swambast

Mesh/Model Shadow Not Appearing? (make sure 2-sided is not checked)

All, since I got tired of waiting/begging for 3d modeling help and decided to pick up some basic modeling skills myself, I ran into one strange problem that caused me to go bonkers for a while.

PROBLEM

I couldn't get a certain part of my mesh model to cast a shadow, while the other parts did.

SOLUTION

Long-story short, I ended up solving the problem by making sure in 3DS Max under the "Shader Basic Parameters" roll-out the "2-sided" checkbox option was NOT checked. (And yes I already know 2-sided parameters in general are not recommended, but in some cases they are needed/practical).

Just thought I'd pass this along in case it could help anyone else out in the future. :good:

I use double sided on things you may see sky through...such as fuselages etc...otherwise you see daylight between say fuselage and nose for example....one thing to check is mesh properties then look top right at user defined properties.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GKABS
      Best 4 Minutes tutorial creating and texturing curved roads (Or Runway) in 3ds max

• By Viper63a
      Hey,

I read somewhere we can turn 3ds max files into something usable in SF2...I got some freeware downloads of some interesting crafts...so now what do/can I do with these?

=V=
    • By swambast
      Hi guys, question primarily intended for 3ds max users/modelers but feel free to contribute if you have an idea!

Assume we have an x-plane with a texture applied (two simple intersecting planes).  The game by default does not render shadowing nor catch shadowing using the plane primitives.  Also, depending on the lighting angle - one side of the plane’s texture may be “bright” while the other plane’s texture is dark.  Is there some way to apply a texture to the planes so that the texture “brightness” remains constant regardless of lighting?
    • By Centurion-1
      So yeah, on the A-37B dragonfly there is a large "whip" type antenna that is straight when the plane is stationary but is bent backwards as the speed increases, I guess I could animate this with vertex animations and assign it to some kind of function (automatic highlift device or?). Any idea on how to set it up? Ideally I want the antenna to animate smoothly from 0 to maximum speed but it would be okay if the antenna bends backwards at some preset speed like 50kts.

Thanks!
    • By Steve T
      Can anyone please tell me how to get the Naval object I've built to sit "in" the water rather than on top of it in game? I've tried moving the pivot point in Max and various ini edits but nothing seems to work. Probably something pretty simple I'm mising...

Thanks.

PS It's a stationary bouy-type thing, so not sure if not having engine and movement stuff in the data.ini makes any differrence?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..