Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Infantry with AAA capability?

Is posible to create (DATA only, as we already have plenty of infantry squads 3d models) a mobile infantry that shoot back at you with his small arms? I want to have a COIN target capable of shooting you down, but at same time that is capable of moving, I don't need them to shoot back at ground target, and don't care If only one muzzle flash appears as long as it simulates rifle caliber guns. Think of it as a kind of mobile AAA if that is possible in SF, then I can generate CAS missions and mix those guys with real tanks.

I think some of the infantry units already are written up to shoot at you with small arms and MANPADs.

YAP did stuff like this in most of the missions back in SF1..............consider a lot of Nam was CAS against troops................. assume you never got it?. Would hope it is easier with the mission editor but even then you will have to improvise and change objects to do things in different ways.

I think some of the infantry units already are written up to shoot at you with small arms and MANPADs.

Will need to recheck the download version again.

New infantry will arrive ... perhaps this year. Still need testing the mechanics, and of course better models.

Ok, here's the relevant parts of the Data.ini from the IraqSquad found in the DS mod. I'm fairly positive they'll engage your flight thanks to being set to AIR_AND_GROUND. 

[DetectSystem]
TargetType=AIR_AND_GROUND
DataLink=FALSE
OpticalSight=TRUE
NightSight=FALSE
VisualRange=1500.0
ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,1.35
MaxVisibleDistance=2000.0
RadarCrossSection=10

[WeaponSystem]
TargetType=AIR_AND_GROUND
GunRange=600.0
PitchAngleRate=10
MaxPitch=15.0
MinPitch=-1.0
DefaultPitchAngle=0.0
YawAngleRate=50
YawLimited=TRUE
MaxYaw=1.0
MinYaw=-1.0
DefaultYawAngle=0
ReloadGunAtAngle=True
GunRecoil=0
GunStabilization=FALSE
GunRadarTracking=FALSE
RangeFinder=0
BallisticComputer=0
YawModelNodeName=Bodylaw
PitchModelNodeName=Bazooka

• Like 1

And they shoot!! Great find! Now, i think I will eliminate the bazooka as is too precise at the moment! Will keep investigating, thanks for the tip!

img00012_zpsrkwmziih.jpg

yes, they will indeed shoot at you. However, when YOU appear, they (the ground units) stop shooting at other ground units, and fully concentrate on the air assests.

this is what we found when building/testing the DS mod in 2008

Stratos, I took another look and the US Marines infantry unit calls for two Stingers. Try out a mission against those!

Wrench, is it just the infantry that does that? Swear I've seen T-55s engage air and ground targets at the same time.

Tanks in the Black Sea Crisis mod will shoot their machineguns at you while engaging their opposite. Infantry in Vietnam Expanded shoot as well (both cases are particularly noticeable if you are flying a helicopter, since you spend more time within their range).

I do not remember if infantry can fire RPGs at you, though. I´d swear I´ve seen trails in VEx and Desert Storm.

Edited by Saavedra
  • Like 1

I set up infantry as a warships, and each squad member is a gun turret, hull being an invisible "glass plate". There is an  AA guy with Strela and it do fire. They are a hell when many of them huh. The turn their bodies randomly like turrets (within their designated firing arc) and it's quite lively. Too bad the legs can't be animated(

There are some bugs however. In theory each of them fire only at legal targets for their weapon type.. Air AND Ground types seem to prefer air however.

I have an experiment for artillery too with inf spotters in network, but in early stages. I have mortar guy, but needs help with ballistic shots (shell.ini?)

I would be happy to share experience with anyone

Edited by Snailman
  • Like 1

I need to keep investigating this, as is really fun!

Anyone know If we have a proper small arm tracer? At the moment is a bit too big.

try the one from the ZPU or Culcan. Stock ones. They seem to be thin enough for me

But it is possible to make smaller one. it's just hardly visible tho

Edited by Snailman

Snailman, talk to EricJ. The spotting part was his line of work IRL, and he might be able to give you some advice on it