dtmdragon

Game crashes at 80% loaded with add on terrains and SF2NA

MigBuster - SF2:NA in Default Location on SSD with full 5 merged. Also tested with a stand-alone "Mod-test" SF2:E install on E: mechanical drive. All at Apr '12. I keep the E: drive SF2:E separate so I can test mods before I move them to my Merged install so it's completely stand-alone.

Edited by ianh755

no issues no the taiwan terrain for but i dint updated the terrain whit the water bmp and naval map things im run all from SF2E exe

It is definatly a problem with something in the GroundObject folder!

If I move that folder out of my install then the game runs perfectly!

If I move the GoundObject folder back in my install it hangs at 80% in most of the third party terrains!

I try to track down the problem but that is a sloooooooow work, I have many groundobjects! If only the SF2*.exe files had some sort of LOG parameter!

Logging the exe file can solve the problem.

In the racegame GTR2 there is a -trace parameter and it shows you all problems in a logfile if the game hangs or CTD.

Wish SF2NA.exe or the other exe files for the merged installs also had some parameter like that!

My best regards, Kodiak.

:salute:

Kodiak, see if Sysinternals process monitor might help.

It is definatly a problem with something in the GroundObject folder!

If I move that folder out of my install then the game runs perfectly!

If I move the GoundObject folder back in my install it hangs at 80% in most of the third party terrains!

I try to track down the problem but that is a sloooooooow work, I have many groundobjects! If only the SF2*.exe files had some sort of LOG parameter!

Logging the exe file can solve the problem.

In the racegame GTR2 there is a -trace parameter and it shows you all problems in a logfile if the game hangs or CTD.

Wish SF2NA.exe or the other exe files for the merged installs also had some parameter like that!

My best regards, Kodiak.

its most likely a formation issue or nations issue

i had that problem a fewe times back SF 1 but never found the objects that did that i just reinstall all and revert to stock formations

and edited formations in the nations ini to stock to out WW2 formations stiles

dont know if that the case here

kodiak: try renameing all the ships EXCEPT all the SF/SFNA stock one, to something like xtrawler, for example.

if we remove all the add-on cargoships, trawlers, tugs, combatants...maybe it can be narrowed down to those.

just an idea.

kodiak: try renameing all the ships EXCEPT all the SF/SFNA stock one, to something like xtrawler, for example.

if we remove all the add-on cargoships, trawlers, tugs, combatants...maybe it can be narrowed down to those.

just an idea.

Will give it a try.

I'll report back later with the result.

My best regards, Kodiak.

PS, if anybody knows a good debugger for games, let me know.

I normally use OllyDBG, but that one hangs when using together with SF2 :rolleyes:

Edited by Kodiak

never mind ... I just tried it, and it changed nothing on either cubaotc or libya.

now, i'm running this mostly in my SF2 'all is everything mod'. I wonder if something hasn't been fully updated for SF2/E/V/I

odd thing is, they all worked before the April patch.

its most likely a formation issue or nations issue

i had that problem a fewe times back SF 1 but never found the objects that did that i just reinstall all and revert to stock formations

and edited formations in the nations ini to stock to out WW2 formations stiles

dont know if that the case here

I use the default formations.ini file and my nations.ini is only edited by adding AGRS and RANGE as nations for the bombing range.

I doubt this is the problem now.

But every input is welcome.

My best regards, Kodiak.

never mind ... I just tried it, and it changed nothing on either cubaotc or libya.

now, i'm running this mostly in my SF2 'all is everything mod'. I wonder if something hasn't been fully updated for SF2/E/V/I

odd thing is, they all worked before the April patch.

Same here, problems started with the April patch.

But if not the ships then I think something else in the groundobject folder.

If you rename your groundobject folder to BACKUPgroundobject and then start the game I bet it runs OK.

Then rename it back to groundobject and the trouble starts again. So... :dntknw:

My best regards, Kodiak.

Yup, that most certainly works!! (just tried it)

so, now begins the diagnostic ... adding back GOs until it f***s up again....

I"ll start by readdind AD units (Hawks, bofors, skysweeper, other sams and such) before starting with ships

ok, right now I can tell you what it's NOT...

a tank (including IFVs)

a truck

a SAM launcher

a SAM radar

an EWR

a AAA gun, MAPADS, or AD vehicle

a group of infantry (including my Zombies & Hangar Hos!)

an artillery gun (incudling rocket arty)

are we seeing a pattern emerging???

my USNCargoShip seems to work ok ... although I DID update it as per the stock cargoshop, with a _COL.lod

unfortunately, I'm leaving in a couple of hours, won't be back till late tonight, and then gone all weekend, with no comp/net access until Sunday night.

so, somebody pleaset start testing all the 'little boats'. I've got a feeling it's either one or more of the warships or the various cargo vessels; even though many are being used at terrain objects (albeit called from the GO folder) when docked in port.

Mine also works fine with a stock ground objects folder. I will attempt to narrow it down alphabetically by taking half of every thing out of my ground objects folder at a time till I no longer get a crash and simply repeat that process till I narrow it right down.

First round of results: Fault is with one of the ground objects '2S6' through to 'RPG-7.'

Ground objects 'S-60' through to 'Zulfiqar' and all the loose .LOD and BMP files in my ground objects folder work ok.

EDIT: 'HAWK_CWAR' through to 'RPG-7' also work fine so the culprit is somewhere between '2S6' and 'GrizzlyM'

EDIT: '2S6' through to 'BTR-ZU-23' all work so the problem is in one of the ground objects 'CA-30' through to 'GrizzlyM'

Edited by dtmdragon

all the SAMS seem to work ... from SA-2 throuh SA5 (I don't have the 10, 11, or 12 atm)

Stingers and strela's are ok

all AA guns, SPAAA (Roland, ADATS, the hummers and strykers) ok.

very much narrowed it down to a ship .... I'd start looking at the MV series; the RO-ROs that we've all 'liberated' from the Falklands mods. The smallcargoships is fair -- I've updated it, as is the USNCargoShip

attached are some ships that I've fixed so far... most are replacement for thos that came in some terrains; the FSS is a brand NEW vessel, that comes from the Persian Gulf terrain mod -- you all get to see it first (it's a general "Fleet Support Ship"

FSS

HEC (Hig Endurance Cutter, USGC, from cubaotc)

Oiler

OreCarrier (from CenUS)

SmallCargoShip

Tanker2

USNCargoShip

please unzip and allow the overwrites for whatever they replace

there are several other 'new' ships (ie: repaints/repurposed), but they'll have to wait

edit: these arejust the ship, without the guns and stuff

Edited by Wrench

Keep up the good work! :clapping:

I am almost nuts and cross eyed from searching!!! :blink:

My best regards, Kodiak.

Scap that idea I had to narrow it down! The above process worked really well and I was narrowing down the faulty ground object, I was using the year 2012 as well as the Darwin and Taiwan terrains as my test with all different mission types. Unfortunately when I double checked on a different terrain the game locked up at the usual 80% so then I went back to the Darwin terrain and tried a mission in 1980 and it also locked up.

So from that tells me their are multiple ground objects across different years affecting different terrains???? :sad:

Edited by dtmdragon

Wrench,

As far as ships go I only have the stock ships and the ships that have been updated to SF2NA standards in my install and I still get the lock up at 80%

I went through my install and deleted all the 3rd party ships when I updated to SF2NA so unless I missed one it cant be any of the old ships causing the problem.

Guest Pfunk

OK, let me get this straight, because if I write this, I do not want to be wrong.

If you include any of the stock or third-party ships as target_types.ini entries, everything gets Fedexed to hell in a handcart in campaign play.

Because I've modded the Desert Fury campaign and the Desert terrain's water.bmp file to allow carrier groups and it works fine.

Need some clarification if I can get it.

OK, let me get this straight, because if I write this, I do not want to be wrong.

If you include any of the stock or third-party ships as target_types.ini entries, everything gets Fedexed to hell in a handcart in campaign play.

Because I've modded the Desert Fury campaign and the Desert terrain's water.bmp file to allow carrier groups and it works fine.

Need some clarification if I can get it.

I'm almost certain that is the cause of it. I went through the Waterworld and Taiwan TYPES.ini files, ripped out all the ships except for the stock cargo ship entries, and so far no more crashes! I've attached the modified files, so check it out for yourself.

Taiwan & WW fix.rar

I'm not getting any more lock ups with Taiwan and the new taiwan_types file so hopefully that’s the issue, unfortunately that means a bit of work changing all the TYPES files.

I'm almost certain that is the cause of it. I went through the Waterworld and Taiwan TYPES.ini files, ripped out all the ships except for the stock cargo ship entries, and so far no more crashes! I've attached the modified files, so check it out for yourself.

Edited by dtmdragon

so, it's the ship ground objects, being used as terrain object then....

iirc, on Waterworl, there should only be a few of those; cargo ship, "The Dez" (which I'll update), and a single docked OHP, and the PLAN DDs...

i'll have a look at them

Actually, I didn't have to take out The 'Dez to get WW to work. (IIRC it's set to UseGroundObject=FALSE so I bet that makes a difference.) I also (mistakenly) left in the entry for a WW2 era ship that I don't have installed, and the terrain still launched fine.

Anyway, I yanked out the ships from Korea and Libya and got them working. Take a look; hopefully it will save someone some time.

Korea & Libya fix.rar

LOL, you have some way with words making that clear! :rofl:

But serious, that was what I already expected! Good work!! :good:

Gonna remove the ships out of my target types.ini and see what it gives.

My best regards, Kodiak.

actually, just remove them fromthe _targets ini. That's what I did on waterworld ... (and the old OHP is working .. I'll have to update that). The PLANDD i'm not sure of ... hae to check again. I've added the new lines in the data and main ini, made a namelist (which is quite funny, actually!)

now, I have tofigure out why KAW Korea is locking at 40%....the s**t never ends