CptHrki

Creating a dynamic MiG-15bis gunsight in KAW.

As mainly a MiG player in KAW, it started bothering me that the sight reticle stays completely stationary and there's no noticeable difference between caged and AA mode (I disabled lead computing for the sake of realism). Looking at the F-86 gunsights, they behave just like I'd want it in my MiG (the gunsight moves nicely responding to the plane's movement), but I can't seem to pull it off. I copied over the files related to the gunsight to the MiG-15bis folder, added all logically important lines to the .ini files and double checked to make sure everything is named properly, but there must be something missing. I basically want to make the sight move dynamically but still not have lead computing. Seems simple enough, but I had to ask for some help, probably newb question though. Oh and I found nothing when googling it.

Edited by CptHrki

The MiG-15 had a lead computing gunsight like the F-86.  The US supplied the Soviet Union with American aircraft with lead computing gunsights through the Lend Lease program in WWII.  The MiG didn't have the radar ranging that the F-86 had.  So, enable the lead computing sight on the MiG.

ah, nope.

Trust us, Stary got it right on his cockpit

the gunsight on the Fagot was a fixed reticle, not lead computing. Nor were any of the Lend-Lease aircraft sent to Russia (P-40, P-39, P-63, etc)

Don't confuse  reflector gunsights with a lead computing device (ala K-14 that only appeared in the late model Mustangs)

Leave it as it was issued

The MiG-15 had the ASP-3N gyroscopic reflector gunsight, as did the early MiG-17A models. "Ranging" on it was pilot controlled, sort of like adjusting for bullet drop on a rifle's telescopic sight, in this case, the pilot adjusted the reticle to the target's wingspan.

Radar-ranging lead computing sights did not appear on MiGs until the later '17A and '17F models.

Here's a wiki article on Gyroscopic gunsights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_gunsight

Yep, disabling lead was the problem. I can differentiate radar sights and simple gyros, that's not the problem. I also do know that the MiG had a gyro, but I could've sworn it behaved like a radar sight so I disabled it far back ago... Anyway, sorry for the time wasted and thanks for the help! :)

The MiG-15 had had a gyroscopic gunsight, thats true, but it had a fixed gunsight too. You could switch between "moveable" gunsight und the fixed gunsight and you could display both gunsights at the same time.

Some Korea aces used the fixed gunsight, while otheres prefered the lead computing gunsight.

Yes, we often read this in combat reports

For french reading people :

arton5315.jpg

Wrench, you are correct.  It was not US Lend Lease, it was UK.

The single, slow-firing N-37 and twin 23mm cannon had excellent effective range

– about 3,050ft (1,000m) – but had dissimilar ballistic trajectories. Some Sabre

pilots had the unnerving experience of seeing 23mm shells passing overhead while

37mm rounds flew by underneath! Worse, at speeds above 800km/h (499mph) the

aim-point (“pipper”) of the World War II-vintage ASP-1N gunsight, which was a

reverse-engineered RAF Mk 2D gunsight designed for use with British 0.303-in.

machine guns in Hurricanes and Spitfires, was no longer indicating where the cannon

shells were going! Additionally it had to be set by hand (by twisting the throttle,

known as “stadiametric ranging”) based on the pilot’s visual range estimation.

F-86 Sabre vs MiG-15, Korea 1950-53, Douglas C. Dildy & Warren E. Thompson

Yah, I couldn't remember what the RAF sights were --- Mk.II or Mk.III "Ace Maker", and if they were "normal" manually adjustable or the other kind

As mainly a MiG player in KAW, it started bothering me that the sight reticle stays completely stationary and there's no noticeable difference between caged and AA mode (I disabled lead computing for the sake of realism). Looking at the F-86 gunsights, they behave just like I'd want it in my MiG (the gunsight moves nicely responding to the plane's movement), but I can't seem to pull it off. I copied over the files related to the gunsight to the MiG-15bis folder, added all logically important lines to the .ini files and double checked to make sure everything is named properly, but there must be something missing. I basically want to make the sight move dynamically but still not have lead computing. Seems simple enough, but I had to ask for some help, probably newb question though. Oh and I found nothing when googling it.

in my wings over korea mod it is "gyro".

the reticle is not as "jumpy" as on the -86 but they are the same function in the end, just no radar ranging on the mig ofc