Sign in to follow this  
1977Frenchie

Thinking about new desktop

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a affordable PC for playing SF2 and few games (newer ons beiing World of Warships). No big video editing, no play on more recent games. Will do various office applications with it, but nothing graphic related.

Came through the HP Envy 750-109 which specs are :

HP ENVY 750-109 Computer Tower: Superior Design.

Having exceptional sound quality and video graphics is certain with the HP ENVY 750-109 computer tower. With high definition audio, including 5.1 surround sound, and NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, the HP ENVY makes entertainment come alive.

• Processor: 3.40GHz 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700
  • RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L-1600 SDRAM memory
  • Hard drive: 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
  • Included in the box: HP ENVY 750-109; wireless chiclet-style keyboard with volume control and optical mouse
  • Language: Bilingual
  • Up to 4178MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 10
  • Sound card: High Definition Audio with up to 5.1 surround sound capabilities
  • Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner
  • Media card reader: HP 7-in-1 Media Card Reader-Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Select, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick MagicGate
  • Wireless: Integrated Bluetooth® 4.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac featuring Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 1x1 technology
  • Warranty: 1-Year limited hardware warranty
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Processor: 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 processor
  • Memory: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L-1600 SDRAM memory 1x8GB
  • Hard drive: 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 graphics card with 4GB DDR3 dedicated memory
  • Mouse and keyboard: Wireless chiclet-style keyboard with volume control and optical mouse
  • Optical drive: Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner
  • USB ports: 8 (4 x 2.0 , 4 x 3.0)

So with that in my, does for 899.99$ cad i have a decent computer to play SF2 full détails?

Currently have a laptop with 8mb RAM, GeForce 840M card, i5 processor and can't run full détails...

Any inputs will surely help my choice!

Thanks!

The system you listed might be a little light in the graphics card department.  You would probably be happier with a better graphics card than a GTX 745.

As above if you are bothered about running GFX in SF2 probably a GTX-750Ti (e.g. type with big fans for cooling) as a minimum (others give it good reviews) it has some 900 series type architecture.

Also GTX-770 or even 970 

And seriously......I recommend you should get an SSD and install windows on that (e.g. Samsung Evo) and use the HD for file storage  (check the board supports SATA 3 (6gps). If you dont you will kick yourself.....windows on an SSD.....well you know how lag free and quick iPads are yes...........(Even a SATA 3 HD is too slow IMO) 

you can get a 970 for just a little more over the cost of a 745     

you can get a 970 for just a little more over the cost of a 745     

A 970 is at least an additional $250 on the unit that he's looking at (from the factory).

ahh ok....ive bought one from overcloskers uk fo 280 quid....but there are 970 s for just over 200 quid...for same money can get an amd R9 card,same performance as a 970 but amd comes with 8gb of ddr5 ram...i may get one also,as driver probs with nvid on sf2..

As above if you are bothered about running GFX in SF2 probably a GTX-750Ti (e.g. type with big fans for cooling) as a minimum (others give it good reviews) it has some 900 series type architecture.

Also GTX-770 or even 970 

And seriously......I recommend you should get an SSD and install windows on that (e.g. Samsung Evo) and use the HD for file storage  (check the board supports SATA 3 (6gps). If you dont you will kick yourself.....windows on an SSD.....well you know how lag free and quick iPads are yes...........(Even a SATA 3 HD is too slow IMO) 

I knew that on the graphic board, the GTX 745 would be put to it's limits. Considering i currently have a 840M and that the 745 is on average 26% better, i would stick with it in the short term. Is not satisfied, will upgrade it.

In the installation, i will put on a SSD that will handle Windows10 and add some RAM to put it up to 16Mb. I should see a great improve just by adding a SSD as i saw it.

Thanks Mig for the inputs and thanks to the others also!

I might already go up tu the GFX 750ti instead of the 745. Seems to be a bit more better and stock to the retailer

Okay, i decided to open up the wallet and think long time...

opted for the Alienware X51 R3 desktop (i7-6700 processor, 16Go RAM, GTX 960 graphic card, 256Gb SSD + 2Tb HDD) plus a 24 inches monitor.

Hope that with this configuration i will be able to max out everything :)

Holy jeez...GTX 960 w onboard fire extinguisher...   screenshot alert...

• Like 1

Holy jeez...GTX 960 w onboard fire extinguisher...   screenshot alert...

Hope it will get graphics on fire :) And yes, screenshot times and i will fire this one up!