliffs of Dover feels more immersive.

I'm just a bit worried that this game which has a lot of potential (more than any sim I've played) will end up getting beaten into nothingness by people saying it's crap, and it just fading into nothingness.

It seems people either really love it, or really hate it - but to each their own I suppose. :drinks:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Thanks for the headsup Mike..an interesting and informative review..much appreciated.

I share your views on IL2...there is just something about it that just doesn't 'feel' right to me also...I enjoy it, don't get me wrong...but I'm hopeful that the new sim will address that for me :drinks:

Hmmmmm,

Can't help but notice the "Steam" release of this product has been pushed back to May 24th. Not surprised really. Mostly because I just got through playing around with this title for a good couple of hours, so now I have a pretty good idea of what it brings to the table. I'm not even going to bother offering up any sort of "critique" other than to say Oleg and his chaps have got a lot of hard work ahead of them. Quite possibly about another 6 years worth....lol.

Regardless, if anyone in North America is interested in jumping the gun before the official "new" release date, here's what I discovered. It's quite possible to obtain and play the game now if you buy it from a certain site that will charge you $44.99 USD. If you pre-order it through Steam, it's going to run you $49.99 USD and you won't be able to install it or play it until May 24th. If however, you do what I did and buy a "Steam Key" here, it'll cost you $32.49 in Canadian dollars, and you'll be able to install and play it right away via the Steam client. Go figure....

The way I see it, the more "Beta" testers there are out there, the sooner this title will get fixed due to an even bigger avalanche of hostile feedback......

This has been a Public Disservice Announcement :salute:

Cheers,

Parky

Right On, Although it is a pity, the game inst out of the Beta stage. I wanted it so bad,but I will wait.

It's not in beta, it's in alpha.

LMFAO!!!! Now that is funny......

Carrick,

Not sure if you understood I was being "tongue in cheek" when I referred to it as being in it's "Beta" stage. What they've released is allegedly a finished product, or "final release". If they don't clean it up a great deal, and I mean in a considerable hurry, it may just well turn out to be their "final release" as a software publishing company......period.

One thing I do know. The whole situation sure does make me appreciate the attention to detail and dedication we see from OBD when it comes to getting things right and doing things in a completely professional manner.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky