Hi All,

I was putting aside some skinning of aircraft due to lack of time and programs that were giving my headaches... Now i finally decided to try GIMP as it seems to be one used by many here and i was tired of seiing my work done destroyed by poor file rendering after saving it... And wow, i love this program as a lot of things can be done with it without much effort.

Now my question : Is there a way in it to select a part of the drawing and replace everything similar with another ''image''. Exemple, a square of 4 units x 4 units plain and have the same thing, but round. The main thing here is that i went from a 512x512 skin in BPM and i now have it in 2048x2048 in JPG and my rivets are like... yeuk :)

See image as it speaks for itself :)

I would like to quick solve my rivets so a lot can be done quicker then having to copy/paste the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Hey there,

I'm not familiar with Gimp, as I use Photoshop. In Photoshop you can use the Brush-Tool for that. You can set up the space between indivitual points and paint them in a straight line, so the result is a straight line of points. Maybe there is something similar in Gimp?

Otherwise, why not paint a straight line of rivets on an individual layer for use as template and copy/paste this line over und over and place it manually. It's more work, but in some areas you have to adjust them manually anyway.

Edited by Nyghtfall

I'm not doing them point by point, but by lines of points as you said Nyghtfall. I looking to get a quicker way to do them, so less time consuming :)

I will check if Gimp as the option you have in Photoshop.

Thanks for the input.

...so less time consuming :)

Well, my impression of skinning is, the time you save on one end is consumed on another end. But as long as you like the result, it's ok I guess. :)

Then i have to make time a friend of mine :)

Having done the wings, part of the fuselage i'm okay to do a decent job :)

Will take a little bit more time, but sure some here will like the result of my first skin (at least I will love it)

you do know that the Skyraider templates were made years ago, and are readily available, right??

you do know that the Skyraider templates were made years ago, and are readily available, right??

I know that Wrench, and you recently made beautiful one's. But there is a particular one i made years ago in BMP on a 512x512 scale VA-176 with the Bee). I just want to convert it in 2048x2048 JPG and adding a lot of detail and if i have the will to do it, completely redo the skin.

As said, a lot have been already done, but there is still work to do. Plus, i plan to do a ''fresh'' skin, right out of paint box shop :)

I use paintshop pro. 7.04 for most of my stuff...and ps for other bits...

psp is sometimes more user friendly....there is a version out there free to use.on a site that has abandon ware...I forget the site name..I have it if you want it....

small vid to show how easy to copy areas you need repeat easily...

2016-01-02-23-54-50.wmv

Paint Shop Pro 7.04 Anniversary Edition RETAIL.7z

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 3

Thanks russouk for sharing the file. Checked also your little tutorial and found i could do almost the same thing in GIMP. I still have a lot to do as my skin was made in Microsoft paint (i know this really sucks). Bur hey, we talk of a skin made bout 6 years ago... :)

I have redone my rivets tonight on both wings and part of the fuselage and they are fine for me now. So what's left is patience and time to copy paste every rivets that needs to be done and do some others changes 

Hope to have a really nice bird to show soon to you all!

• Like 3

I'll bite.

Where can I find them ?

Thanks.

CL

• Like 1

I'll bite.

Where can I find them ?

Thanks.

CL

Read the entire thread....

• Like 1

I swear to the gods, I uploaded the frelling things!! But they ain't in the /Skins/Templates section.

well, I'll get that taken care of later today

• Like 1