Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Monitor going to sleep suddenly

Hi, i am having probs starting up the game as i get the monitor going to sleep message. it hapens with this sim, cfs 3 and il2. i tried a strategy game, ie panzer corp and it did not happen. Also, I changed power settings to never turn off and it still does it. I use windows Vista core 2 duo with an HP w2207 monitor. it just started happenign a week ago but i did not do anything. It also went to sleep when viewing a image or pic and 1 email. I am at a loss. Ut runs fine in safe mode with newtworking but you cant really play games. Any one have a solution. thx.

again, i am using safe mode and can view images and emails fine without monitor going to sleep. just undr regular windows it does this.

Either monitor or graphics card related I would say

Can you get updated drivers for the Monitor - if so do so

hi, yeah i did updated drivers but they were from 2011. I may try the nvidia driver update and see. just funny it started all of a sudden.

well installed latest drivers, did anti-virus whihc removed some trojans and now when i run panzer corp from matrix games which was the strategy game mentioned above, the mouse froze and black screen. I played the game last night. I have enough disk space. started sf2 and black screen. I am at a loss.

did another test and played panzer general forever which worked but when i tried to change my resolution from 1650x1050 when you go to display settings, it gave a black screen and mouse arrow froze, but the minitor going to sleep hasn't come back.

PSU?

Yes if the PSUs on the way out it will be struggling to put enough power through

did some more tests, i tried seagate harddisk utility checker from their site even though i dont have a seagate internal hd. i ran it and it detected my internal and WD extrernal. I ran shortest pass and it failed on the internal but passed on the external. I now think it is hardware. Can ayone recommend another harddisk utility checker for integrity just to be safe.

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.8 ---------------
6/23/2013 2:58:49 PM
Model: 00AAKS-65YGA
Serial Number: W -D
Firmware Revision: 12.0
Short DST - Started 6/23/2013 2:58:49 PM
Short DST - FAIL 6/23/2013 2:59:00 PM
Sense Key: 0x05 Sense Code: 0x20 Sense Qual: 0x00 FRU: 0x00
Inquiry - Started 6/23/2013 3:03:27 PM
Short Generic - Started 6/23/2013 3:04:10 PM
Short Generic - Pass 6/23/2013 3:07:37 PM
Short DST - Started 6/23/2013 3:08:38 PM
Short DST - FAIL 6/23/2013 3:08:41 PM
Sense Key: 0x05 Sense Code: 0x20 Sense Qual: 0x00 FRU: 0x00

Edited by dsawan

Check on the website of your hard drive manufacturer for diagnostic software.  For your external HD, Western Digital should have a diagnostic program available.  If your internal hard drive is a Samsung, Seagate acquired Samsung's hard drive manufacturing business so Seagate has diagnostic software at their website for the Samsung hard drives.  I just went through the diagnostic check on my brother's Samsung hard drive, and it checked out fine on SeaTools.

if it would be the PSU the pc would suddenly shut itself or would reset the pc, but not entering in sleep mode. I never seen a PSU to cause that in 20 years of experience. More likley the video drivers are corrupted or a faulty monitor.

You check you video card to see if it is has worked loose?

hi, well i installed latest driver s for the card and no go. I disabled the vid card and it stopped the freezing and vertical lines so far. I noticed the card is very hot when touching it. nvidia geforce 8300gs, yeah i know its old.

Edited by dsawan