Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Pumped up 1982 War over Israel

As the 1982 stock campaign is, while not easy, a bit unbalanced, i thought of different ways to make it more challenging for the Israeli side. So i pictured a much What-If ed situation, basically with Egypt siding up with Israel, but also several other issues to keep it close to the situation of the 6 Day War. A bit far fetched, but it included the pro-western position of Egypt being changed back to what it was like before Sadat, overlooking the Iran-Iraq and Libya-Egypt wars, and the Jordanian monarchy being toppled and replaced by a belligerent anti-israeli government. All right, too many factual messing up for a credible What If, but it is just an excuse to embroil the situation a bit more.

I thought of using the 1967 war as a template, and add the Egyptian Air Force (With all stock stuff, it would have F-4Es, Mirages, J-6Cs, et cetera) with some Libyan and Algerian Air Force units along them, and adding the Iraqi and Iranian Air Forces operating from Jordania. It would be stock, but it would use many resources of other titles and DLCs. However we can mass quite an amount of enemy forces to give the IDF more stuff to shoot at, and maybe even some more units to fly with for the Red side (Phantoms and Tomcats by the Iranian and Egyptian Air  Forces)

If anything, can anybody help with an Egyptian Air Force order of battle for that timeframe?

• Like 1

Hello,

From an old french magazine I've these figures

for the EAF in 1982:

14 Tu-16

35 F-4E

20 F-16A delivered

44 J-6 (ou F-6)

50 MiG-17F

36 Su-7BM

53 Mirage 5SDE2

6 Mirage 5SDR

12 MiG-21R/RF

142 MiG-21F/PFS/FL/PFM/M/MF

20 Su-7 Reco

54 Mirage 5SDE1

5 IL-28

21 C-130H

10 An-12

Coupi

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 1

I think Iran and Iraq would be a little busy fighting each other at the time wouldn't they?

Yes, i said it was one of the things it would have to overlook. Once we've crossed the line of What If, i think we can push it enough so we can add the IRIAF and the AliCats. After all, Libya and Egypt were at war not to long before that. It is just an excuse to try the best stock air force in the game against a harder challenge than the Syrian Air Force was. 

Btw, I guess some Israeli E-2Cs could be great. They appear in single missions (parked on air bases, not flying) and i wonder how helpful they could become

The Hawkeyes and other AWACS are just eye candy, really. They don't actually DO anything, like in the old Fighters Anthology game. In that one, you had a real data link you could turn on and off, and "see" beyond your aircraft radar horizon.
Here, they just fly a 200 nm circle around the CVBG, turning jet fuel into noise.

But at least they're showing up parked on the ramp!!

They also may not be flying do to lack of Naval Coding ™* on the IME map. After all, they're primary function is Naval_Search.

(*=no carrier station coding (ok, color) on the _water.bmp)

With the E-2C i had different feelings. When one was on station tasked with AEW, i would get info on flights wich otherwise wouldn´t have been noticeable either by my flight or any other, much like another flight reporting about contact and having Red Crown to tell you when playing with a ground based service, however i will have to check it more deeply as i don´t know how it works and sometimes fligths would just get past it, so its behaviour is inconsistent in that matter.