Lothar of the Hill People

OFFbase Update: An Ode to the OFF Community

While we wait for WOFF  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Have you flown OFFbase?

• Can't imagine playing a Campaign without it!
    • Only way I can keep track of all these mods...
    • Nah, role-playing bores me.
    • No thanks, prefer a purer experience.
    • Heck no, I love when OFF Manager kills the wingman I just rescued!
    • Nothing but Angry Birds for me until WOFF comes out.
    • OFFwho?

I completely understand about being busy with two small children, a wife/girlfriend, a job, etc.

If I can find the time, would you mind if I took a crack at translating your mod into English via Google or some such program, and then cleaning it up and releasing it as an English language version of your mod (after letting you review it first, of course)? As always, full credit for the original work on the mod will be given to you.

I probably don't have time to finish this before WOFF is released, but you never know. Let me know if you don't mind me working on this.

no problem HPW. it's yours. do with it what you seem fit. :drinks:

Great! Thanks a bunch. I'll be back in touch when I need some help with the idioms and inevitable Google oddness with the translations.

Just tried to start the sim up for the first time in a while and the OFFice thingy freezes and when I hit the enter button, summat about a VBScript engine error comes up on the black dos box.

Have tried running the prograam as administrator and have looked about for a fix (not too hard though!) but cant found owt.

Any ideas please? :big_boss:

Just tried to start the sim up for the first time in a while and the OFFice thingy freezes and when I hit the enter button, summat about a VBScript engine error comes up on the black dos box.

Can you send me a screen shot of the error or something? Need more info to diagnose the problem.

Have you first installed the JSGME Generic Mod Enabler, Davy?

First of all thanks for the mega quick replies. It is much appreciated.

JSGE mod Enabler v2.6.0.157 is installed, Bletchley 1917 and other mods enabled

Windows 7 and service packs are fully up to date.

Everything is fine (except for OFFice)

When I click on the OFF icon after Office is installed I get a window tthat comes up saying

"OFF Manager

Failed to load "WindowsMediaPlayer" from wmp.dll.Your version of wmp.dllmay be outdated.

Make sure you are using the Version of the Control that was using the control that was providded with your application"

This is a bit odd because Windows Media Player is up to date and working perfectly on my PC.

If I click on the OFFSET ICON I get the OFF Manager Loading and Configuration window appear but then nothing happens.

It just says loading but then thats it, nothing else happens.

When I hit the Enter button, I then get the REBOL 3 Alpha black dos box which says at the bottom -

CScript Error

Cant find script engine "VBScript" for script Y:\Flight\OFF\Office\temp\OFFgetreg.vbs

If I click the OFFBASE ICON, I just the config screen saying loading and again nothing happens

I have tried uninstalling the sim and reinstalling it again including Hat In The Ring and latest updates, but the OFFice Manager is still the same.

I have also tried reinstalling Windows Media Player but it said everything was working OK.

I have also read the OFFice reading but not notice anything that my sort my problem,

Something must be missing from my PC that is causing this problem methinks.

I can get the sim running, just not through the OFF Manager application.

Cheers....

Edited by Davy TASB

That is bizarre, Davy. Never seen or heard of anyone else having problems anything like this before. OFFice has nothing at all to do with Windows Media Player, I know that.

One thing that comes to mind is maybe your antivirus software might be preventing the VBScript from running correctly, maybe redirecting calls to a fake avenue that for some reason ends in an outdated wmp.dll? Or perhaps you've disabled some important services causing Windows Script Host to break?

Try disabling your antivirus software and see if that helps.

Davy, did you try to run OFF from it's own icon? i guess it shouldn't work either, so has nothing to do with offbase. i think that since some update you might have an issue with WMP of some sort (which does not mean that you can't play music or so). i think it has something to do with the intro vid of off3. if you don't have deactivated it, then usually the intro vid appears, which needs obviously WMP in the background.

have you tried to open a vid with your WMP yet?

but i think i found a small issue. the reward scale, whose percentage i usually have in the 20ies, seems not to save. i set it to 25% and after launching offbase again it jumps back again to the stock high percentage, which e.G. made me a brother of the chief cook in two virtual days.

Mmmmmm, two things to report here.

I've recently installed the beta version of Eset Security 6as my security system as my Kaspersky Internet Security ran out so I thought I'd try something different so that might have something to do with it.

Also, I've tried to play a video with Windows Media Player and a window pops up saying name of clip (blah blah blah) Server execution failed.

(I think were onto something here - I'm very quick aren't I? :blink: )

Wont be able to try and sort this for a few days but I'll let you know when I do get it sorted. I think I need to get Windows Media Player removed and re-installed properly.

Hopefully that might do the trick.

Once again, thanks for the briliant help. The OFF community really is the biz!

*big thumbs up*

Edited by Davy TASB

but i think i found a small issue. the reward scale, whose percentage i usually have in the 20ies, seems not to save. i set it to 25% and after launching offbase again it jumps back again to the stock high percentage, which e.G. made me a brother of the chief cook in two virtual days.

The RSS and DID profiles control difficulty in flight and take over the reward scale so you earn more prestige from kills with aids disabled, etc. But it doesn't affect others' feelings and relations--the cook is just sweet on you! :give_heart:

Let me know if you're earning promotions way too fast with those settings and I'll think about rebalancing a little.

I've recently installed the beta version of Eset Security 6as my security system as my Kaspersky Internet Security ran out so I thought I'd try something different so that might have something to do with it.

Also, I've tried to play a video with Windows Media Player and a window pops up saying name of clip (blah blah blah) Server execution failed.

(I think were onto something here - I'm very quick aren't I? :blink: )

Wont be able to try and sort this for a few days but I'll let you know when I do get it sorted. I think I need to get Windows Media Player removed and re-installed properly.

Hopefully that might do the trick.

Once again, thanks for the briliant help. The OFF community really is the biz!

Glad you're getting it sorted, Davy! Doesn't using beta security software kinda defeat the purpose?

Anti-virus software usually seems to be the cause of the weird problems people have with OFFice. Truthfully, does more harm than good for most users, creating a false sense of security with constant notices and updates and false positives while wreaking havoc on the basic operation of your computer itself. Norton now uses a social-media "reputation" based system and won't even let you download files that your friends make since they're not popular yet!

Microsoft's Security Essentials is free and stays out of the way--MS's best product since they screwed up Home Server.

The Eset is beta but it is a Release Candidate version. Its worked fine so far Will probably go back to Kaspersky when trial runs out though.

I'm pretty sure its my Windows Media thatss screwed up.

Cheers....

UPDATE....

OFFice Manager now working fine.

I fixed it by using the Microsoft Fix It tool and typing in Windows Media Player, very good it is to for sorting out most problems with your PC

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic/

There were 4 errors with WMP, one of them was the VBScript.

Gerrin' there! :biggrin:

Edited by Davy TASB

Congrats, D!

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "Windows is the cause--and solution, to all of our computer problems."

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Cool mod Lothar, however, every time I make a pilot, it shows him as on leave, and it won't let me start the game by clicking on the "go to hangar" button, and in the pilot dossiers in game, it has "on leave" written beneath his portrait. I can start the game manually and fly campaign missions no problem, it just keeps saying all my pilots are on leave. Any suggestions?

Cool mod Lothar, however, every time I make a pilot, it shows him as on leave, and it won't let me start the game by clicking on the "go to hangar" button, and in the pilot dossiers in game, it has "on leave" written beneath his portrait. I can start the game manually and fly campaign missions no problem, it just keeps saying all my pilots are on leave. Any suggestions?

Are you using the latest version 0.8.4, FokkerDviiOAW? Some leave problems in earlier versions have been corrected.

Also, do you have multiple pilots in one squadron where this is happening?

Are you using the latest version 0.8.4, FokkerDviiOAW? Some leave problems in earlier versions have been corrected.

Yeah, i'm using the latest version. I did have multiple pilots in the same squad before, but I've since deleted them and started new pilots in different squadrons, it still shows them as on leave.

Could it possibly have something to do with pilots having the same name? I've deleted a pilot fighting later in the war and used the same name to start a career earlier in the war, could that possibly be a reason for the on leave status?

Could it possibly have something to do with pilots having the same name? I've deleted a pilot fighting later in the war and used the same name to start a career earlier in the war, could that possibly be a reason for the on leave status?

Yep that's likely the problem. OFFbase uses pilot names as unique identifiers, so you don't want to reuse names. And make sure you use my names mod to reduce duplicates among non-player pilots.

If you absolutely insist on reusing pilot names, make sure you delete the previous pilot in OFF and delete his .plt file in the OFFice\pilots\ folder. I thought about making a button to fully delete pilots in OFF and OFFbase, but because one of the major features of OFFbase is a persistent war--where your pilots contribute to a squadron's institutional memory even after they're dead/captured--you shouldn't delete pilots anyway.

Yep that's likely the problem. OFFbase uses pilot names as unique identifiers, so you don't want to reuse names. And make sure you use my names mod to reduce duplicates among non-player pilots.

If you absolutely insist on reusing pilot names, make sure you delete the previous pilot in OFF and delete his .plt file in the OFFice\pilots\ folder. I thought about making a button to fully delete pilots in OFF and OFFbase, but because one of the major features of OFFbase is a persistent war--where your pilots contribute to a squadron's institutional memory even after they're dead/captured--you shouldn't delete pilots anyway.

I'll give it a shot, Thank you for your help sir.

Big update to the OFFice suite of programs including OFFbase:

• Incorporates OFFfov: theField-of-view Optical Vanguard for OFF! This ModRule plugin projects a 3D model of your screen into the gameworld to calculate and explore aspect-ratio-correct FOV settings for a range of viewing positions--boiled down to a pair of simple, easy-to-use sliders that position the virtual camera. Furthermore, your optimized FOVs are applied automatically all aircraft flown from OFFbase, triggering .bdp rebuilds only where necessary for faster launching of missions and also limiting CFS3 crashes while waiting. Seamlessly integrates optimal FOVs into OFFice-supported Damage Mods, which by themselves can distort perspective without a manual 'Set FOVs' in the OFF Workshops after activation. Now it's possible to truly fly OFF as a visual simulation.
  • Added a simple OFFramp plugin to backup your OFF Workshops and CFS3Config settings with OFFset. Automatically creates a backup if not found, as well as an archive of your settings on first install (thanks rjw).
  • Added a modable, rule-based Tips+Tricks plugin to the Squadron HQ status bar. Got useful suggestions for other users (in 80 characters or so!)? Send them my way.
  • Assimilates a dynamic version of Creaghorn's Realistic Smoke and Tracers mod. Nothing but muzzle flashes makes the early war more difficult, but smoke and tracer options become available later when historically appropriate for your nation and squadron. When the mod is active and ammo available, your munitions officer can hook you up right in OFFbase's squadron Hangar.
  • Support for Andy73's OFF Soundtrack replacement (JSGME version) and Sound Tweak 3.1 + Engines.
  • Note on main screen about duplicate pilot names and not deleting captured/killed pilots. Moved OFFbase rewards scale from user settings to OFFbase page in OFFramp, and linked it to overrides by dificulty/realism mods.
  • Fixed bug sometimes showing wrong player photo in intro sequence. Wingman no longer forgets he's your roommate. Fixed crash if only one squadron NPC is In Service. Fixed rare crash bug with injuries. Fixed sector activity report window not opening after initially set (thanks CaptSopwith, Bletchley).

As always, updated list of all supported mods is included on the download page. Go get version 0.8.5 now!

Major update to OFFbase available at Combat Ace. It rolls out a number of features that have been in development since last summer and are finally ready for more open testing: including a full-blown injury/maiming system and complete replacement for OFF's limited outcome-handling for crashes, a long with some major internal reworking and an overhaul of the trait system.... well here's the change-log:

• Escadrille La Fayette gets American pilots, with French ground crew! Added Hotel lodgings type just for them. Aerodromes and Aeroparks only become available airfield types when historically appropriate.
  • OFFbase now handles more post-mission outcomes. Can claim one non-target or Lone Wolf balloon per mission for a chance of confirmation. Dead Is Dead is preset in the workshops; so while all friendly-side crashes are reported as fatal by OFF, this just triggers the custom outcome-handing system. Crashes are properly counted, and you can report one of four degrees of severity.
  • Fixes and improvements to the injury system. Can now visit injured squadmates in the Infirmary along with Medic, see their injuries, and influence their recovery. Lots of different injury and maim types of differing severity. More detailed infirmary types have an affect on medical care, and care becomes more effective over the course of the war. Injuries and maimings and death depend on the reported severity of the crash, where and when it occurred, your pilot's physicality, access to medical care, relationship with squad's medic, and luck!
  • Musicians play specific instruments. Presumed Dead are listed in Chapel rather than Duty Roster. Increased prestige cost of promotions. Prestige changes from encounters scaled down relative to rewards from missions. Fixed bug that could cause Observer to be forgotten.
  • Expanded and enhanced Traits system, introducing Legacy Traits to supplement your Background (now "Archetype") and give more direction to your future--what have you left behind to fly in the war? Gives more character to enlisted ranks, more dynamic AI character advancement, and more natural character arcs for story-telling. "Schoolboy" is Legacy only. Added "Engineer" and "Adventurer" Backgrounds. Added "Steady Nerves", "Weak Stomach", and "Martyr" Traits.
  • Reworked intro sequence. Expanded training missions for rookie pilots, with more flavor based on how your Background and Legacy prepped you for flight school. New detailed encounter for meeting Adjutant for the first time.
  • Linked in documentation for OFFbase and supported mods in OFFramp so you can read about these impressive additions to OFF while configuring your campaign. Added Tips & Tricks for mods. Number of interface refinements and cleanups. More dynamic descriptions of characters and locations.
  • Includes Olham's Mask and Googles mod, selectable in the Hangar. Realism profiles feature Olham's softer labels and smaller TAC.
  • ModRule plugin checks for OFFbase program updates at Combat Ace (SimHQ blocks public access to mod list) and adds Tip to notify users.
  • OFFset includes settings profiles for ATI and NVIDIA graphics based on http://www.overfland...ds.com/Tips.htm

So go get it! And let me know if you run into bugs--with this many changes there are bound to be a few.

Wow, this is a huge package, and it sounds great!

Just one question about the JSGME download link: there are two downloadable files there,

one of them with "OFF" in the name - do I need both, or just one of the two?

And if the second - which one is better to use?