HouseHobbit

Help with landings Please..

What a beautiful Fokker! The pony emblems go really well with the dots. :rofl:

Hihihi - well, if you Crumpets like flying such horribly painted German kites...

And our Finnish expert here is definitely a sado-masochist.

The right plane for you, HW, to Finnish your oponents off!

Mmuahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!

... hee hee ...

You know what else is funny? If you simply change the colors a bit, the design actually starts to look kind of neat.

HH_DR1_003.jpg

A sort of spotted shark skin affect.

HouseHobbit's not alone, you know...

For polka dots consider Georg Noth's D.III while in Jasta 2, par example. And then there's Rudolf Stark's lilac-painted D.VII while in Jasta 35b.

Can't recall ever seeing a pink Camel though

Mind you, now I come to think about it I may have seen one overhead when I was lying face down in the grass outside my tent after the last BOC Mess party.

I usually see pink elephants after BOC meetings. Never camels! :drinks:

The British "Desert Rats" in WW2 actually used pink Landrovers and vehicles - no joke!

I believe that even the name "Pink Panther" originated from them.

They had found out, that sand--colour like the Germans used for their tanks, was turning

into a different shade than the desert sand, when the light began to fail.

Pink may look odd from close on, but after only a little distance, it merges perfectly with

the desert - at full bright sunlight as well as at dusk or dawn.

Edit/PS: Yes, indeed - here is such a Landrover "Pink Panther"!

Edited by Olham

I wonder what you mix in your booze. I never have seen such a thing as pink animals.

Well to be honest, I never remember what I've done so I could never have remembered what I may have seen, pink or not.

Well, Pink Camels were a matter of controversy, HW. Especially No. 9.

LINK

Edited by Dej

You know, if you dial back the color intensity, add outlines to the polka dots, and put the crosses back on the top wing surfaces, it almost becomes believable:

HH_DR1_002.jpg

... almost ...

OH Yea!! I need this Please!!

It is Too Cool!!

I Love it!!

Harriet Quimby would be proud..:salute:

My purple flight suit to match my Purple and Pink polka dotted birds..

Thanks to Capt Winters for this..

post-47920-0-62320400-1343623788.jpg

The British "Desert Rats" in WW2 actually used pink Landrovers and vehicles - no joke!

I believe that even the name "Pink Panther" originated from them.

They had found out, that sand--colour like the Germans used for their tanks, was turning

into a different shade than the desert sand, when the light began to fail.

Pink may look odd from close on, but after only a little distance, it merges perfectly with

the desert - at full bright sunlight as well as at dusk or dawn.

Edit/PS: Yes, indeed - here is such a Landrover "Pink Panther"!

Wasn't just the Long Range Desert Patrols / SAS, there were pink coloured Sptfires used for photo reconnaisance, and the Royal Navy got in on the act too. Lord Louis Mountbatten had his 5th Destroyer Flotilla painted pink as an experimental naval camouflage. I think this was also linked to experiments with dazzle camouflage too, but 'Mountbatten Pink' was the formal name adopted for the colour. There were certain times of day and weather conditions which made the ships almost invisible, but the drawback was there were also other times of the day when the pink was much more visible.

http://en.wikipedia....ountbatten_pink

I've also been waist deep digging a trench somehwere in Wales when four Pink Panthers drove past us at a fair old lick. I thought I was seeing things. Talk about armed to the teeth - but it was in Wales right enough.

Edit - and yes, I like my DR1's with big round holes in the wings too, but the bounders won't fly straight and level while I put them there.

Edited by Flyby PC

Pink seemed to work great in the desert - for the Navy, it's a different thing, since water appears

rather blue-grey or blue-green-grey. Maybe a sort of pale mint would have suited them.

It was known Olham, but I seem to recall Mountbatten saw the destoyers were intended as aggressive 'attack' ships, and since they would initiate the action, they could pick and choose the time of attack to coincide with favourable lighting conditions when their colour suited them. From the air, the pink was quite discernable, but from the air, so was the more typical grey.

Found this which looks interesting....

http://grahamshawcross.com/2012/05/31/abbott-thayer-countershading-and-camouflage-theory/

OH Yea!! I need this Please!!

It is Too Cool!!

I Love it!!

You have mail HH. :grin:

Lou

Great stuff, Flyby!

The Germans have invented their Lozenge fabric for the same reasons - to "shatter" the shape of the aircraft.

May seem weird for the human eye - but in B/W photographs, it makes a lot more sense. Some of the colours

will always blend into the greys of the backgrounds - and the thing's shape is getting more complicated to

identify. (Lozenge fabric had of course another valuable advantage. It saved weight. At repairs or restorations,

the mechanics would have painted more green and mauve on the wings, until you had two or more layers

of paint. The Lozenge fabric was just replaced with a new piece. It only needed one clear sealing coating.

Thank you very much Lou,

this has made my day!:dance2:

(Yea hobbits are easily entertained)

For a bunch of kite drivers you all are too much fun! :wacko:

God bless,

Owen "Hobbit"

Baron Von Hobbit on patrol over the western front 1917

Thanks for this

And there is Much Rejoicing!!

post-47920-0-18783900-1343652391.jpg

post-47920-0-03770900-1343652412.jpg

Okay - what can you do against such a strong desire of a House Hobbit, to join the Deutsche Luftstreitkräfte -

let him, meine Herren, let him... But no one tell the Kaiser!

Pink Polka dots are for the crazy pilots - but ponies are for Sissies!

HH, you are more than welcome Sir. Also, I'd say that anyone who gads about above the front lines in a kite such as that is up for admission into the BOC. Apply here: The Barmy OFFers Club

As President, (and one of the founding members), of this fine organization I can about guarantee your acceptance. Wouldn't you agree brother founding members Olham and Dej ? :grin:

Orcs of the skies unite - we need to get this hobbit Mmuahahahahahaaaaa

HH, you are more than welcome Sir. Also, I'd say that anyone who gads about above the front lines in a kite such as that is up for admission into the BOC. Apply here: The Barmy OFFers Club

As President, (and one of the founding members), of this fine organization I can about guarantee your acceptance. Wouldn't you agree brother founding members Olham and Dej ? :grin:

It would be a great Honor Sir, to fly (wreck) in the company for such fine fellows!

Bravo!!

and there is Much Rejoicing!!

Olham if you watch this from about 4.15, there's colour footage of the Bismarck with a dazzle paint scheme....

I hear the principle was partly to obscure the speed, but also to confuse identification - seeing it on the horizon you had to double check whether it was one ship or two shorter ones etc.