While in hospital for few days i was able to watch a burning garage outside. I took some images and wondered if SF2 could be edited to create a bigger smoke effect?

post-86717-0-66316000-1391717496_thumb.jpg

It is that an Ipad :biggrin: ?

No that's a car dealer building burning. My iPad is fine ;)

Edited by Rends
  • Like 1

have you tried some of my effect packs?

have you tried some of my effect packs?

Yep i think so. Pretty sure i have the Unified Effects Pack version 1.2 installed.

Attached is a screenshot of burining oiltanks- Guess it shot at similar distance than the real one above.

Maybe the smoke cloud vanish too early ?

post-86717-0-82420100-1391725421_thumb.jpg

I have one just  like that from my gen 1 install, very impressive huge black windblown smoke.  Tried to combine it with a large fire but had problems getting them to show in SF2.  Not sure if it was the new particle system or the  SF2 shaders or both

the particlesystem in series2 is unchanged, only the materials get shaders rest is 100% what was there

Stary,

If you find time in your spare time would you give it a try to create bigger smoke effect please?

Stary,

If you find time in your spare time would you give it a try to create bigger smoke effect please?

+1

Could you not just alter the ParticleLifeTime= figure (so the smoke lasts longer) and the ParticleSize= figures to match (so the smoke gets bigger over the new longer time)?

Thirdwire seems to now set hard limits on particle size, number, and lifetime.  Back when they did not, a limit was set on how far the effect was visible; a "smokey" fire would simply vanish at 10-12 kilometers distance, and when one turned around to fly back to that area, they would find that the effect had stopped.  That was most likely their way of maintaining an acceptable frame-rate during game play.

This is from WOV, from effects work that I was doing back in 2007-2008:

1.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

This is from WOV, from effects work that I was doing back in 2007-2008:

Yep that's the one I was talking about . I tried to combine it with Stary's old large oil fire from EE2 (pretty epic... huge flames and blasts - like an oil rig fire) but there were particle system issues in SF2.

That looks great! Was it uploaded already?

Yes, but as I said, even after adding the necessary shader statements, SF2 seems to limit particle volume and duration.  I'll try messing with it again, and if it works, I'll upload it.