Sign in to follow this  
Dave

9 Hours 47 min until FURLOW!

and a wayyyyyyyyyy we goooooo...

I passed up the GS slot and stayed in the contracting business. My two contracts are fully funded, so for now I keep going.

But a lot of task orders and contracts are just sitting waiting for funding.

Oh well. I've got enough leave saved up to outlast the Congresscritters!

My contract is paid thru May 31, so this will have to last some time for me to be shut out.

Of course, I'm shut out one way or the other come Oct 1 when our portion of the contract is in-sourced. Sigh.

My contract is paid thru May 31, so this will have to last some time for me to be shut out.

Of course, I'm shut out one way or the other come Oct 1 when our portion of the contract is in-sourced. Sigh.

I know what you mean. My previous slot was in-sourced (with 3 years left on the contract). I elected to move on to other tasks within my company. Better and more opportunities. So far that has worked out well.

I get double hosed.....I'm a GS-9 and an E-6.....no pay for me.... Then if you count my wife who is an Army E-7....the trifecta of ass rapeage..

Can anyone explain, without using penis euphemisms, what the heck exactly is happening your side of the Atlantic?

Well, we were told today that if the stoppage happens, they'll pay us for only 8 days. However, we're expected to show up at work and work for no pay. I plan on showing on Monday and letting them know where I'll be. And it won't be at work. Most likely looking for a side job to help pay for my bills. UCMJ be damned. They broke the faith...

The guys and girls out on deployment are really screwed. They have no options.

Way to go Barry!

Can anyone explain, without using penis euphemisms, what the heck exactly is happening your side of the Atlantic?

Without going into politics - impossible.

Without taking sides -

The Democrats who controlled the House, Senate and WH last year did not pass a budget for this year. (it was higly political - I'll decline comment)

So now, without a budget, operations have been funded by Continuing Resolutions. The last one ran out today (actually at midnight)

The Republican House has proposed CR's and a rest-of-year Budget that makes some minor cuts to the $1.5 Trillion portion of the budget which they can affect.

The Senate will not agree to that .05% of cuts.

The President has vowed to veto the latest proposal even if it passed the Senate - which it won't and the Senate won't even schedule a hearing to consider it.

So the Congress and WH are deadlocked and the funding ends at midnight.

In a shutdown, the President has the authority to designate who is Mission Essential and who is not. In the past when this has happened (and it has from time to time - this is nothing new. We joked at one time during the Carter years about "working for peanuts" and really being in an "All Volunteer" military) the military was off-limits. Not this time. The President has specifically included the military into the mix. The active duty types have to report for duty, but may not get paid on time, until the budget is settled. Programs that are not fully funded, are stopped. Military operations will continue, we just won't pay the troops carrying out the operations.

Of note, the DIC payment is specifically suspended during the shutdown! (this will make sense only to US military personnel, if you don't get it, don't worry about it)

That, in short, is what is going on right now.

I've left the specific issues off in order to stay out of the political issues being fought over.

Thank God I built up a reserve while I was at Thule!

Edited my post because it breaks the rules.Might be a good idea to shove this in the political forum so we can sound off.

Edited by SopmodMikeFour