Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Twister

Tornados are hitting harder than ever in the US southwest, specially Alabama. 247 lives have been comfirmed to be lost so far. Lets hope it stays put.

Edit: 263 killed last time i checked. Btw, it would be good to hear about members in the area being Ok

Edited by macelena

We're with you America !! :good:

Wish you all the strenght in this ordeal ....

Houdoe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

8000 years of civilization, 60 years of electronic technology, and there is still nothing the mankind can do to avert the erratic course of such climatic phenomenons. The best that can be done is to maintain the best trained and reactive rescue forces. No more cuts in budgets for that matter, I hope. Katrina 2005 was an expensively-taught lesson, I hope it was also an advantageously-learnt one.

My prayer for the toll not to inflate any more. :good:

8000 years of civilization, 60 years of electronic technology, and there is still nothing the mankind can do to avert the erratic course of such climatic phenomenons. The best that can be done is to maintain the best trained and reactive rescue forces. No more cuts in budgets for that matter, I hope. Katrina 2005 was an expensively-taught lesson, I hope it was also an advantageously-learnt one.

Can't do anything about twisters. When they happen,they happen and that's it. Once they are going it's more or less a matter of pure chance.

I always wondered what for instance the eplosion of a heavy fuel-air weapon (if made useable under such conditions) or any other heavy, non-nuclear device, would do to a tornado. A big bang may disrupt things to a certain extent, maybe preventing lots of damage

Houdoe,

Derk

The best that can be done is to maintain the best trained and reactive rescue forces.

Not by itself. All things together here along with minimizing the damage through design or building method, and escape or prep warning when possible.

But mostly, men and women will always live where the Earth is the most fertile, and that's probably always where the Earth is the most dangerous -- rich volcanic soil or flood plain soil for examples.

I always wondered what for instance the eplosion of a heavy fuel-air weapon (if made useable under such conditions) or any other heavy, non-nuclear device, would do to a tornado. A big bang may disrupt things to a certain extent, maybe preventing lots of damage

Houdoe,

Derk

The tornado that hit Tuscaloosa, Alabama, was reportedly a mile wide (1.6 km) at its base. I believe that even a MOAB would come up quite short against something of that power.

I once encountered three waterspouts (tornados on the ocean's surface) off the Florida keys. Avoiding them made for an interesting and rather creative boat-handling drill....and one that I'd rather not find myself repeating.

Would underground housing (nuclear-bunker-style like the one seen in the movie "Red") be able to withstand such forces? Probably... And proof that such buildings can be stylish can be found in the series "A town called Eureka"... :yes:

look up Ben Bova's old scifi book "The Weathermakers"

I'd reccomend dumping liquid nitrogen in the region of the funnel; after all, tornados and hurricanes are heat engines; remove the heat, and the engine stalls

wrench

kevin stein

The tornado that hit Tuscaloosa, Alabama, was reportedly a mile wide (1.6 km) at its base. I believe that even a MOAB would come up quite short against something of that power.

Well, just very curious about it, don't think anyone ever tried something like it and I can hardly find anything on research on the subject. It seems the Russkies have something 4 times bigger than the MOAB. Looking at the number of victims and the damage lately it would be worth developing something. Disrupting the pattern of a tornado did at least work on a very small scale when they did tests with firecrackers (!) in an artificial tornado in a laboratorium..... But it may very well be that there have been calculations showing that it's useless, but I can't find anything on it.

Houdoe,

Derk

Well, you could nuke the tornado. If it doesn´t stop it, it will be the lesser of your troubles lol

It seems the weather is calming down a bit, let´s hope this is over.