Sign in to follow this  
navychief

My simpit is built!

Well, I put together my simpit this evening. You must understand what an achievement this is for me. I know virtually nothing about building things; especially from wood. I have a tendency to measure incorrectly, and what projects I have attempted in the past, have been screwed up for just that reason.

But this time I succeeded!

Except for a few adjustments with the jigsaw, it all went together perfectly!

All I need to do now is paint it, and get some comfortable cushions.

I received my new gaming system on the 15th, and am in the process of loading all my games.

Now, if only I can somehow get DSL again!

I will post a picture of my simpit once it is painted, and all is set up.

It is from the Akers-Barnes design. No screws or bolts. It all fits together with slots. Neat, eh?

Navy Chief

Progress Shots!!!!!... we need Progress shots!!!

<C>

Fates

Way to go Chief.. I wish I had the time for something like that. Shoot, I still haven't had the opportunity to pick up WOV!

Way to go Chief.. I wish I had the time for something like that. Shoot, I still haven't had the opportunity to pick up WOV!

Great NavyChief. Hope it works out fine. Take it one step at a time with the games and reboot after each install.

Gald for you.

way to go you old sea dog....remember to scrape the barnicals from time to time.

Thanks for the votes of confidence, shipmates!

I will see about getting some digital pictures of it soon.

Only thing I really need for it now is a back cushion.

For those of you who are contemplating making one, I highly recommend it.

It makes the flying oh, so much more real!!

NC

T

For those of you who are contemplating making one, I highly recommend it.

It makes the flying oh, so much more real!!

You are tempting me way too much. :unsure:

& we want pics - now! :smile:

I will get some pictures posted tomorrow. No problem.

NC

It is the only way to fly!! Seriously! I can't afford real flight lessons, and this is great!

Ok, here's a picture of my simpit. I plan to paint it (Naval Aviation colors, of course!). Probably brighter colors than the drab paint schemes of today. None of that "tactical grey" crap.

Am working on installing more cushions, especially for my neck. All in all, though, it is VERY comfortable to sit in. The joystick and throttle are at the perfect angle.

So whaddya all think, eh?

NC

post-169-1103587931_thumb.jpg

Nice :D Although it doesn't exactly look like a full scale mock up, I'm sure it's a lot more comfortable then just sitting at a comp

That is really cool NC!

More pics needed when finished!

Hey PG!

Yah, I know it doesn't even come close to resembling a full-scale mockup. I knew that from the beginning! I chose this design because it looked like something I could actually build. The simplicity of the design is great, because there are NO screws or bolts. It's portable, and very comfortable to sit in! I don't know if I would ever want to spend the money on creating a full-scale mockup. However, I might try to enclose my simpit somehow. That would be cool. But for now, when I turn the room lights off, it is realistic enough for this old fart.

Go Navy.

NC

It is from the Akers-Barnes design. No screws or bolts. It all fits together with slots. Neat, eh?

Ohhh it is definetly chief proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k :lol:

I'm here to tell ya it is "Chief proof"!

Listen, if I can build this....ANYONE can.

NC

Listen, if I can build this....ANYONE can.

I just might be finding out! ...

The "bang" seat works when my wife threatens bodily harm to me if I don't quit flying on the computer!

NC

The "bang" seat works when my wife threatens bodily harm to me if I don't quit flying on the computer!

sounds like you got the optional bang seat...... :biggrin: now you need to get a used helmet(out on cyberspace somewhere) and wire it so you can run it thru the speakers and same thing for the mic,you'd be ready then,and could allways tell the manual bang seat 'i can't hear you'......

Hey Scout,

Heck, I don't need a fancy helmet to do that. I know how to turn on the "Ignore" option whenever it's necessary.

Kinda like when I was on acive duty, and an Airman would say, "Hey Chief, can I have the day off?"

Instant ignore....heh, heh, heh....

NC

NC:

Looks great. So you plan to raid the nearest Naval Air Station and get some light gull gray and gloss white paint and the CAG colors for your tail, right?

Looks nice. I like the seat. though it will not support the weight of some guys I know--not you, I mean others...

Day after tomorrow I am flying to China and arriving on Xmas day at 14.20. For a month.

I will make a cartoon for you there and post it if I can.

Take care, hello to Cat and the cats, and Merry Christmas shipmate.

:) :) Nick

Thanks for the shout, Nick. Have a safe but happy trip. I look forward to seeing the cartoon.

Cat and all the kitties are fine. "ChieF" is recovering nicely from his latest and last knee surgery. He is quite a dog. Rottweiler is such a special breed.

NC

Kinda like when I was on acive duty, and an Airman would say, "Hey Chief, can I have the day off?"

Instant ignore....heh, heh, heh....

NC

Now why didn't that work when the Chief came into the shop and said " You guys have to work late"?

Glad to see you the family is settling in fine. We have a new kitten who just walked into our lives one day. His name is misfit and I swear he's like some AT's that I've known. Not too bright, but real loveable, even the Leading Cat likes him.

I had a chief(yes the c is small On purpose,actually he was one of those e-7s..) anyway Id ask for time off for the troopies(this in the portsmouth yard) he would go to that ignore mode,Id ask louder,after two times I would switch over to louder still but in spanish....thats when he knew the kids had worked way beyond what I expected out of them...usually from 0530 till bout 2000 or 30 somewhere......