Sign in to follow this  
CoolhandF4

LSO or carrier landing aid mod

I was wondering if there are any mods that make the meatball functional, an/or make a talking LSO for carrier landings because it can get quite hard trying to eyeball the deck.

No talking LSO and as far as I know, no mods to make the IFLOLS functional.

FC

didn't Fubar and Co just release something to that effect a few weeks ago? Ed was showing screenies of it not all that long ago

didn't Fubar and Co just release something to that effect a few weeks ago? Ed was showing screenies of it not all that long ago

That was an illuminated deck mod, that also had a fixed OLS meatball, not a working one.

Don't know if would be feasible but could you use the illuminated deck method along with a bit of clever 3d modelling? i.e. have the three sets of lights - too low, too high and correct glide path - but put the correct glide path green light at the base of a a long tube of just the right angle so it can only be seen if at the right height.

This would need to be set at just the right angle on the carrier model and would be the same for all aircraft types.

landing

sounds feasible...

or,along similar lines

make the ball lighs as guns....which only point to aft...they are fixed,and dont actually fire projectiles,but lights emit only....only stumbling block is...how to get the top gun to shoot the light when a\c is high,....when a\c goes low ,lower gun then fires its light....is there a way that certain guns only fire at targets at certain altitudes...?

post-1981-0-32656500-1409456752.jpg

So let me get this straight, you're proposing that one place "enemy" gunners on a friendly ship? :grin:

I think that all of you are over-complicating the concept.  How about simply creating a tri-colored TGA-file, that once added to the modified effect, appears to change color as one views it from different perspectives?

Edited by Fubar512

there is always the way YAP did it with using a "fake friendly aircraft" sitting on a "fake cat" at the spot of the FLOLS this will give you distance and a aiming spot, I have never tried in sf2 though.

there is always the way YAP did it with using a "fake friendly aircraft" sitting on a "fake cat" at the spot of the FLOLS this will give you distance and a aiming spot, I have never tried in sf2 though.

That only works in scripted missions.

guys here is the model shown on the first picture

dimensions 5x5meters seems to be the minimum which is visible from 4km

landing light.rar

feel free to make something better :-)

Monty CZ

• Like 1

In 3D studio it is easy, If you are talking about current lods I would try "fakepilot" concept

and add it maybe as a missile because I dont know if you can add anything else by ini.

Monty CZ