Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Problem with AI landing on carrier in SF2:NA

Perhaps the one or the other has heared, that i'm working on a fictive MiG-21K carrierborne fighter. While testflying this bird i faced a problem that drives me creasy: If a squadron comes home from a mission and the fuel level is low, the AI is very often unable to land the planes on the carrier. They dont hit the area of the arrestor cables, run over the deck and drop into the sea. With full or nearly full fuel level it never happend.

For comparision tests, i tried it with the A-7 and got the same result. A half squadron missed the cables and run over the deck.

Has someone an idea?

Close your eyes and forget it ever happened - that's what I do.

Does the arrester hook have dimensions like length ?

Or can you expand the landing wire area on the carrier?

Next would be looking at changing some AI flight control data 

If there's a

[FlightControl]

LandingSpeed=xx.xx

entry, delete it

Edited by Cliff7600

hmmm... then one wonders WHY TK put that spec on ALL ship-based aircraft then. And all land based, too.

I'd try extending the hook arm length in .5 meter increments, and give it a greater 'dangle angle', maybe 50 - 60 degrees (45 seems the standard, looking at some of the usual suspects. A-7A uses 60, as do the Phantoms)

Funny, I just ignore it also.

Wrench is right, the "dangle angle" is directly proportional to the "heat of the meat."

I have very limited experience with carrier birds but have noticed the requirement for the previously mentioned hook angle adjustment for some planes. Carrier aircraft also seem to like very slow approach speeds with lots of drag so you could try increasing the flap and gear drag while decreasing the stall and landing speeds a bit. Doing so will probably generate a more stable approach.

Without the landing speed entry the AI can adjust its speed during approach.

Like in real life, you don't land at the same speed all the time, considering weight, wind, ...

"WHY TK put that spec on ALL ship-based aircraft then. And all land based, too?"

I would answer it's a bug.

IMO I think a better data would have been :

MinLandingSpeed=

MaxLandingSpeed=

Hook arm length is the length it is  :dntknw:

The angle sure could be modified.

Thanks for answers. I will try it.