Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 - No.1 (Saarbrücken) Squadron, Saarland Air Self Defence Force, 1955

Immediately after World War 1 the League of Nations created the 'Territory of the Saar Basin' (the Saarland) whose inhabitants voted to rejoin Germany in 1935. But after World War 2 Saarland was separated from the rest of Germany to become a French-occupied territory known as the 'Saar Protectorate' later becoming a member of the Council of Europe in 1950. Despite Saarland's status as a French protectorate it was granted US Mutual Defense Assistance Act funds to form an embryonic air defence force known as the Saarland Air Self Defence Force (SASDF) and with US domestic military production committed to the Korean War it allowed the UK and French governments to supply suitable aircraft as part of the US Offshore Procurement Policy.

The first SASDF squadron to form was No.1 (Saarbrücken) Squadron who were equipped with Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8's from 1951 to 1957 operating in the air defence role and only relinquishing this task when the SASDF was absorbed into the recently created West German Luftwaffe when Saarland joined the Federal Republic of Germany following the Saar Treaty of October 1956.

SASDF%20METEOR%20F8.01_zpsaznkvtlf.jpg

SASDF%20METEOR%20F8.02_zpsbezqa2tp.jpg

SASDF%20METEOR%20F8.03_zpsw5elhclu.jpg

SASDF%20METEOR%20F8.04_zpsfqdbynjk.jpg

SASDF%20METEOR%20F8.05_zpswjptrctb.jpg

SASDF%20METEOR%20F8.06_zpsnzrkkm01.jpg

• Like 4

Nice Meteors!

Who knew that the Saar existed as an independent state from 1945 until 1956?

If they had an air force they would probably have used French aircraft though!

Nice Meteors!

Who knew that the Saar existed as an independent state from 1945 until 1956?

If they had an air force they would probably have used French aircraft though!

That was exactly my thoughts but only the Ouragon fitted the timeline and I didn't have a blank skin for it. With limited time I plumped for the Meteor but might well create a second squadron. Who knows? After the 1955 referendum perhaps they became an independent nation which opens up a lot of possibilities....

Alfie, I've had the tempates for Pasko's  Ouragon since 2009. You want I should upload them??

mind you, there's a major mapping issue on one of the ailerons (like, it isn't!)

• Like 1

Alfie, I've had the tempates for Pasko's  Ouragon since 2009. You want I should upload them??

mind you, there's a major mapping issue on one of the ailerons (like, it isn't!)

Yes, that would be cool. Thank you. No rush though.

Done!

enjoy! :biggrin: