Sign in to follow this  
End1e551

New to game with a few questions

If you want to. you can try a paid subscription. it removes the download limit

I would, but I'm a broke sob who's saving up for some Track IR 5 action.

I'm going to assume that the list is in install order as well?

Okay, third mission in the Rolling Thunder campaign and guess what... shot down by AAA again! I was flying the F4B.

Does anyone have or know where there's a video showing someone flying successfully through AAA / Flak? I would love to see it, as well as use it as a learning tool.

This is getting ridiculous...

In Vietnam stay away from the ground. There aren't many enemy fighters and the game's version of SAM is dangerous only if you ignore it completely. High calibre machine guns will punch holes in you if you stay low there.

In Vietnam stay away from the ground. There aren't many enemy fighters and the game's version of SAM is dangerous only if you ignore it completely. High calibre machine guns will punch holes in you if you stay low there.

I'm a bit confused then I guess... The flight plan given at the start of the mission wanted me to fly at 390 KTS and 1600 FT. Is it worth following their flight plan for missions, or scrap it and go in at whatever altitude / speed you like?

Altitude doesn't matter for the game. By the way, you can drag most of your waypoints with the mouse in the briefing map screen and also use W and Shift W keys in flight to switch between waypoints, eg to head right for home base after dropping bombs.

Is there any documentation on the different AA in game? I see they have info in the manual for the AI planes and different weapons, but nothing else. I guess if not I should make a note of what's getting me each time and look it up online? I'd like to get their effective ranges so I can plan altitue / waypoints more effectively.

google?

search "Soviet anti-aircraft guns"

while you there, might as well read up on the SAMs too

google?

search "Soviet anti-aircraft guns"

while you there, might as well read up on the SAMs too

To be fair, that's not really a good suggestion. That's not the best way for him to learn about the AAA in the game. There are only a few AAA guns included in the stock game, so it doesn't make sense for him to read up on every soviet AAA gun ever created on the internet.

My advice would be to take note of what's getting you each time, or look through the ground objects folder in the objects folder in the saved games directory. Then just google the ones that are relevant.

Ignore the altitudes and speeds the game assigns. Like it's been said before, either say down in the weeds (<100ft) or up higher around 5000'. If you're in enemy territory or near anything that might shoot at you and any lower than 5000', try going as fast as you can without using afterburner (will be different speeds depending on what you're flying). Or if you're near the target or there is a lot going on, use the after burner to go even faster.

For example, in SF2V, I try to go at least 500kts once I'm in Indian Country. Faster if I can.

Finally, a successful A-10 mission! Thanks for the info everyone, it really helped! :clapping:

I did some research, and it's the ZPU-2 AAA that was causing me grief. I did some reading about it online. I tried a mission again, and stayed at 5000 ft altitude. I also took an extra 2 A-10's with me on the flight. We were hit pretty hard by MiG's, with one casualty and another damaged, but no one was taken by AAA fire!

It really seems if you gain altitude to avoid the AAA, the MiG's get after you. If you go low to avoid the MiG's, the AAA does you in. A very different and interesting plane with quite a few challenges.