Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

It's time

For an overdue upgrade!

DSCF0146.JPG

• Like 3

How ORGASMIC!!

What kind of Monitor/Display setup do you intend to have?

For most of my day to day computing and gaming, just an old LG Flatron 22" LCD@1680x1050.  I intend to use the HDMI port to connect to my TV at 1080P. as well.

I've been thinking about going to a big screen TV for my main monitor.  Need to find one I can live with.

I've been wanting to build a new computer with two PCIex16 SLI slots so I can run at least 3 monitor with the same quality.  For flight simming you just NEED three monitors.  Just can't seem to get it al together yet.  Glad I still have goals in life.

Congrats on your new system.

Thanks Geary.

Test fitting the heat sink (a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO), and checking for RAM slot interference. As you can see, I purchased an additional fan so I can evaluate this unit in push-pull mode. The low profile Kingston HyperX RAM modules just manage to squeeze underneath the pusher fan.

DSCF0151.JPG

Nice Job - see its an LGA1150 board what CPU did you go for?

I have that Evo cooler but only run it with one fan at the moment - seems adequate to keep all 4 cores fixed at 4.4Ghz. 

As I'm on a budget, for now, I've decided on the Pentium-G 3258  "20th Anniversary" CPU for now, with an eye towards upgrading to either an i-7 4790K, or possibly a Broadwell Processor (which Intel states will be usable on 9-series boards) in 6 months or so.  The G 3258 set me back just over $70, and these CPUs are supposedly great little overclockers. In fact, some have gotten as high as 4.8 gHz out of  them, and even 4.0 gHz at default voltage.  

I've paired it with an MSI GTX750i OC graphics card, and 8 GB of HyperX 1600 mHz RAM.

HOLY LEANING TOWER!!

Does that heat sink have it's own support system?

What keeps your tower from falling over?

Now I see why you were concerned about the size of the case! It fits?

Now I see why you were concerned about the size of the case! It fits?

With about 5-8 mm to spare.

HOLY LEANING TOWER!!

Does that heat sink have it's own support system?

What keeps your tower from falling over?

It's actually pretty light for its size, at 650 grams with two fans.  The Noctua NH-D15, for example, weighs more than 1 kg/2.2 lbs!  The following video is what sold me on the Cooler Master (which can be had for less than 1/3 the cost of the Noctua)  

Partly why I got one of these cases:

41-aerocool-ds-cube.jpg

The CPU is barely taxed with DCS World and a modded Falcon BMS - but my GPU which is also overclocked always maxes out with both of them - so have been waiting to see when the Geforce 880 might be coming around.

Well, the system is up and running. In a few moments, I'm going to backup some crucial files on my HDD, and then run sysprep on it.  This strips the OS of its current hardware profile, and prepares it for deployment in a new system, without losing any of your email and network settings, and retains all installed programs (though some may have be to re-registered). Once the OS sees the new hardware, it will simply ask for the corresponding drivers, as if it were a fresh install.

Edited by Fubar512

Well, I'm up and running.  Just finishing up a few tweaks, and then I'll try a few missions in SF2NA to see how it performs.

Well, it appears as though I lucked out and received a good chip.  4.0 gHz at 1.065 vcore.  

Here are temps in SF2NA, with everything maxed out.  According to Realtemp, the hottest the processor got was while it was loading a mission.  53 C max, with ambient temp at 22 C, with case temps hovering around 27 C.

SF2NA.jpg

As for the improvement in frame rates;  My maximum FPS is now 3X what it was with my old system  (it hit 200 fps a few times!). The minimum FPS hardly ever goes below 30, though it did dip into the high teens, while on an external view of Marcfighters Su-3,3 as it was sitting on the Ulyanovsk's flight deck. Even then, the amazing thing is how smooth it was. Over the stock SF2NA Iceland, the game is now smooth and playable, whereas it really wasn't before, as it stuttered badly.

Mind, you, I am coming from an E8400 Core2Duo, mildly overclocked and teamed with a GTX 250 (which was in actuality a reconstituted GTX 9800). That combo was reasonably fast.....6 years ago  :biggrin:   Compared to that system, this one seems to be appreciably faster, even while performing mundane tasks.

• Like 1

Hope you are happy! It was a big jump for me to go from the AMD Athlon 64 single core Venice to the Intel Core I5. I built the AMD back in 2005. It still works pretty well with a HD7870 gpu for any games that don't benefit from multi-core or modern RAM speeds. The Intel Core I5 runs everything pretty well.

What I really want is a 50" quad HD TV (3840x2160 pixels) that supports a 60 Hz or better refresh rate AND a PC that can run all my games at that resolution and refresh rate without using a multi-gpu setup.

For now the 46" 1080p HD TV is doing the job pretty well and my current PC can hit 60 fps with most games even if it can't stay at that frame rate during "busy" situations.

Good strategy for current flight sims - the Pentium needs far less power and runs relatively cool.

Although a mid end card I noticed the 750 has the new Maxwell CPU that will be going into the 800.

I lock SF2NA at 60hz to avoid tearing - however in DCS and BMS I have to disable VSync to burn through some of the stuttering both has - higher FPS have lower frame render times.

In BMS I see 160 - 300fps - but DCSW is only about 58 - 120.

What resolution do you currently run?

What resolution do you currently run?

Depending on the title and which moniter I output to, either 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 (1080p)

Well, it's been two years since I built this system, and I felt that it was time for a mid-cycle refresh.  

The Pentium G3258 has served me well, though it was starting to hit its ceiling when I started encoding video.  I decided it was more cost effective to replace the processor.  Rather than spending $500-600 on on a new mainboard, DDR 4 RAM, and a Skylake CPU, I went with an I-7 4790K.   An i7-6700 Skylake-based system might have given me perhaps a 7% improvement over the Haswell-based 4790K, in benchmarks, but we all know how that goes...

MCU.png

Next month, if my finances allow, I may splurge on a GTX 1060.

Temps while playing Atlantic Fleet.  Granted, not a title which really stresses hardware, but a good indicator as to how effective the Hyper 212 Evo is at cooling. Not bad for a $30 piece of kit (plus the cost of an extra fan).

4790K temp.png

The 4790 is hardly a hot one, and as you say the test wasn't particularly demanding.

I went from a 2600 to a 6700 a few months ago, and the difference was noticeable but not jarring. I anticipate having the 6700 for a long time.

I'm running a 970 right now, which is roughly the speed of a 1060 in most things, and between the CPU and card my performance is great. I would like to get a 1070, but not at the prices I see now. Maybe in 6 months.

The 1060 reportedly bests the 980 in a few titles:

Unfortunately, my 7-year old LG Flatron-22 (1680 x 1050) is dying.  I'm looking at this piece of kit to replace it:

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B17C5KO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER0).

The fact that it's "only" 1080P does not bother me at all.

As soon as you go over 1080p you need more power to get the same performance. I'd prefer to improve my 1080p image with FSAA/MSAA/WTFAA and keep the performance good. I'd like to get a GSync monitor to replace my aging one, but I think the cheapest 24" 1080p one I've seen is $400.

As soon as you go over 1080p you need more power to get the same performance. I'd prefer to improve my 1080p image with FSAA/MSAA/WTFAA and keep the performance good. I'd like to get a GSync monitor to replace my aging one, but I think the cheapest 24" 1080p one I've seen is $400.

Well, I purchased the Asus MX279 at Best Buy.  They were able to price-match Amazon. I've had it for about a week now, and I am satisfied with its image and build quality.It also has two HDMI inputs, so it allows me to run both my laptop and deskstop simultaneously (trying to view spreadsheets on a 14" laptop display is a sure-fire recipe for eye strain).

That's a good price. I've got a 14" laptop as well but it's connected to a pair of 24's here at work. :wink: