Sign in to follow this  
dtmdragon

Update the new New Zealand terrain for SF2

Could someone please do me and the other kiwis out there a huge favour and overhaul/update this New Zealand terrain for SF2? I tried using the instructions here at combat ace but there are still various issues that require expert help.

http://combatace.com/files/file/11884-new-zealand/

Cheers,

Dan.

I had NO problems getting it into SF2. Took me less than 30 seconds? Didn't I document everything in the KB thread? What issues (except those listed below) are you having?

However, it needs major reworking, in partucular the coastline transition tiles, airfield flattening, target placements and other stuff. I mean ... a LOT of rebuilding; several places have missing tiles. completly. Where are the ports??? I'm SURE you guys have places to park your boats!!

I'll be listing my findings for toxin in the release thread.

Actually for a first effort, it's not all that bad. For a beta

wrench

kevin stein

Thats the stuff I'm talking about lol my modding skill don't quite extend that far yet lol. I know is a big task but it doesn't hurt to ask :grin:

I had NO problems getting it into SF2. Took me less than 30 seconds? Didn't I document everything in the KB thread? What issues (except those listed below) are you having?

However, it needs major reworking, in partucular the coastline transition tiles, airfield flattening, target placements and other stuff. I mean ... a LOT of rebuilding; several places have missing tiles. completly. Where are the ports??? I'm SURE you guys have places to park your boats!!

I'll be listing my findings for toxin in the release thread.

Actually for a first effort, it's not all that bad. For a beta

wrench

kevin stein

Dan, try this:

copy/paste the infor directly OVER the sections of the data ini ... don't forget (because I'm the High Priest of CYA), to keep a backup of the data ini... right down to the first tile listing (just right on top of it)

[TerrainMesh]

TextureThreshold=0.80

LowDetailMeshThreshold=0.50

MedDetailMeshThreshold=0.30

TileToHeightGridRatio=4

RenderMeshVertexCount=4096

RenderMeshIndexCount=16384

SolidObjectVertexCount=12288

SolidObjectIndexCount=18432

AlphaObjectVertexCount=8192

AlphaObjectIndexCount=12288

[HeightField]

DetailScale=1.0

DetailFrequency=1.0

MaxHeight=1000

MinHeight=0

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.5

WaterMesh=0.8

[NormalTextureMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terTerrainEffect.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

BlendOp=ONE

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=NO_OP

[WaterTextureMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terWaterEffect.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=TRUE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

SpecularColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

SpecularPower=10.000000

Reflectivity=0.00000

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

BlendOp=ONE

NumTextureStages=1

[backgroundMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terFarTerrainEffect.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

BlendOp=ONE

NumTextureStages=1

[solidObjectTextureMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terSolidObject.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

BlendOp=ONE

NumTextureStages=1

[AlphaObjectTextureMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terAlphaObject.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=NO_CULL

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

ZBufferOffset=2.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

that should get it working

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

well, got all the tiling issues fixed (took 8 hours!) ... even made some 'repairs' to wellington (mind you, due to size/scaling issues with the objects, the airport is NOT in it's correct location), the bay inlet looks a little closer to reality

just have to move all the airports into the center of the cleared zones, move the city 'targets' to their appropriatly tiled regions...

I'm loving that huge volcano at the top of North Island!

edit: also generated to real planning maps; not perfect but a lot better then the height map bmp that was being used.

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Nice! :drinks:

well, got all the tiling issues fixed (took 8 hours!) ... even made some 'repairs' to wellington (mind you, due to size/scaling issues with the objects, the airport is NOT in it's correct location), the bay inlet looks a little closer to reality

just have to move all the airports into the center of the cleared zones, move the city 'targets' to their appropriatly tiled regions...

I'm loving that huge volcano at the top of North Island!

edit: also generated to real planning maps; not perfect but a lot better then the height map bmp that was being used.

wrench

kevin stein

I must correct myself ... retiling is NOT done. I decieded to go ahead and do some additions. Hope you like rivers*! Also added a couple more cities (right now, just reworking North Island -- south will come after). Swapped out a few airfields ... far too many 1/5/6s are being used, instead of smaller 'aerodromes/airports' -they are also named wrong in the original

Targeting, however as I don't have enough time to really do it up right, I need a local volenteer ... how about it Dan? You up to learning?? Might as well recruit the local talent! If not, I can do some very basic targeting, and after Cuba and Central America and American Midwest, go in and really detail it (want to add the Weta Studios, and The Shire!!! :lol: btw ... can a 3dguy build me Minas Tirith???)

wrench

kevin stein

*=unfortunately, due to terrain countours, and tilesize issues, cannot add all of them

Auckland and Devonport (in progress)

wrench

kevin stein

What would that invole? I have no experience with terrain modding what so ever......

I must correct myself ... retiling is NOT done. I decieded to go ahead and do some additions. Hope you like rivers*! Also added a couple more cities (right now, just reworking North Island -- south will come after). Swapped out a few airfields ... far too many 1/5/6s are being used, instead of smaller 'aerodromes/airports' -they are also named wrong in the original

Targeting, however as I don't have enough time to really do it up right, I need a local volenteer ... how about it Dan? You up to learning?? Might as well recruit the local talent! If not, I can do some very basic targeting, and after Cuba and Central America and American Midwest, go in and really detail it (want to add the Weta Studios, and The Shire!!! :lol: btw ... can a 3dguy build me Minas Tirith???)

wrench

kevin stein

*=unfortunately, due to terrain countours, and tilesize issues, cannot add all of them

how about adding more trees :please: maybe Stary could do some magic here

Now thats looking great... :drinks:

Time to get the New Zealand Air Force ready... aaaaahhh dang it they don't have one... Can the RAF lend them a few Eurofighters... aaaahhh Dang it they don't have any spare... oh well lets go a stooging around in an O-1E... :rofl:

already ipmorted the J-series TODs, plus GJ and RJ transitions. Got some real dense forests on the mountains. Gotta love Star's trees!

Had to (re)make a cityport tile last night for Napier's harbor. Hawke's Bay airport is misplaced (furthr west and a little south) of it's real life ™ position, due to the rivers and ocean proximity. (screenies later)

The reason I asked, is

1) Local Talent -knows the area well

2) I'm backed up trying to finish off the Cuba terrain for OTC, and I promised Flogger23 two years ago Panama/Central America would be next.

3) easily trainable person ( :grin: ) If one can do skins....hell, I taught Piecemeal how to target! Look what he's done!

I've GOT to finish Cuba; I can have a fully rebuilt NZ, probably, by the end of May, if lucky. If you all can wait that long, it'll be worth it. As always

wrench

kevin stein

as promised...Napier harbor.

Awsome work mate, let me know what/how you want me to do and I'll give it a crack :drinks:

dtmdragon you should checkout Wrenches shipwreck mod read me it give you all info you need for target placement btw Im a jaffa too

Slartibartfast there's the Tigermoth mod you could rebadge to use.

given it's using ye olde stock WOE/SF2E tiles layout my tods from for example HR Germany repaint would fit just fine most of the tiles, even better the old Forrests and Farms, IF you're willing to repaint cows into wargs...

...or preferably Green Hell3 TODs, as the layout is 99% the same for GermanyCE and VIetnamSEA (lazy you! Thirdwire guys! :tongue: )

and the tile naming conventions are the same between VNSEA and GCE -- once one learns the various suffixes (SJ/SC/RJ/GJ, etc), it's not diffucult to switch between TE/tilesets. Even added some roads, but had to delete them as they just didn't fit right, so that's that with them!

I'm using the trees TOD from the last GermanyCE set you did, Stary. Cities I'm leaving alone (when one gets used to the hi-rez, hi-detailed tiles, the stock one just look so icky!!)

I can have a "basic"* targeted terrain in "2 Weeks", but I want to triple check the movements ini too, as Im sure its not the least bit accurate (as was the frontline -- waaaaaayyyyyy the hell off!!

wrench

kevin stein

*=basic targeting means minimal 'generic' target objects; with some support AD units (meaning: every city must have an evildamncommbuilding

Edited by Wrench

some of bigger hangars/storage facilities from my "generic hangars pack" serve well as evildamncommbuildings too (just for change of looks)

edit:

no they do not, I thought about warehouses, not commbuilding, sorry

I never liked the introduction of road tiles to be honest, they're PIA to paint, 100x bigger to lay down, and serve minimal or no purpose in my opinion

Edited by Stary

thats why I painted the road sections ... they still suck, though!! :lol: (look at the new Korea terrain ... a real PIA to link all those cursed things!)

wrench

kevin stein

thats why I painted the road sections ... they still suck, though!! :lol: (look at the new Korea terrain ... a real PIA to link all those cursed things!)

wrench

kevin stein

Looking very Good Mr.Wrench. Note there is an active volcano in the Bay of Plenty too not currently mapped called White island. Plus the Beehieve is missing from Wellington. It would be nice to have it as a target. I would like to bomb it from time to time, it would make feel better.

James Forkes

aka James Fox

I wish we had active volcanos .. I"d fiddled with something like that for WW2 New Guinea, but never got it working (would also be cool for WW2 Tunisia, as well as Libya as Vesuvisis and Etna are both on the maps)

Safe to assume the Beehive is a government facility or a sport arena?? :rofl: (time to visit Google/GoogleEarth!)

EDIT: ok now I know what it is...

well, a new 3d item would be needed; sketchup (3d Warehouse) has it, but since I'm not a 3d-guy.....

IF someone converts it, and remaps, I can place it!

Edited by Wrench

Kevin, you might have a look at the new objects I send to you for Korea terrain to... :wink:

was that the "reworked" buildings with bump mapping? (as shown below)

don't remember exactly, but they're direct replacements for stock? A couple look new...are there types entries for them, or do I just make them up?

k

Edited by Wrench
added the questions

Yes, they're just meshes without any ini files (which I have in my Korea install too) yes most were meant to be replacements in KAW, but you surely can and are encouraged to rename, re-use, re-label and do all the creative work with them :good: