Sign in to follow this  
Geary

Confession Prayer to the God of Airplane Designers

PraetorH,

I first considered a gun pod but couldn't find a place under the fuselage to place it.  So, that left the wings.  My first choice was the SUU-23.  But that gp is too big for the wings.  So, I looked at the SUU-11, but that fires 7.62 ammo and I don't think it has the range or impact needed for jet-to-jet combat, especially at speeds the F-102 would be fighting at.  So, that left me with a virtual internal gun.  I chose the M39.  Seems to fit the 'requirements' for the F-102.  The great thing about a virtual internal gun is that I can change it quite easily. :)

I see the problem. You could create a new M39 gun pod though, or just use the GPU-2/a. It is heavier than the SUU-11, but still light enough to fit the underwing stations. I am just not sure if someone has made that one. It would be cool though...

The thing about the internal gun is that the F-102 would not be capable of housing it internally, if I am not mistaken:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fighter/f102/f102-1.gif

cloning/duplicating the hardpoints for GP only???  hhmmm???? maybe????

How about the Navy Mk4 Gunpod, I'll make one if someone can find some good drawings and spec's Some of the info I have already, It was tested on the A-4 and can be mounted on an A-6 for CAS.

If we can mount a TER on the fuel tank hard points, we could easily mount that Mk4 gunpod, and in theory have two of them. That would turn this thing into a beast...

PraetorH,

'The thing about the internal gun is that the F-102 would not be capable of housing it internally, if I am not mistaken:'

I guess it depends on 'who' you read.  Wiki says, " A proposed close-support version (never built) would have incorporated, in addition, an internal Gatling gun, an extra two hardpoints for bombs (in addition to the two underwing pylons for drop tanks that were fitted to all production F-102s), bigger internal fuel tanks, and an in-flight-refueling probe."[17]

I also guess if there was a gatling gun in the plane it would probably chatter the pilot's teeth and heat-up his hemorrhoids as he would be sitting just above it.

I think effective (20MM) gunpods on the wings would detract from the planes aerodynamics.  Which is why, I think they weren't put on the plane to begin with.  But it would still be an interesting project.  We may end up with a new F-102.

The F-106 originally didn't have a gun. It was added in 1972 (inside the weapons bay) along with a new canopy that improved visibility.

It was still stuck with the Falcon missiles, and since the missiles were carried internally there was no way to equip it with a better missile.

The plane had great performance but suffered from the classic problem of a pure delta wing - it gave you one awesome turn but bled off all its airspeed in the process.