Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

B-1's In The Fight!

Hey all,

After a few days worth of gag orders and watching threads from the sidelines, I'm (read: our whole wing) finally authorized via the 28th BW Public Affairs Office to be able talk, to an extent, about my involvment in the UN/NATO operations in Lybia. And let me tell you, the B-1 is definitely in the fight, though of course I can't give out payload numbers or target info, let me say this... we kicked some serious butt! It was pretty cool to green up my first combat sorties and watch our jets head off to join the fight. If anyone has any questions about my squadron's and my involvment, I'd be happy to answer them, within the confines of OPSEC and INFOSEC of course.

Whether it's greening up jets on short notice to go bomb Lybia, or putting on our bombers on aircraft carriers to hit Tokyo, no one does it like the 34th BS Thunderbirds!

UPDATE: Just hopped on Ellsworth's public homepage and found some pictures. The guy in the driver's seat of that de-icer truck is none other than your's truly. Whoohoo, I'm a celebrity!

110327-F-HZ705-053.jpg

110326-F-CF975-117.jpg

Edited by CowboyTodd41

Those guys aren't being forced to fly roundtrip combat sorties from CONUS, are they? They're staging out of somewhere closer? That would be some punishing flights.

SW,

What is it with you and toilets in aircraft... :grin: ?

CT, good to hear the Bones taking care of business. Hope all the drivers make it back with no surprises...

FC

Good to see a deicer making headlines! Though, real men deice from open buckets!grin.gif

Out of my aviation nerdness, what brand/types of fluids do you guys use?

@Jedi - No they aren't making full round trips, they stopped off at a Foward Operating Location and then flew home, also hitting targets on the way back.

@FC - Yep, all the aircrews made it home safe sound

and @DWCAce - We use Glycol, though in that picture my bucket operator was shooting hot air since we can't use the fluid on the canards

Don't the canards have deicers built-in? What's the consequence if they ice up? I mean, they're only used at low-alt anyway, where icing usually isn't as big of a problem, right?

What if it´s cold enough to ice at low altitudes? What if the cannards get icy at high altitude, but it doesn´t melt when going down? What about wearing up? I think it would be worth the cash

The reason they might not spray deicing fluids (typically a propylene glycol base mixed with water) on the canards is that it may damage the materials. Ground de-icing is different than the aircraft's deicing system.

JM, if they're at low alt, they can be just as susceptible to icing as any other a/c depending on the weather conditions. Ice could build up on them, and then break loose and impact the wing or engines... bad stuff!

Oh right, I forgot about the ice coming off and damaging things.

I honestly don't know why we're not alowed to use the fluid on the canards, sorry ya'll

Set your Type I to fan spray and get some DOW/UCAR ADF all up in there!:grin: