Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

How do you get Effects to work with 3rd party add-on aircraft in SF2: NA?

list items you are installing...I ll install them and see if I get the problems you have...im patched up to july2013

hmmmm no wonder some of your fuselage emitter wont work...you need check you have them   obviously you dont lol

FA-18E uses the vipervortex emmitter

VortexEmitterName=ViperVortexEmitter

FA-18F_RAAF and the FA-18F_BlkII   uses

VortexEmitterName=BuccVortexEmitter
//VortexEmitterName=F18FuselageVortexEmitter

FA-18F_BlkI uses...

VortexEmitterName=F18FuselageVortexEmitter

carrier lights works fine...just dropped folders int mod dir and fine...you have definitley mad error somewhere

screenshots in night always turn out darker ...hmmm

post-1981-0-18504100-1416091657_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

list items you are installing...I ll install them and see if I get the problems you have...im patched up to july2013

The F/A-18E/F at the top of this list:

http://combatace.com...0-fa-18-hornet/

Here's another on I can't get to work:

http://combatace.com...k-illumination/

hmmmm no wonder some of your fuselage emitter wont work...you need check you have them   obviously you dont lol

FA-18E uses the vipervortex emmitter

VortexEmitterName=ViperVortexEmitter

FA-18F_RAAF and the FA-18F_BlkII   uses

VortexEmitterName=BuccVortexEmitter

//VortexEmitterName=F18FuselageVortexEmitter

FA-18F_BlkI uses...

VortexEmitterName=F18FuselageVortexEmitter

carrier lights works fine...just dropped folders int mod dir and fine...you have definitley mad error somewhere

screenshots in night always turn out darker ...hmmm

Where do I get the right files for the F/A-18E/F?

Second what 'MOD' dir are you talking about?

See my current setup below:

post-89789-0-43115500-1416092187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dillon

kiev....in sf2 euro  I modded it to uk...heres the light mod added drag n drop and it works fine...my mods are on my 2nd hdd rather than in c:\users\name\saved games\Thirdwire\SF2\

options.ini points to it so...but it is same priciple...drag n drop folders from the carrier lights mod folder to my mod instal folder on D drive

D:\Games\Strikefighters2\Great Britain\Effects

this needs though to have the path...

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=D:\Games\Strikefighters2\Great Britain
Editors=StrikeFighters2

[screenShots]
Directory=D:\Games\Strikefighters2\Great Britain\ScreenShots
Format=JPG

post-1981-0-89417700-1416093097_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-18811500-1416093350_thumb.jpg

kiev....in sf2 euro  I modded it to uk...heres the light mod added drag n drop and it works fine...my mods are on my 2nd hdd rather than in c:\users\name\saved games\Thirdwire\SF2\

options.ini points to it so...but it is same priciple...drag n drop folders from the carrier lights mod folder to my mod instal folder on D drive

D:\Games\Strikefighters2\Great Britain\Effects

this needs though to have the path...

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Editors=StrikeFighters2

[screenShots]

Format=JPG

How do you setup a Mod location to drop things into that the game will recognize?

Edited by Dillon

try these emitters.....open f18 data.inis and try the viper ones instead 

the folders in users\saved games is the mod folder...

unless you mean an install other than stock?...

non stock mod...

go to main thirdwire folder,where original exes are   C:\Prog files\thirdwire\

copy and paste a new exe you want to make a mod folder of..

rename the copy to your choice....IE...UK.exe  

.create a shortcut on desktop and run it.and it will start game....close game when completed loading to main screen

look in users\saved games\thirdwire\sf2\    you will then see new folder called UK...thats a new mod folder...you will need to add missing folders and extract what files you may want...Terrains for instance.....then you can add any aircraft terrain etc you like

when I put the modded folders on my D drive...all I did was copy the whole Folder StrikeFighters2 folder and contents to present location....deleted all the content in each game folder in old saved games\Thirdwire\Strike fighters2 \   apart from options.ini and version.ini...

these are needed to show game where ive moved the files to...

various emitters.zip

Edited by russouk2004

try these emitters.....open f18 data.inis and try the viper ones instead 

the folders in users\saved games is the mod folder...

unless you mean an install other than stock?...

non stock mod...

go to main thirdwire folder,where original exes are   C:\Prog files\thirdwire\

copy and paste a new exe you want to make a mod folder of..

rename the copy to your choice....IE...UK.exe  

.create a shortcut on desktop and run it.and it will start game....close game when completed loading to main screen

look in users\saved games\thirdwire\sf2\    you will then see new folder called UK...thats a new mod folder...you will need to add missing folders and extract what files you may want...Terrains for instance.....then you can add any aircraft terrain etc you like

when I put the modded folders on my D drive...all I did was copy the whole Folder StrikeFighters2 folder and contents to present location....deleted all the content in each game folder in old saved games\Thirdwire\Strike fighters2 \   apart from options.ini and version.ini...

these are needed to show game where ive moved the files to...

So this is the correct process your talking about:

yup....

see...this is how my saved games\   folders now look with all the options .ini`s pointing to new location...

bottom of each ini is....

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Editors=StrikeFighters2

[screenShots]
Format=JPG

btw ...what patch level are you using?    mines latest...jul2013

post-1981-0-32402200-1416094600_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Let me get this figured out.  I'll write you back shorty.  This is exactly what I had before and deleted everything as things weren't working.

btw ...what patch level are you using?    mines latest...jul2013

I just bought the game a week ago,  I'm using version 'Jul2013'.  I got the carrier lights to work but the F/A-18 effects is still not showing up.

Is it possible to get add-on aircraft to work in the campaigns?  None of my add-on aircraft are showing up in campaign mod for me to choose then for a flight.

not sure...I think you need add them in

How do you add them in?

Dillon, from the looks of things, the Super Hornets you have are using old-style SF1 Effects. Go to your Effects folder in the StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic folder and open the F-18_Effects.ini. Right under [F18FuseVaporSmokeMaterial] add EffectShaderName=effectLightLevel.fx  Under [F18AfterburnerMaterial] add EffectShaderName=effectFire.fx It should look like this:

[F18FuseVaporSmokeMaterial]
EffectShaderName=effectLightLevel.fx
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
IgnoreRenderOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE
LightEnabled=FALSE
UseLightLevel=TRUE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
ZBufferOffset=0.000000
PriorityLevel=3
BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].TextureName=F18-fusevapor.tga
TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE
TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE
TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

[F18AfterburnerMaterial]
EffectShaderName=effectFire.fx
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
IgnoreRenderOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE
LightEnabled=FALSE
UseLightLevel=FALSE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
ZBufferOffset=2.000000
PriorityLevel=3
BlendOp=BLEND_INV_SRC_ALPHA_ADD_SRC
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].TextureName=F18_BURNER.tga
TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE
TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE
TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

This will bring them to SF2 standard. Good luck!

Dillon, from the looks of things, the Super Hornets you have are using old-style SF1 Effects. Go to your Effects folder in the StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic folder and open the F-18_Effects.ini. Right under [F18FuseVaporSmokeMaterial] add EffectShaderName=effectLightLevel.fx  Under [F18AfterburnerMaterial] add EffectShaderName=effectFire.fx It should look like this:

This will bring them to SF2 standard. Good luck!

Awesome tip and it worked. :yahoo:   My only issue now is how the fuselage smoke/mist effect looks (very lackluster and barely noticeable).  Are there better options out there for this effect concerning the F/A-18 and how do I install them?

Another thing I've noticed is this F/A-18 package only has Sidewinder Missiles, how do I get AMRAAM missiles installed and functioning on this model?

add via data.ini ...under weapon station you can put them on..like so

[station04]
SystemType=WEAPON_STATION
StationID=4
StationGroupID=2
StationType=EXTERNAL
AttachmentPosition=3.78,-3.83,-0.59
AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
EjectVelocity=0.0,0.0,-2.0
LoadLimit=200
AllowedWeaponClass=IRM,SAHM,AHM,ARM,ASM
AttachmentType=SOVIET
ModelNodeName=Pylon_R_OuterIRM
PylonMass=72.58
PylonDragArea=0.02

Are the proper weapons already in the sim?

yes...mostly...but you can grab weapons packs from d\l area...new hi res us and soviet weapons too...

Looks like the appropriate weapons are listed in the F/A-18E/F's data.ini file yet they don't show up in the sim as options for me to add them to the plane's load.  All I get for these aircraft are Sidewinder options.  

EDIT:  Maybe a clue to this is when I look at 'Available Stores' once the F/A-18E/F is chosen only Sidewinders are offered.  How do I change what's available for the F/A-18E/F?

FA-18E_LOADOUT.INI shows that I should have the AIM-120C available to choose from.

Edited by Dillon

Be

Looks like the appropriate weapons are listed in the F/A-18E/F's data.ini file yet they don't show up in the sim as options for me to add them to the plane's load.  All I get for these aircraft are Sidewinder options.

Because the series ends in 1982 or 1986, so the developer felt no need to add weapons that did not exist at the time (such as the AMRAAM).  That's where the modding community steps in.  Look in the downloads section for the appropriate weapons pack,  download, and install it. 

But again (and I cannot stress this often enough), take the time to read through the SF2 knowledge base.

Be

Because the series ends in 1982 or 1986, so the developer felt no need to add weapons that did not exist at the time (such as the AMRAAM).  That's where the modding community steps in.  Look in the downloads section for the appropriate weapons pack,  download, and install it. 

But again (and I cannot stress this often enough), take the time to read through the SF2 knowledge base.

I'm currently looking for the weapons pak but can't find it.  

Ok, Dillon, here's the deal. Now that we figured out why those effects weren't working, I went back and looked at the page you d'loaded those Hornets from and, sure enough, they are intended for SF1, not SF2. My advice is to delete them and everything associated with them and download hot, fresh, and tasty NEW ones from here: http://combatace.com/files/category/667-f-18/ . You need the top two files. These come with an ultra-complete weapons pack and are the latest issue. The only problem is the project team experienced some "burnout" towards the end and some things were not completed. When you see the amount of work that went into them you can understand the burnout issue. I would give them a shot.

Ok, Dillon, here's the deal. Now that we figured out why those effects weren't working, I went back and looked at the page you d'loaded those Hornets from and, sure enough, they are intended for SF1, not SF2. My advice is to delete them and everything associated with them and download hot, fresh, and tasty NEW ones from here: http://combatace.com/files/category/667-f-18/ . You need the top two files. These come with an ultra-complete weapons pack and are the latest issue. The only problem is the project team experienced some "burnout" towards the end and some things were not completed. When you see the amount of work that went into them you can understand the burnout issue. I would give them a shot.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm going to give these new F/A-18E/F's a try.

Edited by Dillon