I was wondering. Im not able to get my own splash screen working. Ive found it in the menu folder. Its a bmp file though I have tried both bmp and jpg. Its 1024X768 and still nothing. Ive checked the spelling. It refuses to show ingame. I am running Win7 64 bit. Any ideas?

Although I'm not sure if it has to be a BMP (I'll be honest) the file name HAS to be INITSCREEN.bmp or .jpg for it to work.

I have my own and thats how mine are named and they work. I took the idea from these two Splash Screen Mods - http://combatace.com/files/file/12799-sf2-splashscreen/ and http://combatace.com/files/file/12816-1680-x-1050-mainscreen-modification-for-sf2-north-atlantic/ which show how it works.

Edited by ianh755

Also, if it's a renamed exe., make sure to copy and rename the ini. file also, as that's where LoadingScreen=Menu\InitScreen.BMP is called out. Without that, it won't work.

ianh755, thanks, I got that part. Musta went over my spelling 10 times. Im not sure whether it has to be bmp or jpg either so I have both versions.

SupGen, Which ini are you refering too? I assume the StrikeFighters2.ini. If so, I do not see a callout there for LoadingScreen. Lets see what happens when I make one. However, If squid didnt need one Im not sure I will.

PC, only if you're using an exe. that you've copied and renamed in the main install folder,(C:/Program Files...) as when making an exclusive mod folder(NatoFighters5, Vietnam Expansion Pack) you must copy and rename the ini. file of the exe. that you've used for the mod. LoadingScreen is called out in that ini. file. By the way, what patch level are you using?

Edited by SupGen

July 2012 patch. Actually, what I did was rename the original SF2 exe to "strike fighters 2 PAW" for my pacific air war install. I just renamed it, I didnt copy it. So your saying I need to rename the StrikeFighters2.ini to StrikeFighters2 PAW.ini? I did look in that ini file and did not see any callout for loading screen. It does have this...

[startup]

IntroMovieList=

StartupScreen=MainScreen

Maybe I need to add your line? LoadingScreen=Menu\InitScreen.BMP ?

HAH! Got it to work! I did rename the ini file to StrikeFighters2 PAW.ini. I then added the line LoadingScreen=Menu\InitScreen.BMP under the startup heading BEFORE the callout for startupscreen. Thanks for your help SupGen! :biggrin:

Just digging up an old topic.......the filename does not have to be INITSCREEN, it can be anything you like, just so long as the entry name and the bmp name match.

[startup]
IntroMovieList=
StartupScreen=MainScreen
LoadingScreen=Menu\ODS.BMP

This way I have mutiple initializing screens in my menu folder.....one for every install.

I can't seem to get this to work for the July 2013 SF2 upgrade.

First, here is what I have in the ini:

StrikeFighters2 Nihon Hitori 2020.ini

IntroMovieList=
StartupScreen=MainScreen
LoadingScreen=Menu\NH2020InitScreen.BMP

Second, here is the init screen:

NH2020InitScreen.bmp

Third I've tried to reverse the order of StartupScreen & LoadingScreen - no joy.

So what the heck am I missing?

1 hour ago, JosefK said:

So what the heck am I missing?

You have to put the bitmap inside the Menu folder of the installed game. Not in the mod's folder as usual.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Menrva said:

You have to put the bitmap inside the Menu folder of the installed game. Not in the mod's folder as usual.

OK I've got the BMP in the NA menu, the SF2 menu and then the NH2020 menu folders.  If this doesn't work later today after I get done w/ this 7 AM zoom call, I'm now in SMH mode.

Well now I get a black screen for the init screen, so there's that.

Current ini: StrikeFighters2 Nihon Hitori 2020.ini

I have a suspicion after the above years ago, the code got changed to hard-wire to the standard SF2 boot-up screen.  

With that, unless any better ideas come forward, going to move along to address bigger issues than what the initscreen is!

45 minutes ago, JosefK said:

I have a suspicion after the above years ago, the code got changed to hard-wire to the standard SF2 boot-up screen. 

It has not. I'm on the latest patch level, I have custom InitScreen bitmaps working.

1 hour ago, JosefK said:

OK I've got the BMP in the NA menu, the SF2 menu

Aren't they the same?! You have to put the bitmap in the installation folder. SF2 titles merge into the same Strike Fighters 2 folder. I am not talking about mod folders. You have to leave those alone. You must ensure that you run the StrikeFighters2 Nihon Hitori 2020.exe (same name as the .ini).

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1