one thing that stood out in the Ace Combat series are missions where a jet needs to enter and fly through huge tunnels in order to reach targets. I wonder if tunnels are possible in SF2?

no, given how terrains are created

however....

on a LOD based terrain (like IcelandNA) they could be possible...if we were to ever get data in how they work.

but on old style, TFD/HFD terrains; there no way to creat them. Unless they were create AS a HUGMUMONGUS hollow lod, of the gods know how many polys, and the associate frame-rate drop

go playing Ace Combat, this is serious simulator! :wink:

LOD based only as Kev wrote, either NA terrain (we can't make those working correctly) or as "target" placed on map

well (and forgive me i havent gotten KAW anything yet other than Sabres and Invaders) tunnels would be useful for trains and roadways. but as Wrench said it would also make a big hit on framrate.

this could be done fairly simply for railroads and highways as it was in good old EF2000 -just the model of the entrance to the tunnel placed on slope in the desired location (oh, and the other in the supposed other end!) serving as a standard target like simply "tunnel", the destroyed mesh would look like it collapsed with some nice dusty particle effect, sounds like an easy job... :wink:

this is serious simulator! :wink:

I'm sure back in the early 90's you have complained about having something as absurd as high speed, invisible, super-maneuverable fighter jets that have invisible armament. We know it today as the F-22 :P

Seriously though, why not have it? It does get boring to have really empty skies after awhile and would be nice to test aerobatic skills by dodging protrusions and mechanical equipment

like the XvT or was it XwA, or both?? on the training grounds, flying through asteriod factories and suchlike

unfortunately, that is absolutely impossible with this game engine.

OTH, you can fake something underground; i can't remember if it was Russo or MajorLee for a DBS2 terrain, missile silos that 'appear' to be below ground level, and a soviet sub base 'built' into a cliff.

But again, these are OBJECTS, completly sepearte from the terrain itself. Trust the Terrain Guru on this! :biggrin:

• Like 1

other than technical difficulties, think of how would game AI respond to such object? Slam right into the centre that's how :)

@Kevin: yup, DBS2 soviet sub pens

I'm sure back in the early 90's you have complained about having something as absurd as high speed, invisible, super-maneuverable fighter jets that have invisible armament. We know it today as the F-22 :P

my first "serious" (by 1993 standards...) flight simulator was F-19 Stealth Fighter* so I considered that totally possible... :P

*yes, there was vertex based version for C-64! and it rocked when one was 13 y.o :biggrin:

my first "serious" (by 1993 standards...) flight simulator was F-19 Stealth Fighter* so I considered that totally possible... :P

*yes, there was vertex based version for C-64! and it rocked when one was 13 y.o :biggrin:

F-19 looks like an alien ship D:

nitpicker!!!

j/k

as I wrote, I think the EF2000-style tunnel entrances could be made, but there too would be issues with tunnel mesh interfering with terrain HFD one

c-pravcicka-brana-2.jpg

Do you mean something like this?

As the others already said, that must be done as a LOD file. With the normal terrain you can only create hills and valley, but no holes in the hills.

Do you mean something like this?

As the others already said, that must be done as a LOD file. With the normal terrain you can only create hills and valley, but no holes in the hills.

No, they were huge man-made structures. It would be ok if it were a giant object instead of terrain, but you can't even be damaged by objects if you try to hit them

0.jpg

you can if you make proper collision LOD but I'll repeat the game AI would most propably fly right into the tunnel object, not even knowing it's there

you can if you make proper collision LOD but I'll repeat the game AI would most propably fly right into the tunnel object, not even knowing it's there

I like flying solo anyways, they always give away my position, never seem to know they have an ECM, randomly refuse to attack targets when told ("One, Negative") and just overall get in the way during Recon missions and dogfights