Well, Heatblur finally released the F-14B into Early Access.  If you aren't familiar with DCS, you may like to know that you need to run the module in the DCS World OpenBeta, rather than the full-up version.  I hadn't touched OpenBeta and only played DCS every now and again in the past, so I was glad to find that out.  I'm quite impressed with the module to say the least.  The Jester AI is easy as pie to interact with, making long-range engagements very straightforward.  I did three sorties tonight, after a control shakeout (DCS likes to assign axes to everything!) and basic familiarization flight.  The first mission I forgot to set the time to 1200 and left it on "Random".  So, a pitch-black fight against a MiG-21 it was!  I have the tags on, still, in part because the monitor can slip out of my glasses field of view with TrackIR, and I can at least see a little red blob against the terrain, so that helped, but it does feel like cheating and I'll be shutting it off at some point.  I was able to down the Fishbed and get back to base. 

This_Is_Fine.thumb.jpg.ffb0571c9f9957dcf566be3a5ba438f8.jpg

This is fine!  No problem at all...

Second fight was in Nevada doing long-range stuff to check out Phoenix.  The final fight was the included "MiG-28" fight, which was a 4v2 which sees you take a catapult shot and bring the plane back to land.  Because we had an E-2 in the area, we got a vector for the bandits, ROE was splash anything that went feet-wet.  I still haven't figured out how to direct the wingman, so he was effectively along for the ride.  At about 25NM, TWS-A selected, I loosed both AIM-54Cs at a MiG-28 a piece, both missiles tracked and splashed their targets.  Next bandit I got with my second Sparrow missile.  The final guy got a shot off at my wingman, but his missile took dash-2's flares.  Both AIM-9 shots I took were trashed and I had to finish him off with the gun.  Plenty of gas left, but now I know I've gotta put it down on the boat, and man am I glad I went straight home, because I think it took me about 10 tries to get back on deck, and that last try, let me tell you - one of those famous "we land NOW, GOD-DAMMIT!" one-wires where I just barely missed a ramp strike.  Wasn't pretty and I know I damaged the plane because little holes appeared on the port-side of the nose of the model to signify that the section had taken a beating.  Funny enough, in combat, I only put 6.8g on the plane!

Cat_On_The_Cat.thumb.jpg.c376349d5c1584834cf023a2899674c3.jpg

Cat on the 'Cat

Missile.thumb.jpg.c0fa53dc9e9cc02a8d0a7519e08169f0.jpg

"Hi, there!"

Guns_on_MiG28.thumb.jpg.3783ca3179735af772b7836659ae95f7.jpg

No kill like a GUNS kill!

I think it would come as the understatement of the century to say I was anticipating this module, but I will also say that until Heatblur did their official announcement video, I had zero confidence it would ever get done.  The DCS community has been burned plenty of times in the past, and HB had run into problems and setbacks of their own while in development.  My mindset became: once it's on my hard drive, then I'll believe it.  As videos began to roll in, however, it became more like a kid on Christmas "oh man, I can't wait."  Well, now I have it, and I can share some first impressions.

The model is friggin' fantastic.  The level of detail on it is stunning both externally and in the cockpit.  The rivet-counters will have a tough time on this one; the models are based on laser-scanned F-14s sitting in museums, and years worth of research.  The sounds are also amazing, to include a lot of clickyness to the various buttons and switches in the cockpit.  The view out of the cockpit is very good, as one would expect out of a bubble canopy, but not as good in the forward quarter as an airplane without the "jail bars" splitting the windscreen.  That said, with TrackIR or VR, you can simply move your head a little, or lean forward or back to keep tally.

Look_Back.thumb.jpg.2829f0255c5f98e05d4da0cc0ec5b675.jpg

You can see clear through the tails from the front seat.  In this case, I just started flying through a cloud, so it's a little blurry.

The Jester AI, like I mentioned earlier, is very intuitive and easy to interact with.  Even without reading the manual on how to interact, I figured it out in the first combat flight I took.  The single biggest thing that will take time to learn is the flight model and handling characteristics.  The F-14 is truly a stick and rudder plane, and the F-14s in Strike Fighters 2 don't even come close to simulating the adverse elements of the F-14's handling, especially wing rock and control reversal.  I wouldn't consider myself a contender online at the moment, and the fact that I was able to take out the AI aircraft in a gunfight at this stage is simply because they are AI.  If you hop in expecting the plane to hold your hand like the F/A-18C module, you're in for a ride.  It has no g-limiter, no alpha limiter, beta (yaw) limiter, etc.  It's you talking directly to the control surfaces and them doing whatever the hell you tell them to, be it to your advantage or detriment.  "Need to get out of the way of that missile and put the stick in your lap?  Fine!  10g ain't the worst I've been through!  Boot full of rudder?  I'm not stopping you!  Canopy jettison followed by...oh, you son of a..." 

In terms of overall maneuverability (sustained/instantaneous "g", roll rate, etc.) the airplane feels good.  If I didn't jack it up and start rocking the wings, I was able to turn perfectly fine and loaded as much as 9.8g on the plane in one of my fights without complaint.  A major saving grace against the F-5s when I got the plane out of shape is the fact that the B adds energy quick, and I was able to stabilize the plane and quickly curl inside their turns to go from defensive, to neutral, to offensive reliably and repeatedly.  I actually had to get one of them off of my dead six o'clock (he shot a missile while there, but it took my flares) and was able to reverse the situation in a manner of seconds.  The F110's power also gives the plane a lot of options, such as pushing the fight vertical, or un-f*cking your carrier approach when you jack it up and almost put yourself into the back of the boat for the fourth time. AoA and airspeed are very important to pay attention to, and the rudders will make or break you in a dogfight or at slow speeds.  I still haven't felt out the slow speed regime intentionally yet.  I have run the plane out of airspeed during some hamfisted dogfighting moments, but honestly, it recovers itself pretty quickly, and it maintains a degree of controllability even below 100KIAS, such that I was able to point the nose where I wanted with the rudders as the plane flopped over and began regaining speed.  It also allows you to go to full flaps for slow-speed flight/fighting without needing to pull the aux flap circuit breaker (of the few things not [yet] modeled, one is the circuit breakers).  As I build confidence, I'll start looking to test my skills against MiG-29s, Su-27s, etc., and eventually get into multiplayer, but right now, I'm still learning the thing.

Overall, it's a really amazing module.  Every video I've seen talking about this module says that Heatblur set a new bar for aircraft in DCS.  I agree.  The plane is spectacular.  You'll need to put in the time to learn it, but man, is it rewarding to fly.  At some point in the future, the F-14A will be released, and the package already comes with a carrier and A-6, so its steeper asking price of $79.99 gets you more than just a single jet.  In my opinion, it's well worth the asking price.

On_Deck.thumb.jpg.0f5a574d0a05ff9426373fd106b4908b.jpg

I'm sure that'll buff out...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Caesar said:

Well, Heatblur finally released the F-14B into Early Access.  If you aren't familiar with DCS, you may like to know that you need to run the module in the DCS World OpenBeta, rather than the full-up version. 

. . .

I wish I had the time to make this month to learn how to fly it, so I could have financially justified preordering it when I have not one but two major trips to take this month. 

Your SF2 Tomcat, BTW @Caesar makes me smile....

img02920.thumb.JPG.5ecd1061737130a61ee00daf57bd59e7.JPG

img02936.thumb.JPG.630f4e82e886e84bb00db06b7063796a.JPG

img02943.thumb.JPG.1fe9fba5655d111c80922c542d8f7bd0.JPG

When you're out of Tomcats... you're out of heavy metal fighters.  So with that, the Fighter Pilot Podcast episode on the Tommy just dropped:

With all this, time to let others talk about the Heatblur rendition of the Tomcat!

Edited by JosefK

You are right. I installed it yesterday and when I tried a test flight I saw it is amazing!!

Finally the F-14 has the simulation that deserves. Now I have entertainment for a long time learning to fly this beauty. Totally recommended!!

Well, I brought it up against a Flanker (AI) and it went a lot better than expected.  Of course, a human player would be completely different, but I'm at least building some confidence with my handling!

• Like 2

I  miss the F-15's speed, acceleration, and visibility.  Even with a full load of ordinance (normally fight with two gas bags on) I can get her to accelerate out of most sticky situations.

But Heatblur's F-14 feel so precise. I can take old tom turkey down on the deck fast or slow and feel 100% at ease, despite not having a computer making decisions for me (F-18) or boosting the flight controls (F-15).

One thing I can't get the hang of is the amount of drag that gets put on the flight model when above FL20 or when any ordinance is in the tunnel.

The F-14B is an amazing module. It is largely old-school analog... roughly the same tech level as the F-4J. Even with its powerful engines, you aren't going to beat small, agile fires by just pushing the throttles forward and yanking hard on the stick. I can't wait for the F-14A, whose power-to-weight is very close to the F-4J. It will even more skill and patience to wing gun fights. This module will keep me entertained until the F-4E is released.

I question the performance modeling of the F-15C vs the F-14B. The F-14B should be somewhat equal or better than the F-15C over most of the flight envelope. Yet, I can win just about any dogfight quickly and easily in the F-15C but have to work my butt off to win in the F-14B. Is the F-15C overmodeled? Is the F-14B undermodeled? Or are they are both dead-on and I am ill-informed?

I am uncertain of the validity of the attached graph. I would have expected the F-16C and F-15C  to be have their data lines swapped based on pilot anecdotes. This only shows the F-14A. It shows the F-4E and F-14A to be very close at Mach 0.8 or above, which largely agrees with the info I have available. Most published data on F-14 vs F-4 is against a hard wing F-4J rather than a slatted F-4E.

y4mpzoUDB9UkQ3G6dQf2N_COtXF12gn8Rodhv-81

Edited by streakeagle

3 hours ago, streakeagle said:

The F-14B is an amazing module. It is largely old-school analog... roughly the same tech level as the F-4J. Even with its powerful engines, you aren't going to beat small, agile fires by just pushing the throttles forward and yanking hard on the stick. I can't wait for the F-14A, whose power-to-weight is very close to the F-4J. It will even more skill and patience to wing gun fights. This module will keep me entertained until the F-4E is released.

I question the performance modeling of the F-15C vs the F-14B. The F-14B should be somewhat equal or better than the F-15C over most of the flight envelope. Yet, I can win just about any dogfight quickly and easily in the F-15C but have to work my butt off to win in the F-14B. Is the F-15C overmodeled? Is the F-14B undermodeled? Or are they are both dead-on and I am ill-informed?

I am uncertain of the validity of the attached graph. I would have expected the F-16C and F-15C  to be have their data lines swapped based on pilot anecdotes. This only shows the F-14A. It shows the F-4E and F-14A to be very close at Mach 0.8 or above, which largely agrees with the info I have available. Most published data on F-14 vs F-4 is against a hard wing F-4J rather than a slatted F-4E.

The problem with discussing this graph relative to real-world aircraft performance doghouses is that the real-world charts for most of those planes shown are protected by distribution and export restrictions, so you really can't do it in an open forum without potentially falling afoul either the distro limitations or certain laws like ITAR.

As to the in-game performance, there's a series of videos by The Grim Reapers which runs a bunch of the modeled aircraft against each other in terms of general performance.  The F-14B has a just barely better sustained turn than the F-15C (equal payloads) on the deck, but you have to be slower in the F-14 to achieve it (20 deg/sec @ 300-330KTAS vs 19 deg/sec @ 350-450KTAS).  Generally the F-15C out accelerates the F-14B in DCS against a Vmax of 650KTAS by about 4 seconds both on the deck and at 15,000 feet, while the F-14B has a better max speed on the deck, but lower max speed at altitude.  The F-14B out-climbs the F-15C from 0 knots start, while the F-15C out-climbs the F-14B from 600 knots start.  The two are generally comparable.

What I've found is that the F-14B takes a lot more practice and understanding of its nuances, and I'm still learning a lot (have been away for a bit, and will be again shortly).  A LOT of rudder work comes into play.  The F-15C has the FBW and ARI and you can horse around with the stick all you want to point the nose where you want it to go without ever touching the rudder pedals, not so in the Tomcat.  I've been watching some of the more competitive folks on YouTube and they've been successfully winning guns-only PvP fights against  other players in Hornets, Flankers, and the like, but it definitely takes them practice and time.

Both the Hornet and the Tomcat like very low speeds. The Hornet has issues with its G restriction, so you have to go slow to access its full maneuverability. The Tomcat has to be flown very carefully... too fast and it accelerates even more rather than turning. Too slow and its speed bleeds very quickly. Finding and maintaining the sweet spot is challenging. I find the F-15C more forgiving than either one. I can adjust my AoA to build energy or trade speed for angles. Keep your speed between 300 and 450 knots, and you will do fine. If the F-15 had been given maneuvering flaps and leading edge flaps or slats, it would have dominated ACM aside from its large size being too easy to spot. I like the view out of the F-15, too.

Right now, I think the Hornet is a good choice for most people: it can dogfight, it can pound the ground, and despite all the buttons and menus, it is very easy to start up, take off, fly, and land. Once you get its speed low enough, it is incredibly agile.

For pure air-to-air, the F-15C would be my favorite, but the lack of full systems modeling / clickable cockpit is a huge drawback. If I wanted to fly a "lite" sim, I would have stayed with SF2. But that simplicity makes it so much easier to employ effectively with  little or no practice.

So, for me, the F-14B is the coolest of the available US "teen" fighters. It is probably the most capable, but requires a lot of skill and knowledge to operate correctly... and you have to deal with an AI RIO and/or switch seats to get certain things done. I haven't used the RIO much. If I ever learn how to use the Voice Attack / VAICOM Pro correctly, the RIO will be more realistic and useful.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MigBuster

Master Server Infrastructure Maintenance
      We will have infrastructure maintenance works to be performed on Tuesday, November 19, 2019 from 04:00 to 06:00 UTC. All users will not be able to connect to the DCS Master server and all account sessions will be reset. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this short downtime.
      Stable Release updated
      After a relatively large number of Open Beta updates, we have released a substantial update to the Stable version of DCS World. Among the many highlights of the new Stable version, users will now be able to enjoy the Early Access version of the DCS: F-16C Viper. Other highlights include:
      AGM-62 Walleye II and AWW-13 Data Link Pod for the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Many updates and fixes to 3rd Party modules such as the C-101 and M-2000C You can read the entire changelog here.
      Our next Open Beta is set for 20 November 2019 and is planned to include:
      F-16C Viper features
      Track While Scan (TWS) radar mode AUTO steerpoint sequence mode Corrected flight director (sherm) behavior Functional CMDS (countermeasures) DED page New stores drag implementation Initial data link (Link 16 / MIDS) External lights Centerline fuel tank Corrected lock hold when switching master mode Corrected radar lock-only RWR indication Corrected INS steerpoint change Corrected HMCS enable/disable HOTAS command F/A-18C Hornet features
      Aft Pod Antenna Option Following the 20 November 2019 Open Beta, we will heavily focus on the Hornet to include such items as Track While Scan (TWS) and AACQ radar modes, updates to the targeting pod, and updates to existing weapons systems and countermeasures.
      Development Report #5
      Supercarrier - "Population" of our new aircraft carrier is not limited to the flight deck but also the sailors and pre-flight crew of the island. Following the early access release, it will later it will be possible to occupy the Air Boss and Landing Signal Officer (LSO) locations in both 2D and VR. All of this will be available in the new DCS: Supercarrier module. In the meantime, please enjoy these work-in-progress images.
      Spitfire Sound Updates - We have greatly improved all the Spitfire LF Mk.IX engine and propeller sounds. New sounds were recorded from an actual Spitfire Mk.IX and added to the game. Our sound engine factors in altitude, airspeed, engine RPM, manifold pressure, and many other elements. You can hear the dramatic difference from within the cockpit and outside the aircraft. The update is available in the current Open Beta and will be available in today’s Stable version!
      Enjoy this video highlighting the updated sounds
      DCS: M-2000C by RAZBAM Updates - Working closely with the French Air Force, RAZBAM brings you an all-new Mirage 2000C cockpit! This cockpit features all-new textures, radio panel, ECM, NVGs, and much more.

The cockpit mesh has been extensively overhauled with new edge loops for better edging and a doubling of the polygons to improve both the on screen and VR experience.

Using their relationship with the French Air Force 2/5 Squadron, RAZAM has created an M-2000C cockpit that is as close as you can get to the real thing. Using this opportunity, RAZBAM has fixed various inaccuracies by using our latest workflow and tools.

New Features:
      New cockpit model New cockpit textures New cockpit lighting New radio panel New ECM panel New Seat Harness New INS Screen Added NVG’s with Mount Added under glare shield lighting assembly Added flashlight Cockpit Update Video
      The Virtual Festival of Aerobatic Teams 2019

The Virtual Festival of Aerobatic Teams or VFAT is a virtual, international airshow like RIAT or MAKS. The pilots simulate the displays of real aerobatic teams like the Patrouille Suisse, Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Russian Knights and Blue Impulse; however, many teams also create their own spectacular displays. VFAT is currently the only virtual airshow where such a large group of teams gather to create an event of this size. Spectators can watch the event live using internet streaming technology. VFAT takes place once a year and offers the opportunity for virtual aerobatic teams and solo pilots to present their hard work for the enjoyment of the general public! Watch live Dec. 7th & 8th on Twitch.
      VFAT Video
      Yours sincerely,
      The Eagle Dynamics Team
    • By MigBuster

2019 Autumn Sale starts today!
      We are happy to announce that the DCS World Autumn 2019 Sale is here with incredible savings on most DCS World products!

Lasting until November 4th, save 50% on most DCS World modules! This applies to aircraft, maps, and campaigns. The only exceptions include:
      DCS: F/A-18 Hornet by ED - 25% off DCS: Persian Gulf Map - 25% off DCS: Christen Eagle II by Magnitude 3 LLC – 25% off DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations – not on sale at this time DCS: F-16C Viper by ED – not on sale at this time Get these deals starting today in the DCS E-shop.
      We will also be participating in the Steam Halloween Sale.
      Open Beta update
      We released a new Open Beta update this week. Much of the focus has been on the Viper and includes initial Basic IFF and fuel tank jettison. On the Hornet front, we are introducing the AGM-62 Walleye ER/DL with support from the AWW-13 Data Link Pod. Along with these highlights, many more fixes have been included and you check out the complete changelog here.
      Development Report #1
      In order to provide greater transparency in our endeavours, we are happy to introduce a new series of Development Reports. These will shed light on some of the most requested features and their progress.
      New AI FM (GFM) - currently in progress
      Last week we introduced some new skills for our AI pilots, and we want to thank you for the feedback. We are happy to hear that it’s making a big difference! We are also working on what we term the GFM (General Flight Model), and this is the new FM for the AI that you may have heard us hint at earlier. This FM will support asymmetric payloads, and naturally crosswind landings. We think this will make the AI pilots fly in a more realistic and human fashion. The GFM will not only simulate kinematic movement, but also true stability and controllability characteristics of the plane and their natural behavior at takeoff and landing. The current effort is on building variations of mass and moments of mass in flight. In the future, we will develop the principal functionality to support supermaneuverability.
      UH-1H Multi-Crew Functionality - currently in internal testing

This hugely anticipated feature is close to seeing the light of day. We have begun internal testing of multi-crew functionality for the Huey. The initial testing is progressing well, and it will allow two pilots to fly the Huey as a team. Pilots will be able to interact with each other’s panels, and it should be a beet fun addition to an already excellent module.
      Next week we will share some new information about Modern Air Combat (MAC) and the Supercarrier module.
      Thanks for your support.
      Yours sincerely,
      The Eagle Dynamics Team
    • By MigBuster

Why the F-16C
      The Viper was the next logical extension to the F/A-18C Hornet. They both have a similar multi-role mission and share many of the same underlying technologies and systems. As such, we can be much more efficient by leveraging core technologies and features for both aircraft. The Viper is also cool aircraft that has been produced in massive numbers, with an equal number of fans around the world. It was a no-brainer.

Development Start

Every aircraft starts from the engine and flight model and follows by 3D modelling and development of all the systems. We started to develop the heart of the Viper in October 2018 creating the needed design documents and collecting as much information available to us. The main production phase started in April 2019 with many placeholder objects up to what you see now this will continue until the module is considered feature completed and can be moved from Early Access to release.
      Development Speed

We have never developed a product so fast. Not only is this a testament to our amazing development team, but it also showed the value of creating core technologies that can be applied to multiple aircraft. The development of projects that are similar in tech will always help the speed of creating new tech. You can even see this in our WWII aircraft with similar engine types, and new tech for those.
      Current Early Access Features

As development starts, a plan is put into place on what the key features will be required to make an enjoyable product in an Early Access environment. Much thought is always put into what will allow the most gameplay with features still to come. Even development of the Hornet, and what was most popular as it developed, as an example, the targeting pod. Of course, this is all based on how the systems tie together in development, and sometimes that can push much-requested features further out, you can see this with IFF as an example.
      F-110-GE-129 turbofan engine AN/APG-68(V)5 multi-mode radar AN/ALR-56M Radar Warning Receiver CCIP (Common Configuration Implementation Program) update ALE-47 countermeasure system Color Multifunction Display (CMFD) symbology, Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) format, and Head-up Display (HUD) symbology Digitally TACAN and Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (EHSI) RWS, SAM, and ACM A/A radar modes RWS, SAM, and STT air-to-air radar modes BDU-33, GBU-10, GBU-12, Mk-82LDGP, Mk-82AIR, Mk-82SE, Mk-84LDGP, CBU-87 CEM, and CBU-97 SFW unguided bombs 2.75” rockets Helmet Mounted Cueing System (HMCS) AIM-9L/M/P/X Sidewinder AIM-120B/C AMRAAM M61A1 20mm cannon Litening targeting pod New developments for the Viper

TWS and other A/A radar modes Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS) Link 16 Data Link Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) A/G radar modes AGM-65D/G/H/K Maverick AGM-88C HARM AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS) GBU-24A/B laser-guided bombs BRU-57/A Smart Rack CBU-103 CEM and CBU-105 SFW Inertially Aided Munitions (IAM) GBU-31/A and GBU-38/B JDAM AGM-154A and AGM-154B JSOW Integration of the JHMCS with the HARM Targeting System (HTS), Link 16, and AIFF Night Vision Goggles (NVG) ALE-50 towed decoy What to wait for next?

IFF TWS Programs for CMDS Autopilot (HDG SEL and STRG SEL modes) INS setup and DED page FM/FLCS/engine tuning AA and AG mode missing indication Current Known issues

With this Early Access release, we have already identified and are tracking the number of issues that were not fixed for this build. If you see the issue listed here, there is no need for it to be reported in the 'Verified Bug' section for the Viper on the forums.
      All things Damage Model are currently WIP Pilot body WIP Wing Flex WIP DED symbols not affected by reflection Seat Shadows in the cockpit not complete LAU-3 firing issues after reload LERX vortexes only on-air start Some stores alignment issues remain Tanker can send 'transfer complete' in error OBOGS BIT Switch isn't clickable MPO check shows nothing Depressible Reticle Switch doesn't affect on HUD Some MP sync issues remain AoA bracket is bouncing around while taxiing under 60kts. No animation on the engine inlet fans Pilot shows still in the cockpit after ejection EQUIP HOT caution light doesn't illuminate after for AIR SOURCE selected OFF AWACS Declare not available ENG CONT switch doesn't affect nozzle position Trying to eject with seat unarmed causes ejection soon as the seat is armed HUD IAS delta is too big comparing with info bar In certain cases, Afterburner flame overlaps engine nozzle HUD velocity switch doesn't display Ground Speed AR floodlight and other lights on fuselage doesn't work ALT GEAR Handle isn't clickable HUD Brightness Control Switch not functioning EMER Jettison and GRND jettison not functioning Seat adjustment moves POV but not model PNEU label is not displayed Hook doesn't extend Infobar shows wrong flaps value Stores Drag WIP Active and Time to Intercept calculations for DLZ Q&A from community

Q: The number of available skins?
      A: Default skin only.

Q: Can I use bonuses to purchase?
      A: Yes.

Q: Why is the DED not listed at all? Are there no plans to fully simulate the DED?
      A: DED is an important part of different systems. As functionality for these systems is added, corresponding pages on DED will be added.

Q: Are there any plans to include a virtual pilot for the Viper?
      A: Of course.

Q: How is the FBW-based PFM developed from publicly available data to something that is actually so close to reality that a Pilot/SME is able to validate it and sign off on?
      Q: The FLCS for the F-16 had to be constructed from the ground-up. How was that process?
      A: Building FLCS from scratch was a difficult task, requiring a lot of research and a lot of effort, due to complexity and a lack of information. F-15C and F/A-18C development experience came in handy.

Q: When implementing something like the RWS radar mode into the F-16, how much of that code is able to be transferred straight from the F/A-18C into the F-16C, and how much has to be modified/rewritten completely?
      Q: How much common codebase do the Viper and Hornet have? Will developing systems and weapons for both be seamless and much easier as EA development continues? Can this common base also be applied to future fixed-wing products like the F-4E?
      A: Significant amount of code has been reused, which greatly simplified and accelerated development. In the future, this will help in the development of other modules. However, there are still many things we created from scratch.

Q: In the future will there be other variants?
      Q: is there ever going to be DLC's for F-16 that simulate different F-16's? ( i.e Block 40 Night Falcon, Block 30 )
      A: Perhaps, we will consider this option.

Q: Is the Sniper pod still being considered further down the road?
      Q: Will the sniper pod make a return?
      A: Yes.

Q: Will Hornet and Viper be feature-tied when it comes to development and update? So if one got AGM-65 (just an example), will the other be getting it at the same time? (or around the same time?)
      A: We will try to. It is in our interests too.

Q: Was wondering if there are plans to implement the Viper's AGCAS to save pilots from GLOC death.
      A: Too modern for the modelled variant.

Q: How will LGB's work starting online from a cold/dark empty plane on day1? I.e. where do you set the LGB code? Will this be a server setting that bombs will default to?
      A: Laser code is set in a mission in EA. Later we will add the ability to set the code on a runway, similar to F-5E-3.

Q: Is there anything more you can share at this point regarding Ground Radar?
      Q: How far is the development regarding ground radar?
      A: Work in progress.

Q: For us who don't have cool detents on our throttles, is there any plans to add a similar feature the hornet has (the finger lift to after burner) that'll prevent me from accidently hitting the burner when I'm trying to only go to full mil?
      A: It's already in EA.

Q: Can HARM targeting system and Litening targeting pod be mixed in the future?
      A: Carried together - yes.

Q: The F/A-18 already has HARM. Will we be seeing that available for the Viper in POS/HAS modes before the HTS pod is released, or will you be waiting to release them as a bundled upgrade?
      A: We will start from common modes and then proceed to HTS.

Q: When can we expect TWS for the f-16?
      A: This is one of our priorities for the near future.

Q: What are the deliverables expected of the F16 Viper before the developers move back onto completing the Hornet?
      A: Engineers will return to Hornet development in the near future.

Q: Will there be a "Viper mission of the week (month? can't remember)" like you initially did with the Hornet?
      A: About once a month.

Q: How do I turn on TACAN?
      A: Switch MIDS LVT knob to the ON position.
      Yours sincerely,
      The Eagle Dynamics Team
    • By MigBuster

DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Jagdflieger Campaign Available!
      The Jagdflieger campaign for the Bf 109 K-4 by Reflected Simulations is now available for purchase from the DCS e-Shop.

It's March 1944, the beginning of the end. The Reich has become a fortress without a roof. The large formations of Allied four motors have become daily visitors. Come, join the German Luftwaffe in these dire times. Jump into one of JG26's Messerschmitt Bf-109-s and find out what it’s like to attack the "fat cats" head on, or to take off in a hail of bullets from the attacking Mustangs. Watch the Allied forces land on the beaches of Normandy and support the retreating Wehrmacht. Let all the details immerse you in this semi-historical campaign and make you feel like a young Jagdflieger fighting a lost battle, where, like 1944, survival is the most you can hope for.

Screenshots
      Key Features:
      12 semi-historical missions focusing on JG26 from March to July 1944 A detailed background story, mission contexts and checklists Detailed briefings and briefing images, including separate PDF mission files Unique kneeboard graphics for each mission Over 250 specially recorded voice-over messages and radio broadcasts Historically accurate custom skins A wide array of missions including free hunt, intercept, bomber escort and ground attack Launch of the ED Miles!
      On 1st August 2019 at 0900, we launched the new ED Miles rewards system!
      ED Miles are similar in many ways to airline miles and can be earned/awarded and used as follows:
      Regardless if a product has just been released, is already on sale or in pre-purchase, you will always earn ED Miles on the price you paid for the purchase. For each purchase, you will earn 10% of the Purchase Price in ED Miles. As an example: if you purchase something for USD 29.99 you will be awarded 2990 ED Miles worth USD 2.99 on the DCS World e-Shop. You can use ED Miles to purchase any product participating in the program, regardless if they are just released, already on sale, or as a pre-purchase! There is no limit on the number of ED Miles you can use for a purchase. If you have enough ED Miles, you can even pay for an entire product just using ED Miles. ED Miles earned are valid for three calendar years from the time of your last DCS World e-Shop purchase. Note that ED Miles cannot be redeemed for cash or any other conversion, and a list of 3rd parties participating in the program will be provided at launch.
      DCS World Open Beta Update
      This week we launched a big update that included some great improvements to the Hornet in particular:
      The initial release of the AA/ANQ-28 Litening Targeting Pod (WIP). Other modes like air-to-air mode, INR tracking, additional HUD symbology, and slave to target point, and other functions will be added later in early access. Marking a target on the SA page with PLID is now shown correctly on the radar page. Sharing PLID info in Multiplayer is displayed correctly to and from donors. STEP data now matches radar data for a selected target. Fixed SA page STEP marker does not pass through all displayed contacts. SA page EXPAND option added. Fixed JDAM TOO mode not setting correctly for WPTs loaded as TOO MSN 1 or TOO MSN 2. Fixed radar showing target as hostile even if DL and NTCR are turned off. MSI donor HAFU not displayed on RADAR page is fixed. Fixed a crash that could happen when trying to restart AUTO at the end of a WP route. Fixed disabling AUTO in mid-route could break AUTO sequence. TDC movement now shuts off STEP. Radar altimeter is now set correctly at zero before Hornet start-up. Huge updated the Hornet Guide. Fixed CTD when setting bomb interval. After this Open Beta, the next big system to add will be the AGM-84D Harpoon anti-ship missile.
      You can read the complete change log here.
      Some of these include:
      AGM-88 now tracking slow moving ground radar emitters. Multiplayer improvements. Improved AI pathing over bridges. Improved AI carrier deck taxi behavior. Great improvements to the AV-8 Night Attack, M-2000C, and the C-101. Sincerely,
      The Eagle Dynamics Team
    • By yunped
      https://125studio.tistory.com/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..