Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Atlantic Fleet PC/Mac Edition Available

Re-fighting the Battle of the River Plate is equal fun;

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-03 22-54-31-30.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-03 22-56-45-73.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-03 22-57-58-65.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-03 23-06-49-84.jpg

Man, that looks really good... I suppose I'll have to just cave in and get either Steam or a smartphone. Or hope that it comes out on GOG.com.

Or hope that it comes out on GOG.com.

No it does not.

Steam is about 75% of the PC market these days. We don't really have the manpower to operate yet another storefront with all the support and community interaction that involves. I don't understand the antipathy towards Steam btw. I've used it since it was in beta back when CS 1.6 was released and never felt uneasy about it, unlike other storefronts like uPlay or Origin.

An added layer of complexity for gaming I suppose. You got windows, got the game, now inbetween there's steam, so like a third wheel.. is OK when it works and not good when it doesn't. But im sure it is only for the minority... where I belong tho, usually deinstall steam after finishing a game i bought there. But dont mind using it for good games.

PS havent checked, but im pretty sure AF can be run with steam deleted. Hmmm.

Edited by Do335

Well, it's full Steam ahead, for me...

...end of a raider, as Cornwall blows Pinguin's cover...

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-36-13-59.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-38-15-02.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-49-08-75.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-47-36-15.jpg

...and a duel develops in the Western approaches, as a flotilla of big German destroyers is intercepted by a force of British light cruisers and destroyers...

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-21-10-42.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-28-25-03.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 15-32-16-41.jpg

Love it.

• Like 1

Some of the Allied battle-wagons available:

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-37-45-51.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-38-05-93.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-38-31-00.jpg

Any ships which don't feature in one of the c.30 historical pre-set battles included, you can quickly put into a custom mission (the first option in the list of Single Battles is 'Custom Battle' and this launches a simple mission generator). The ship selection option for this lets you scroll through the available ships for each side in turn, and even though one ship represents all those in its class (with none of the subtle variations between many actual sister ships), the variety is as impressive as the visual quality, as this sample will show:

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-36-24-49.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-30-58-27.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-30-07-01.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-30-10-70.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-31-17-27.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-31-35-37.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-31-49-65.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-32-29-67.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-32-58-15.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-33-27-98.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-34-06-04.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-35-05-95.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-35-12-99.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-35-54-71.jpg

AtlanticFleet 2016-03-05 17-35-14-70.jpg

These are not fixed renderings, but fully animated, with the view panning aound the ship, exactly as it will appear in-game.

Atlantic Fleet is definitely an absolute must-have for anyone with an interest in gaming WW2 naval battles and very highly recommended for anyone other gamer. The content, gameplay, production values, historical fidelity, width and depth I find hugely impressive and reflect tremendous credit on everyone involved in putting this big gem - now it's on the PC and Mac, it's not a little gem anymore! - to sea.

I have some issues with Steam. So, I only use it when it is practical.

1. I can't open Steam without always getting some sort of update and potentially needing to restart Steam. If it is late at night and I only have a few minutes to kill, wasting even the smallest big of time authenticating/updating Steam is annoying.

2. In the past some Steam games required Windows Administrator rights to be properly installed and/or updated despite Steam's recommendation not to run it with full admin rights. So, on top of the aforementioned updates, I also have to deal with a pop-up every time I start Steam.

3. Some Steam games don't work so well if the internet connection is slow or non-existent.

4. Some Steam games have anti-piracy schemes in addition to Steam that defeat the biggest advantage of Steam: portability of my game library to as many PCs as I want. (Here's looking at you, DCS World)

5. Steam is just one more user database that is at risk to be hacked, potentially with critical financial information.

My preference for games has been and always will be the style that Third Wire and GOG follow: clean installs without any copy protection schemes that degrade with time, require some sort of online authentication server, or degrade the performance of my PC in any way, shape, or form. But, if I am going to have to deal with a protection scheme, Steam is the way to go when it works correctly (and your internet service is consistently up and fast).

I could not fail to do a distinct review for Atlantic Fleet, and the first part is now up, here.

yeah Ive just bought this game on Steam myself after seeing these screenshots on here, once i did a bit of research it seemed like a great game and now that I have played it its even better than I thought it would be! For £6 and more than 15 hours just over the weekend thats a hell of a good value but I will be playing this for months probably. It so reminds me of the classic PC games of the 90s when you got great graphics, great gameplay, a lot of depth but not overly complex to actually get into. I can pick this game up play a few missions over an evening after work and really enjoy it.

And it is actually really scarily realistic with smoke, varying ballistics, buoyancy mechanics that affect sinking, star shells, spotting, stealth, destroyer torpedoes, Sunderland Flying Boats, squid, hedgehogs,  - its just got flipping well everything not to mention practically every sea going ship and plane type that was around the Atlantic during WW2! And if that is not enough it even has a dynamic campaign! How the hell they fitted all this into the original Android version!

Really the makers of many PC sims around today should take note of how good this game is, its amazing. I ahvent bought a DCS game or a recent IL game or given the RoF lot any more of my money - these guys are getting it all. Also they are really communicative over on Steam and you can tell tehy love their jobs!

If they create a new Pacific game they can have my £30 for it now. But I believe they are busy working on a new real time naval game - cant wait to see what that is!

Edited by nstutt

yeah Ive just bought this game on Steam myself after seeing these screenshots on here, once i did a bit of research it seemed like a great game and now that I have played it its even better than I thought it would be! For £6 and more than 15 hours just over the weekend thats a hell of a good value but I will be playing this for months probably. It so reminds me of the classic PC games of the 90s when you got great graphics, great gameplay, a lot of depth but not overly complex to actually get into. I can pick this game up play a few missions over an evening after work and really enjoy it.

And it is actually really scarily realistic with smoke, varying ballistics, buoyancy mechanics that affect sinking, star shells, spotting, stealth, destroyer torpedoes, Sunderland Flying Boats, squid, hedgehogs,  - its just got flipping well everything not to mention practically every sea going ship and plane type that was around the Atlantic during WW2! And if that is not enough it even has a dynamic campaign! How the hell they fitted all this into the original Android version!

Really the makers of many PC sims around today should take note of how good this game is, its amazing. I ahvent bought a DCS game or a recent IL game or given the RoF lot any more of my money - these guys are getting it all. Also they are really communicative over on Steam and you can tell tehy love their jobs!

If they create a new Pacific game they can have my £30 for it now. But I believe they are busy working on a new real time naval game - cant wait to see what that is!

Couldn't agree more - my sentiments exactly! This is an instant classic - it's that good.

• Like 1

Beta 1.01 patch available on Steam

Changelog:

Atlantic Fleet version 1.01 is now available as a beta. To test the beta, right-click on Atlantic Fleet in the Steam client and select Properties. From the Properties window, click the Betas tab.

Additions:
- all sliders can now be used via key commands
- keys for 0.1 degree elevation change
- full keyboard support for tactical map
- ship telegraph now responds to each setting individually
- ship speed can also be set by keys 1-6
- mouse wheel zoom for tactical map and binoculars
- hide combat interface toggle for screenshots, F9 Key
- submarine depth now displayed
- keys for selecting carrier wings and load out

Fixes/Improvements:
- fixed a bug that *might* involve AI movement hanging the turn
- holding mouse button on a slider when firing no longer hangs the turn
- improved graphics/shader compatibility
- distant smoke no longer blocks closer ships
- player hedgehogs no longer cause sonar disruption
- added missing AA guns to Courageous class
- improved pilot graphics on some aircraft
- decreased shell graphic size
- music in combat set to on by default

http://steamcommunity.com/app/420440

• Like 1

Given that Storm Eagle Studios seems to have sunk without trace, perhaps Killerfish could negotiate for a license to use their models for a Killerfish WWI issue.

But anyway, raising a glass to the great game you already have.

Well done.