ValAstur

The "Iron Lady" is gone...

Im from Tottenham north london, I remember being told just before leaving school in 1983,by the careers adviser that if i didn't join the Army , or go to collage then I would more than likely be on state benefits for a very long time as, no one was taking on school leavers, & last years & the years before that!!!

I was stopped many times by the SPG police vans,using there stop and search, special powers , there was a great deal of tension on the streets of london back then, no one that I knew had any money, yet maggie said she wanted everyone to own their own homes, in our street everyone rented, & had not a hope in hell of owning where they lived because it wasn't theirs in the first place!!

she seems to have had some strange idea that all the working class people were in council houses, & with the new "right to buy"policy, All that did was lose all of the council housing so now there are 1 million to few houses for the poeple on the councils housing lists!!!

If only

then we had all the riots,in Tottenham, Brixton, toxteth, then the closing of the wards in the hospitals,getting rid of the matron's & farming out the new hospital cleaning contracts to outside firms "now we have MRSA & other Horrors lurking on the not very clean wards!!!!!! ,

& the closing of the coal mines, & the bloody mayhem & Murder that caused.

then we had the POLL TAX, which meant that instead of every household paying lets say 700 pounds a year COUNCIL TAX , everybody in the house hold over 18 will pay 400 each, regardless of there ability to pay it, which led to the POLL TAX RIOTS

of me & my 4 closest friends from school, all of us spent more time on benifits UB40 than in work all through the 80's , & it was much worse for the people in places like sheffield.

I did admire her for the first couple of years ,but the stuff that went on in later years were way out of line. The common People were sick to death of her by the time her party gave her a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE !!! & she still wouldn't go !!!!!

It's quite simply untrue that most in the UK hate her.

Hate is maybey a bit strong for most but there are certainly more who dislliked/distrusted her than otherwise.

Craig

Hate is maybey a bit strong for most but there are certainly more who dislliked/distrusted her than otherwise.

Craig

It appears it's also incorrect to say that there are 'certainly' more (in the UK, anyway) who disliked Margaret Thatcher than didn't. For example, a recent YouGov poll showed 50% thought her 'good' or 'great', compared to 33% 'poor' or 'terrible'.

Edited by 33LIMA
  • Like 1

If she was so capable and trustworthy why was she ousted from her own party?

Run another poll say a year or so from now when people arn't looking back with rose tinted glasses. Another poll placed her as being a more popular PM than Winston Churchill, somehow I doubt that would have happened had the poll been conducted a week before her death.

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

I'm in the non-haters category. The economy needed shock treatment, does anyone remember the winter of discontent, unions running government policy, terrible state-owned industry making products no-one would buy etc.? It wasn't exactly Utopia UK before Maggie. Of course it's easy to say when you're from the south-east not the north, and my wife remembers many or most of her friends' parents being unemployed in North Wales in the '80s. So I understand the anger. But, most of her economic policies are mainstream today in the Labour party, so her legacy endures. I don't see people queuing up to re-create British Leyland today.