Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Tom Clancy Dies at Age 66

Terrible new... I just saw Red October and listen to the beautiful Basil Poledouris soundtrack again on yesterday's afternoon...

His first Books were great. Hunt for Red October, Cardinal in Kremlin, Without Remourse, Sum of all fears and so on. I loved them all.

Red storm rising was a very funny talesbook. Never laughed so much while reading a thriller.

What came later was ... suboptimal. America is the best, is the smartest, the only one, and the rest of the world is stupid. (Okay, the brits are a little bit less stupid than the rest of the world). This change in his way of writing was pitty.

But RIP, Tom. Your early books i will read again and again with pleasure.

Red Storm Rising was mostly written by Larry Bond.  Pick up a copy of "Red Phoenix" or "Vortex"and you'll immediately recognize the writing style as being the same as in Red Storm Rising.  I believe that Tom Clancy did most of the research regarding the order of battle of NATO and Warsaw Pact air and ground forces, though (this is speculation on my part).  

Here's a little write-up on Larry Bond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Bond

Brings To Mind Barrett Tillman's Works And Harold Coyle's Team Yankee a novel of World War III Praised By Tom Clancy.RIP Tom.

Tom could spin a yarn better than most.  RIP, from an admirer.

R.I.P. Tom Clancy, I really enjoyed his works.

But please, do not associate Tom Clancy with the SF2 franchise! SF2 is better than anything Tom Clancy ever did!