Dave

How to Optimize Windows 10 For GAMING & Power Users

Great video. 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this, Dave!  Actually I have done most of these tweaks to my Win10 already, but surely it will be useful for less experienced users. My small advice is not to follow what the guy on the video suggests while in the System Protection tab, when you are in the control panel.  He disables system restore points, and those can save your system's life if anything goes wrong with Windows 10 (damned) automatic updates or if you get a virus, etc.

PS: actually there is a way to disable Windows 10 automatic updates, but that takes quite a while to do.

Thanks for posting this, Dave!  Actually I have done most of these tweaks to my Win10 already, but surely it will be useful for less experienced users. My small advice is not to follow what the guy on the video suggests while in the System Protection tab, when you are in the control panel.  He disables system restore points, and those can save your system's life if anything goes wrong with Windows 10 (damned) automatic updates or if you get a virus, etc.

PS: actually there is a way to disable Windows 10 automatic updates, but that takes quite a while to do.

I kept my restore point set too. 

Is this is trick question? I thought the answer was to format the drive and install Win 7 ;)

My Win 10 upgrade icon still reports, "We're validating Windows 10 for your PC". If it ever allows me to download Win 10, I plan on installing it on a new hard drive. Win 7 has worked better for me both at home and at work than anything before it. I am fearful of destroying such a stable and fast installation. 

As I have told everyone that has Win 7, keep it. I had 8.1 on this thing so of course I was going to get Win 10. If could of gotten Win 7 on this I would of never changed. So my advice, keep your Win 7. 

As I have told everyone that has Win 7, keep it. I had 8.1 on this thing so of course I was going to get Win 10. If could of gotten Win 7 on this I would of never changed. So my advice, keep your Win 7.

I agree!!!!!

On Windows 7 and took the upgrade to 10. What a mess!! Rolled back to 7 and there I will stay.

Well, it can't hurt if I use a new hard drive for Win 10, and then roll back by swapping hard drives?

Ultimately some games will require later DirectX than Win 7 supports, so I have to go to Win 10 sooner or later.

But DCS isn't going that route any time soon and I don't think I presently have any games that will require a later DirectX.

But if I ever get Prepar3d FSX flavor, I guess I could use more advanced DirectX?

• Like 1

I bought a cheap 128gb ssd and put windows 7 on that and dual boot....as some things like 3ds max dont like win10

• Like 1

If you like your Windows 7, you can keep it. :biggrin:

I did the same thing. I had a laptop that came with 8 that had been upgraded to 8.1, now it's running 10. My desktop running 7...is still running 7.

We have until next summer to decide to go with the free update or not. I see no reason to rush it. I may indeed wind up going with the "image it to an external HD" route so I can fall back later. I'd try dual booting, but my multi-HD system has games installed in multiple partitions and I would need to do some serious rearranging to manage it.

My situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that I use an SSD for Windows, but have a conventional mirrored raid 1 array that hosts all my other files including windows user folders and steam applications. So, I might be better off staying with Windows 7 or fully migrating... though I could image the RAID array to a new pair of drives as well... maybe even make those SSD, too.

My situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that I use an SSD for Windows, but have a conventional mirrored raid 1 array that hosts all my other files including windows user folders and steam applications. So, I might be better off staying with Windows 7 or fully migrating... though I could image the RAID array to a new pair of drives as well... maybe even make those SSD, too.

Decisions decisions...