Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Modifying the cockpit of the N17 (Lewis)

In all my years of flying WW1 flight sims in seems I usually spend the bulk of my flight time, being a fan of the 1917 era, 50/50 between the Alb/DIII and the Nieuport 17....until OFF that is....now I get almost no flight time with the Nieuport.

While I have no doubt the cockpit is very realistic I find the cockpit layout to be very confining with poor visibility and a large monitor, FOV settings, and TrackIR can never duplicate the "real life" ability to peek, look, duck, glance, etc.

My idea was, ala Albert Ball, to remove the windscreen (if possible) from the cockpit by removing it from the .dds file that makes up the N17 cockpit.

I looked for the graphic file (.dds) that makes up the N17 cockpit but I could not determine which one it was.

Could some kind soul give me a steer?

Sorry I can't help Duke as I know nothing of these things but I'm with you on this. I recently tested a Nieup. 28? and although the handling of the plane wasn't bad, but that windscreen limited my visibility to the point where I simply did not want to fly that crate.

Edited by Shiloh

Thanks anyway Shiloh.

After being away for two months I just did a test flight in it and, for some reason, it doesn't seem so bad now.

Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder! I have been missng my 60 Squadron career.

Part of the issue, I think, is when I switch careers from the excellent visibility of the Alb series to the mediocre visibility of the Nieuport it seems worse than perhaps it is.

Still, if anyone knows the name of the cockpit .dds I would not mind taking a hacksaw to it.

as long as i know you only have to press shift+c and the windscreen is gone :salute:

as long as i know you only have to press shift+c and the windscreen is gone :salute:

That works on some Nieuport (don't know which), not on all.

Duke, you cannot just remove the "monitor" from the dds file only.

That file is only the graphic texture laid over the aircraft modell.

But the windshield would still appear as a modelled part.

Try all Nupes with Creaghorn's advice - should work on some.

There were several complaints about this, and I hope Pol and Winder read this;

I guess/hope they will make them all downfoldable for P4.

Edited by Olham

That file is only the graphic texture laid over the aircraft modell.

But the windshield would still appear as a modelled part.

Ah yes - this would be a rather large problem!

And thanks Creaghorn but IIRC the Shift + c works for the N17 (Vickers) that the french fly and not the N17 (Lewis) that the British fly.

But I'll try it again.

I know a lot of folks find the 'letter slot' windscreen on the Nieup 17 to be a real pain, but I have to say that I got used to it quite early on and do just as well with it as I do with the other nimble fighters in OFF. Well, all except for the Camel, as it is in a class all by itself. With that kite I can fly rings around everything else.

The screens are as they were, and the heads are placed where they should be. Many of the Nieuports' windows you could not fold down, and they were cramped. Try zooming out a notch or two with [ ] keys? or change the FoV in workshop. Or press F3 and have a totally uncluttered view. Nice and easy but not realistic but we can't change them without changing the aircraft to something it wasn't?

For me this is the whole point of flying WW1 - tasting the difficulties pilots had to deal with back, when you cannot trim out many craft, or they are often poor view, (Dh5 rear?) poor power (Pup), with poor guns (most early Allied!) and us poor sods have to fly these deathtraps ;)

Try the DFW if you really want to see what a poor view is like !

With TIR it helps you can move around some, plus you can lean in to the glass to see more or move back etc.

Or press F4 to get an outside view for ultimate comfort :)

Once you have oil soaked goggles in the 100mph wind I'm sure the real one would quiet be tricky too so at least we don't have that to deal with I guess.

If zooming out makes it worse, zoom in one or two notches.

I am not the Nieuport man, but from what I saw, it WAS a very narrow craft,

and it's pilots WERE crammed in.

Lots of space and a perfect vision on the other hand in the Albatros! :grin:

(Did I ever mention anywhere, that I love the Albatros?)

Edited by Olham

Yeah plus the sesqui-wing on the Noops and later in the Albatros gives a goodish down view to compensate. Some might have a super windscreen but horrible wing placements (DH5 great forward, awful behind) or engine (DFW cough).

Although I must say this for the good old DFW - she keeps your nose warm in winter! :brr:

Once you have oil soaked goggles in the 100mph wind I'm sure the real one would quiet be tricky too so at least we don't have that to deal with I guess.

Damn...never had my "man-card" pulled in OFF before - and by one of the Devs! :yikes:

Guess I will STFU and fly and die like a real man! :rofl:

(Did I ever mention anywhere, that I love the Albatros?)

What!?! Really?

Yes, the "Shift + C" brings down the wing mounted Lewis on the N17 (Lewis) in a simulated reload.

Message also pops up in the upper right corner saying "Canopy Opening" and "Canopy Closing". Thought I had those messages shut off in the cfs3config.exe but apparently not.