lauvo

European Air War HD

3 hours ago, Sky High said:

I actually never had that patch. However, I installed EAW 1.2, added the 'Great Shot' add-on in its entirety over it; removed the file 'main2pic;' and added a complete 1.28e install, which I had downloaded from SimHQ, directly upon the 1.2/Great Shot install. It worked fine. It seems others have directed you to the Great Shot files. It's a nice compilation of older, but quality, mods with nice skins and sounds. I'd recommend looking at the extras, also.

Thank you for your quick reply, and explanation.  I particularly appreciate very full explanations because I am Ignorant, as previously mentioned.  Hopefully not stupid, but definitely ignorant.

I will have to try out your suggestion, and play it.  I promise to give it a fair shot.  That said, and risking heresy, the BAT mods on top of IL-2 1946 game, as well as certain mods on top of the "First Eagles" game make for some very tough competition.  It's all good, and thank you very much!

AS an afterthought, I have most of the early versions of EAW, up to 1.28E, installed, and runnable.  Is it possible to improve on 1.28E while still maintaining backwards capability for mods created prior to that point?  Is installing 1.29 version of the game a distinct advance over 1-28E?

Naturally, I have V1.60 and EAWPRO up and runnable.

Your suggestions are invited.

47 minutes ago, RIBob said:

Thank you for your quick reply, and explanation.  I particularly appreciate very full explanations because I am Ignorant, as previously mentioned.  Hopefully not stupid, but definitely ignorant.

I will have to try out your suggestion, and play it.  I promise to give it a fair shot.  That said, and risking heresy, the BAT mods on top of IL-2 1946 game, as well as certain mods on top of the "First Eagles" game make for some very tough competition.  It's all good, and thank you very much!

AS an afterthought, I have most of the early versions of EAW, up to 1.28E, installed, and runnable.  Is it possible to improve on 1.28E while still maintaining backwards capability for mods created prior to that point?  Is installing 1.29 version of the game a distinct advance over 1-28E?

Naturally, I have V1.60 and EAWPRO up and runnable.

Your suggestions are invited.

I cannot get 1.29 to work, at all. But 1.28E works backwards nicely for me and I can mix and match quite widely, while still keeping the improved dm's and fm's, not to mention that much-improved AI. I think that EAW1.28's AI is better balanced than IL-2's. Still, it's great to have both.

Hmmmmmmmm.  I wonder how I was fortunate enough to "settle" on 1.28E as my base EAW version.  Probably just luck, back then.  Napoleon considered "luck" as one of the foremost attributes of any soldier.

I confess to like V1.28E, but am open to suggestions.  Might be the "sweet spot", so to speak. 

I am more than willing to fly any and all sims, as long as they play decently.  I have put up with a fair amount of coaxing some sims to play.  For the most part, the more coaxing they need, the less the basic sim is found to be worth doing so.  Nevertheless, there are some diamonds to be found.

My ancient, but upgraded computer allows me to play IL-2 with almost no limitations, just for reference.  EAW, in all its' permutations, has never been an issue, as far as playability goes.  Screen garbling is another issue, and occasionally very objectionable. I'm somewhat familiar with the Wrapper programs suggested for using with EAW.

I mention this last because it might make a difference in your future comments, and FYI, as pertinent.

Thank you for your response, BTW.  Exactly what was needed. 

• Like 1

I think theres a 1.29 version floating around that Col Gibbon had from Jel.

I think it was a stripped down to the essentials. I may have it, but someone else may find it first.

• Similar Content

• By MarkEAW
      New Help Document of sorts. (I'm still working on it)
      This doc tells you the three methods I know to have multiple installs of EAW.
      Most of us just to full installs and copy the game folder to make new installs. The other methods are not much use anymore, other than for testing stuff out.
      https://eaw.neocities.org/many-copies.html
    • By MarkEAW
      Just a note,
      Normally running EAW natively on WinNT machines, EAW won't run or correctly if the filename is not eaw.exe. (Campaigns/Careers will now save correctly)

However after some test when running EAW within a Wrapper Program you can have as many game.exe's in the games folder you want, they just need to be named differently, such as eaw12.exe, eaw12a.exe, eaw12x.exe, eaw126e.exe etc.
      (You should at least have one exe, preferably the standard 1.2 as eaw.exe in your games folder so the noCD function works with it).
      You just have to have a shortcut within the wrapper program pointing to each exe.
      (I've added this and more info to my web site now and continue to explore more ideas)
    • By MarkEAW
      Anything going on with EAW?
      I get plenty of visits still to my site. I wonder if the few pilots are getting enough help?
    • By MarkEAW
      If you have the GOG release, the Campaign Films (The cut scenes) will tend to crash the game during Career Modes when they go to play the .smk movies. This is true for the standard MPS EAW Game as well, just more common.
      You can download a 'empty' MOVIES.CDF file and drop it into your EAWv1.2GOG version game folder and it will allow the game to get past the cut scene, by skipping it.
      Get the Empty Movies.CDF here at CombatACE in the EAW Downloads if you need it. (Its 7-zip so make sure you have that program to un zip it.)
    • By MarkEAW
      Here's a few videos I have watched on EAW:
      One of them mentions my install instructions, which was a surprise, these are by "damsonn".
      I think in all of his videos he is using v1.2 on a Win10 64bit system in 3dfxGlide Mode, running nGlide Wrapper at double the res of the EAW standard game , which is defaulted at (640x480).
      Note: NGlide cleaning upscales the graphics and cockpit dials, and everything else. (Other wrappers do this too, I just don't remember which ones).

European Air War v1.2 (stock version) running on Windows 10 64-bit - YouTube
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGPfM0v3TU

European Air War - 2 RAF Campaign Missions - YouTube
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZdTVElOuQ

European Air War - Luftwaffe Campaign Mission - Bomber Intercept - YouTube
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5O4baT7Zrk

BTW I didn't embed the videos as it looked too big, I prefer videos viewed at there home sites anyhow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..