Swordsman422

SF2 keeps rewriting default aircraft.ini

Hey, guys. I have searched the forum for the topic on how to solve this, but to no avail. I am certain I am not using the correct key words.

Anyway, every time I start up my copy of SF2 (full merged install), the stock aircraft.ini files keep getting overwritten. I know this is happening because until the last patch was released I had the A-6A, A-6E, and A-6E_79 all flyable and the F-4B, F-4B_65 and F-4B_67 aircraft names modded in the .inis. However, once I got notification of the new patch, in order to keep any changes I have to set the aircraft.ini files if any stock planes I modify set to read only. I have not installed the May 2013 patch yet.

This might make sense if the stock aircraft were absent from the mod folder, but they are not. The game just keeps dumping in new ones every time it starts up. The data, loadout, and other .ini files are unaffected, only the aircraft.ini with the object parameters and .lod and skin lists. This is just a minor annoyance as I have a workaround for it, but I really would like to make it stop.

Thanks for any help.

I had this problem and ended up having to re install the game(s) to stop it.

The fix is easy. Go to each Aircraft.ini. Right mouse button. Go to properties. Check "only reading" and that's all! (sorry for my caveman English, my PC is in Spanish)

ojcar, that is what I've been doing. Weird thing is I wasn't having this issue until I got notification that the new patch was available. Then it started doing it.

Thanks, though. Your english reads just fine to me.

Edited by Swordsman422

Check the version.ini of the game you are trying to run ..... it should read similar to this

[Version]
BuildDate=May 2013
StrikeFighters2=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Vietnam=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Europe=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Israel=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Exp1=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Exp2=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic=TRUE
StrikeFighters2 Exp3=FALSE

[OnlineNews]
LastUpdateVersion=May 2013
LastDLCCount=29

If the BuildDate and LastUpdateVersion do not match after patching then the game rewrites the ini and also redeploys stock aircraft - this is probably part of the patch process to ensure any ini's for the aircraft are updated.

I have found that the following method works to prevent this "corrupting" all my installs:-

1. Before patching make archive copies of your saved game folders but remove the version.ini file from the backups. (You can also get away with just making a back-up of the aircraft and decals folders)

2. Apply the patch

3. Run any of the SF2 exe files and exit the game

4. Open the folder in saved games for the SF2 exe you opened and copy the version.ini file (paste it to your desktop for safety)

5. Delete the contents of the saved game folder for the exe you opened (or the aircraft and decals folders if you only backed them up) and use your back-up to replace them.

6. Copy the version.ini from your desktop to every game/mod folder in your saved game folder.

Using this method you only have one mod folder to retrieve - I generally use the test version of the game I have setup to use when checking new decals etc.

Thanks both.

SW, I'll try it when I get home (and my new wife doesn't see fit to distract me).

Wrench, I use a similar method for patching.

Thank you all, gents.

Remove (Cut out) options.ini and version.ini from the mod folder then run the game a few times

I just copy all my add on stuff to new folders,patch and copy em back...simples..if a ww2 install...I del antything that wasnt there b4 patching..