Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

New US Stealth Transport Troop Helicopter?

I think sound supression is really the objective here with making the MH-60 a "stealthier" helicopter.

If there's one thing I think everyone can give Pakistan credit for, it's playing both sides for its own benefit. They are masters at it. They're not on anyone's side but their own, and if your interests and theirs coincide you are de facto allies until further notice in that area. Other areas? A later date? Maybe not.

• Like 1

If there's one thing I think everyone can give Pakistan credit for, it's playing both sides for its own benefit. They are masters at it. They're not on anyone's side but their own, and if your interests and theirs coincide you are de facto allies until further notice in that area. Other areas? A later date? Maybe not.

sovereignty :good:

Sovereignty is well and good, but so is loyalty.

That real strange thiung is that there are realy no infos about this version available on the internet. We have more infos about the PAK FA than about this :drinks:

That's because it's not a new design, like the PAK FA is. It's a modification of an existing design that was likely done on a very small scale. I'm sure there are less than a dozen of these helos and they were probably done inside a hangar at night at some base or other with few people involved.

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110510-above-tearline-us-stealth-helicopter?utm_source=SWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=110512&utm_content=watchvideo&elq=312a552a71284122a12774a3216946d2

Some more on this helo.

A caveat - this is an open source analysis by Stratfor, which is a private organization tha provides intelligence analysis to their clients. I take what they say with a ton of salt. So take this for what it is worth.

At any rate - an interesting analysis which is in line with my previous comment that this is essentially some bolt on shrouds to an existing H-60 which reduce the radar and audio signals of the helo.

Some bolt on wouldn't explain the different tail rotor blade count or the split stab, though. It was a bigger effort than just slapping on pieces.

I think this is like the F-117, it uses components from other helos but its a diferent desing, the tail section is completly diferent than anything i know off

Edited by rotarycrazy

When I first saw the pics I said WTF is that....the I started to notice all the different contours and visual differences.....I kinda want to see it just becauese I love Military aircraft as you allknow......but another part of me says dont release it just yet.....but if China gets their greedy little hands on it (absolutely No offense to our chinese friends on this site) then we should make sure that it doesnt get to china....or we release photos of it

I'd say that the second pic is more close to reality than the top one SayWhat?! but that's just a guess based on the other photos.

Based on what my friends and myself know about the 60 in my opinion the drawings look plausible. The two gripes I have with the drawings is that the tail rotor is on the wrong side of the tail and the main rotor is shown in the wrong direction of rotation. As for the "stealth fairings" over the exhausts, these are known as HIRSS or Helicopter Infra-Red Suppression System, they are to negate the bird IR signature, I suppose that some suppression of engine noise is possible but not likely. The rotor blade tips are angled to delay the shock wave of the blade tips, believe me, even an unstealthed 60 can be on you before you know it if the approach is made at low-level and high speed. There was a lot of conjecture and speculation among my former squadron mates regarding the bird, and we are talking a lot of man-year experience in this select group. My money in on a conventional airframe with a highly modified rotor system and judicious application of radar absorbent materials.

Remember they can't be that stealthy, a Pakistani computer geek outed them on Twitter :crazy:

A lot of rotor noise is caused by main rotor downwash on the tail rotor. Shrouded tails like the HH-65 have are one way to alleviate that, another is the NOTAR system used on those MD500 derivatives.

Increasing the blade count will help as well, to a lesser degree, but I'd say that compared to the UH-1 (where the rotor sounds dominate) the loudest part of the UH-60 is the engines. I know around here I hear the HH-60s' engines a lot more than I hear the rotors.