Von Paulus

OT: This could be a joke, only it isn't

Guys, I had meant my last post serious. If they take photos from a military base, to build

their game as real as possible - then they would have visually opened a restricted area

to the public eyes. And that is definitely forbidden.

• Like 1

Well Bullethead, I certainly will not argue against someone who as this sort of conviction as you seem to have about this matter.

I have no convictions at all in this matter. As folks say in Lousy Anna, I don't have a dog in this fight, so I don't care about the outcome. I'm just trying to be impartial where the OP was convinced the guys were totally innocent. I was just saying that being a game developer ostensibly doing research for a new title doesn't prove you're not a spy. For instance, a few years ago, some crack-whore pop culture starlet du jour (whose forgettable name I've long since forgotten) got busted for shoplifting something she could have bought by the ton with her money. She tried to get out of it by claiming she was researching her role in some up-coming film....

Winnona Ryder, I believe.

And please do not mistake my knowledge of that tiny bit of information as signifying any interest of any kind in celebrities or celebrity gossip, thank you very much! :laugh:

I'm coming to this late, but I think too much attention has been paid to whether or no these guys are actually spies. Let's assume the best intentions on all parties. Let's assume that the photographers really wanted nothing more than photo research for a realistic video game. Let's also assume that they were photograhing Area 51, which, in the U.S., is about as secret as it gets. First off, they will have photos that may well have info they shouldn't have. Then, when they build their "authentic" model for the video game, they will have presented the general layout of a base that should not be seen. What would Russia or China pay to see an "authentic" model of Area 51? $49.95? (please forgive my dated Cold War sensibilites) In matters of national security, the rules are the rules. Not always reasonable; often 'over the top', but you break them at your peril. If you're going to go to a foreign country and photograph something that's militarily sensitive, it's best to walk in through the front door, declare yourself and your intentions. If they say "No", pack it in. How much could it wreck your video game if the base was 'blue sky' imagined in L.A. and not absolutely authentic?

• Like 1

How much could it wreck your video game if the base was 'blue sky' imagined in L.A. and not absolutely authentic?

Furthermore, if the game is set in the future (2035)?

Furthermore, if the game is set in the future (2035)?

Depends when they get out....

you wouldn't go into Soviet Russia and start happy Snapping would you?....or Turkey...or any Arab Country?..or Israel?...These are dangerous times. My Old Man used to work for MI6 back in the 60s and 70's.... his lot arrested shed-loads of potential Spies...most turned out to be Tourists...but quite a few didn't. And that was a long time before the Al Quaeda stuff kicked off.... the days of 'Freedom of Movement' are over!...best get used to it

I would think that anyone wanting to produce electronic media (movie, game etc) that involves any countries current military establishment would have the smarts to check in with that particular military establishments own media relations people. Co-operative endeavours usually benefit both parties quite well even at risk of being labelled 'propaganda'. I seem to recall a certain movie involving F14's and the USN's cooperation that was a win-win. Other examples must be out there. They could have asked for cooperation, and if it was refused that should have been the end of it. Photographing installations is just foolish imho.

I agree, but to repeat myself, people forget the tensions which exist between Greece and Turkey. Just recently I heard there was speculation that a Turkish plot existed to provoke renewed tensions with Greece to justify a coup attempt in Turkey. Tensions here make it a dodgy place to be taking pictures, but i suspect a contributing factor might be we just don't think of Greece as being a potential flashpoint.

Stupidity is no defence if sensitive or restricted information is publicised, not least because it provides such plausible cover for genuine espionage.

I remember when I was college, myself and some friends drove up to Skye for a couple of days, and drove further North too. We didn't notice anything at the time, but later, when we looked at the pictures we'd had developed, we found two submarines we'd happened to catch in the picture in the background. Just because it meant nothing to us, doesn't mean it wouldn't be very important knowledge for someone else.

Edited by Flyby PC

I agree, but to repeat myself, people forget the...

Right on the money!

I've seen this on YouTube, and 1 other forum.Lots of posts, lots of comments, this one has by far the best replies.Anywhere else it was a nightmare, especially on YouTube.I saw Greeks actually being superior to their foreign counterparts (in terms of replies, since most people acted as if our police force is a bunch of spongebobs that abused their powers to arrest two nice fellows in the land of bankruptcy), and many videos presented the facts in their own way, which is mentioned in the parenthesis you just read...

Every spy has a good cover. Reminds me of the Cambridge Five....

Look, I can't say myself whether or not these guys are really spies. All I can say is that being game developers does not automatically give them a free pass, nor does any other profession. How much does anybody here really know about these people?

Here's the thing.... I doubt anybody would have bothered them if they hadn't already been on the watch list of the Greek (and probably other) intelligence services. As you say, all sorts of people take photos on that island, so why single these 2 out? And while they had an ostensible reason for being there and taking pictures, that's exactly what a cover is supposed to provide. So, rather than immediately taking the Greek security forces as bumbling buffoons arresting harmless game designers for no good reason, I'm inclined to give the security forces the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what happens at the trial, shall we?

FINALLY, someone who got it right!

whoops, just saw this is kind of old, sorry bou the bump :)

Edited by thodouras95

Greeks authorities have released on bail these two, clearly, master spies. The two of Prague paid a bail-sum of €10000 (€5000 each).