Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

OFF is not getting to me!

So I have just come back off holiday. I have been catching up at work and teaching someone new, and it's been a bit fraught. I just managed to squeeze in one reconnaissance flight in the blinding snow and I have been reading the second hand copy of 'They Called It Passchendaele' I bought on holiday. Under those circumstances anyone could could have written the year down slightly wrong in an email ... and put 1917.

Ok ... I may need help.

Well, number 1 is included in both dates, and number 7 looks almost like number 1, while number 9 resembles 0, so it's pretty close, overall.

Not really. Get some help, quickly! :grin:

During my leave, I visited a very old fishermen's village in Eastfriesland,

and one small cottage, ducked behind the dyke, carried the iron numbers 1897.

So it was built more or less, when MvR was born.

Then it isn't that long ago, it seems.

(If this wasn't helping - get yourself professional help) :grin:

You don't need help but I think you deserve a Barmy badge. :dntknw:

You don't need help but I think you deserve a Barmy badge. :dntknw:

I'd be proud.

Demented, but proud!

You may have just hit on a new tagline Wayfarer:

The Barmy OFFers Club - Demented, but proud!

Thank you, Hasse Wind! :drinks:

Wayfarer, I will write to our president about the badge - you shall get one.

I'd would have to agree that anyone who is so deeply into OFF and the whole WWI experience that he inadvertently notes the year in a correspondence as '1917' is most assuredly barmy enough for the club. Welcome aboard Wayfarer!

And Shiloh, remember our official club motto: "Per Dementia Ad Astra". :grin:

Oh, and a big "Welcome Back!" to you Olham.

Thank you, Lou, and cheers, Wayfarer!

:drinks:

Edited by Olham

Hauksbee, I will talk to the president - I'm sure he will agree, that you should also receive the BOC Members badge.

Oh, I do agree Olham, and it's not only Hauksbee's above comment that points to his OFF/WWI barmyness, but even more so his website and blog. Here are two examples of his work that clearly illustrate just how hopelessly gone he is:

LAST%20AWARD.gif

FFT%232_front.jpg

Welcome to the BOC Hauksbee! BTW, membership in this most dubious organization should definitely be added to your resume. :grin:

Welcome to the club, Hauksbee!

If you don't mind, I'll have a bucket of virtual Warsteiner - it is extremely warm here right now.

Great idea to show the works of "our house-own" artist here, Lou - thank you.

Contact ( tink ... tink ... tink ... ) Clear!

That's some really fine artwork there Hauksbee and welcome to our cult - uhhh group. We all like our virtual drinks here but whatever you do don't drink the Kool-Aid. :grin:

I'd would have to agree that anyone who is so deeply into OFF and the whole WWI experience that he inadvertently notes the year in a correspondence as '1917' is most assuredly barmy enough for the club. Welcome aboard Wayfarer!

And Shiloh, remember our official club motto: "Per Dementia Ad Astra". :grin:

Oh, and a big "Welcome Back!" to you Olham.

Thanks everyone!

We had an overnight stay in Oxfordshire last night so I only just got back to the forum. I'll post my official thanks on the Barmy OFFers post. I think there are some instructions there about how to display the badge, aren't there?

STOP PRESS - just spotted RAF Louvert's PM with the instructions in - so thanks again!

Edited by Wayfarer

Those illustrations by Hauksbee are simply stupendous. I really wish that I had that sort of ability - written reports pale into comparison.

Imagine my shock and surprise as I was perusing the Forum for interesting titbits and found myself (1) face-to-face with artwork of mine from 30 years ago, and, (2) inducted into the Barmy Officers Club to boot. I am mindful of the honor, but (re-calling Groucho Marx) I questioned the wisdom of belonging to a club that would have me for a member. Still, what's done is done. I've received my badge, I've displayed it, (proudly..of course) and plan to retain my membership until I'm the last bloke standing at the bar in the Officers Mess. (IF...I'm the last bloke standing.) However; I must add a caveat to the laurels heaped upon me by this august company: I most definitely have not let OFF get to me! The bullet-hole decals on all the windows of this house (and car) are merely an enthusiasm; the bookcase (knocked askew and half residing in the kitchen) was the result of hurling myself from the cockpit at the very last second. (Close one, that. 'Could happen to anyone.) But apart from these minor excesses (and a few others) I am firmly in control. I can quit any time I want.

Looks like a true Prussian soldier. And the illustrations are great! :grin:

Hauksbee wrote:

I am firmly in control. I can quit any time I want.

Oh yes, I quite agree, it's easy to quit OFF. I've done it a hundred times myself.

Your post sounds like written by a long time ace, who only just realised, that he is an ace,

while he was since long time overtaken by his own fame.

But fortunately you still have the one ace to play: you have never ever let OFF get to you! :rofl:

Your self portrait in German uniform seems to tell me, that you have already started with the binge

for the Barmy OFFers Club membership? Otherwise it would be a very casual and irregular way

of wearing a German uniform, Soldat.

I guess, by the way, that most of our members have Groucho's doubts about their membership.

Actually, the way I usually quit OFF is by getting shot out of the air. And the casual manner in which I wear the uniform is due to the nearly four years I took care of my Mum. 'Had me rather house-bound and I just got too fat to button it. I'm working on that.

Hey, good - I'm not alone!

I also got a bit stronger round the equator, and next week my daily jogging will begin.

...and next week my daily jogging will begin.

Let me know if it works. Maybe I'll try it too.