HumanDrone

OT: A bunch of us in the path of Sandy

Best wishes to all downrange of Sandy. I know what you're going through, having seen it often enough myself.

As a Gulf Coast native, I was raised to be a student of hurricanes, their immediate effects, and how the aftermath plays out. But down here, the scenario is pretty much the same every time. We have a pretty low average population density except in the major cities, and even those are small compared to all the metropoli in the NE. Even our biggest Gulf Coast cities have on average only 2 or 3 major roads leading into them, and because of the low average population, we have few resources immediately at hand to cope with the disaster. So, please forgive me for having a morbid curiosity in how things play out up north. Up there, the population density is huge so way more people are in trouble and there are way more problems to solve for them. But there's also a much greater amount of recovery resources immediately at hand and way more major roads to bring in more. I hope that helps folks recover quicker.

And now we are all victims... there goes my lunch!

Nobody else from our pilot's maps checking in, I guess... sure hope everyone is ok. How did you fare, Hauksbee?

Edited by HumanDrone

Those struck by the storm have other things to do than to write here, I guess.

Many may not even have electicity until now.

I wonder how OvS is doing - he must have had a hard time with his fire brigade.

Maybe still has...

Edited by Olham

...sure hope everyone is ok. How did you fare, Hauksbee?

Everybody here on the south coast of Massachusetts (and Cape Cod) was battening down the hatches right and proper. We were filling 5-gal. buckets with fresh water and storing them in the bath tub. (we're all on well water out here, so if the power goes out, so does the electric pump.) Stocked non-perisable food. The received wisdom was that we were going to get hammered. In the event, it began to blow around twilight and increased until 10:00 when it was blowing very, very hard. That tapered off and it rained thru the night in torrential, but short, bursts. The next day was overcast, scattered showers and gusty. And that was it. I didn't lose power once, and this end of the local power grid is ancient, and we can lose power, usually briefly, in mid-summer. We had the same expectations last year, with the same result.

Edited by Hauksbee

That's good, Hauksbee. As I noted it was a non-event over here in Western PA as well - the mountains protected us somewhat, I think. We had a good soaking rain (that we've been needing anyway), a bit more wind than usual, and that was it.

Olham, I agree that it may be the case that people are still too tied up to post here. I just hope they haven't had significant damage or have been injured.

Best to all,

Tom