Sign in to follow this  
Coupi

Northrop Grumman T-X revealed!

I think is an updated T-38, at least in basic appeareance. Tought they already selected the M-346, but it seems I was wrong, also heard that the Scorpion was selected as the A-10 replacement.

Is this a true prototype or a mock up?

My money is on the T-50, the M-346 doesn't have the performance to meet the requirements, this bird looks to be fairly early in development, the Boeing/Saab design is still unknown so hard to say on that one I guess. Of all the above though the T-50 is the only one with a proven track record, adequate performance and ready to enter production at a moments notice.

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

There's heat haze on the back of that thing, it's certainly not a mock up.

It's single engine, unlike the T-38/F-5.

Remember that the T-38 is still in use because it's been "good enough." It's getting really old, though, and its cockpits and systems are no longer representative of a current line fighter.

NG took the reasonable view that what was needed was a plane like a T-38 that had a current cockpit and systems. Why fix what's not broken?

I'm not sure how the competition is structured, bonus points for this or that, but I'd say this appears to be a conservative bet.

As for an A/XX replacing the A-10, there's not even a RFI yet let alone a formal RFP or program, The Scorpion is another in the long history of company-funded planes. Whether it would fit or could be adapted to fit an A/XX program remains to be seen.