Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

uups, wrong airport!

At least they´ve hit a runway!

I remember an IL-76 several years ago, they were cleared to land runway 21. We wondered about the angle of the approach until the tower told him that the taxiway "Alfa" (parallel to runway) is limited in wing span before he could come to stop.... 

The Dreamlifters are coming from time to time to our airport and i spoke several times to the pilots. They are really professional guys, so let´s see what the FAA report will have as result.

it is something that occasionally happens all over the world even some airlines are on the list :grin:

Reminds me on an incident, i have heared during my military time.

A czech fighter squadron came to visit an german airfield for squadron exchange. All MiGs landed, all MiG's, no, one was left.

First all thought, that the plane crashed, but then they heared the czech pilot swear "Why, for hell, the damn germans build bridged over the runway!"

So they realised two things, the guy was alive, and he had landed on the Autobahn (Motorway, Highway) near the base.

• Like 2

What I don't get is this: granted the place they landed didn't have a tower. So there was no one there to say "Don't land here!"

But weren't they in contact with the place they WERE supposed to land? Didn't they say "here we come" and get a "uh, where exactly are you?" response?

While I can accept that the pilots got lost and for some reason didn't pay attention to their GPS, I thought the purpose of ATC was to help coordinate these movements. If the plane is miles away, he's not on your radar, how can you give him permission to land? Did he land without it? Were they sleeping at ATC?

That very airplane was at Rome for something like two months.  Not sure why it was here, but I remember seeing it about every day driving to work for a while.  Going out to lunch, I learned that was the bird that made the wrong landing.