HumanDrone

OT: A bunch of us in the path of Sandy

Well, my Wing Commander & I are spending a quiet Sunday afternoon at home. Her uncle is dying, we expect to get word almost any time that he has passed. And looming offshore is this hurricane, which is forecast to take an unusual track off shore up the East Coast of the US and then turn inland, of all places, in the New Jersey & Delaware area. A perusal of Olham's Pilot maps shows that many of our fellow OFF'ers are in the path of this storm, and so I thought a "Sandy" thread might be nice so we can check in and make sure our friends are OK.

I suspect the mountains will protect Western PA from the worst of things, but our friends in Eastern PA, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, New York and New England could take a real pounding.

Our thoughts and prayers to you all!

Tom

Good Idea Tom;

Since I am located in Ontario, Just north east of the Toronto area (100km), I can say we have been receiving temps in teh 46 deg. area with constant rain for the last 3 days and brisk winds but so far no more than that. The real front is suspected to hit us by Monday.

Hopefully the Delaware to New York sector will fare well. We will just have to wait it out.

Best Wishes to all in Sandy's path.

Yes, sir, just about the same for us. Just steady drizzly rain and temperatures in the 40's and low 50's (Fahrenheit) at best.

I wish all of you, who will be in the path of this storm,

a safe place to hide, and no harm nor damage to suffer.

I keep my fingers crossed for you all!

Well, we haven't heard from any (see pilot maps) who are REALLY in the path, and I hope they are all tucked in safe, warm & dry. But thanks to you both. My "good luck" sign: I tap my skull with my fist and say "knock on wood!" :wink:

Here in northern Virginia, they've closed just about everything, including schools, the subway (Metro) and the Federal Government. Lucky for me I telecommute, so as long as I've got power, I get to go to work regardless of the weather.

Oh there will likely be a good market for generators in the next few days as I suspect considerable power outages.

I am in the Philadelphia suburbs and at 7:00am it is calm with light rain and wind. It is predicted to get worse by lunch time today.

As a friend of mine who lives in New Jersey says time to Hunker down and see what happens... but good luck to you guys...

Keep us informed as and when you can guys...we're thinking of you

Good Lord! What a shame. I wonder if they were descendants of the original crew?

Still nothing but ran and light wind here, I understand out east is getting pounded. We're supposed to gte our worst wind overnight, but I don't expect anything like they'll have out east.

OvS is on the Long Island Fire Department. I imagine he's had a fairly busy evening

The Shredder

Hope everyone makes it through with as little distress as possible.

It's now 9:40 am in Lindsay Ontario Canada and the winds are calm with no rain. Overnight we had gusts of 30 km winds and some rain but all in all we have not had a bad time of it as yet.

Sixteen people killed as of 13:45pm GMT

My thoughts are with you

It was pretty much a non-event for us, just a bunch of rain & some wind. My neighbor had their chain saw out last night, but it mustn't have been too big a deal, because he was done before I could offer help. I'm hoping OvS and the others are okay, I don't recall seeing anything from him on this forum for a while. My daughter-in-law's family is in Manhattan and are ok. With the 50 lives in the Caribbean, that puts the death count up to 66.

OvS is on the Long Island Fire Department. I imagine he's had a fairly busy evening

Exactly the man I was thinking of - OvS, good luck & health!

Our power just came back on. The lights went out about 9:00 pm last night. We did not get much rain but the winds were ferocious! New Jersey and New York City were clobbered.

Glad you're ok, DonL, though near 24 hrs with no power is no fun. I wonder how the rest are?

Thanks HD, no fun sitting in the cold and dark but thankfully the wife thought to charge all our portable devices before the storm hit. I sat it out reading about George Guynemer on my Ipad. My power was only out for a day there are still people near us without power. We were listening to talk radio on a little am/fm and callers were relating how they saw convoys of power company trucks heading towards the east coast from all over the country. That made us feel good. Disasters tend to bring out the best in people.

Yes, but as I thought this through, especially the strange path that this one took, I'm led to the conclusion that the cause is politics: With Pennsylvania and Ohio being key "swing states" the politicians must have created so much hot air that the updraft sucked that beauty in from the Atlantic! I think otherwise it would have just continued it's Northeast track and wore itself out.

Kinda concerned that you're the only one in that area that has checked in... Sure hope everyone is okay.

We ought to spare a thought for the other, Non American's who also suffered due to Sandy...no-one ever seems to mention them!

post-22245-0-90719600-1351783940.jpg

Edited by UK_Widowmaker
  • Like 1

Yessir, Widomaker, I mentioned on the previous page that 50 had been killed in the Caribbean. And my son's mother-in-law lives on the southwest side of Manhattan a few blocks from the 14th st Con Ed station that thad the dramatic transformer explosion during Sandy. She still doesn't have poweror running water, and yesterday her and her husbandhad to walk blocks with water as quicky as possible to keep anyone from getting any ideas about taking it from them. Rough times, but at least they are alive.