MarkEAW

EAWHS Files Section Updated

I managed over two or three days and nights to clean up the TOOLS section of the files I host on mediafire, and actualy provided file information for all the files on my help site.
I know its not a big deal , but it was alot of work. I found some information I didnt know about and tools I wasnt sure about. I condensed some of the downloads too.
The tool section is also part of the Reference, Editing, and Manager sections. The manager section I did only for the sake of doing it as most of those programs are too old for modern computers, unless you can get them running.

I guess there was the original 3dzStudio program in dos, and a last beta version with a pascal source code.
I don't have the source code for the Windows port of the 3DZ!Studio from Gurney or WB. I would like it as that program can stand to be improved.
I did happen to find WBs three updates he made, as far a 2011 he was working on it for GUNSHIP!.

Anyway alot of work, and the tool section still needs some consolidating of archives.
The rest of the files do too, like all the add-ons but I doubt I'll fully get them done with a bit of help from someone that knows more about these files than I do. But that person hasn't stepped forward yet.

Theres just so many directions i can go with me Help Site, and it occupys my time well enough when I can sit still long enough in front of my Computer. :)
But The files do need work, but I can only move so fast without the volenteer help or knowledge needed. And the EAW enthusiast are sparse.

okay, well thats what I been doing.

You're welcome to host the files here as well. I think the exposure will provide the platform benefits. Up to you. E

I would if I could get enough consolidation done. For an example, like files in the same archive together.
I don't want to duplicate the entire archive as it would not be clear to anybody what stuff is what. I have a hard time tracking down detailed descriptions to alot of the files.

I'll keep it in mind to try to provide adequate downloads here. 
I have been working on a modding archive outside of all this that maybe perfect here.

Thanks BTW.

Over and out.

Thx for the hard work and your relentless effort to help the EAW community Mark, nice one!

VonBeerhofen

Thanks VBH.

Looks like I found another stash of studio files including the source code for I think two of them, one for DOS , one made in VB. Might be ColGibbons src from Gurneys Window version. Also found the Normals.exe source code too.
But I yet to move some of the files into the proper folders to upload. (There actually already up there but, in the wrong folders and not filled out on my files.hrml help doc., so harder to find right now)

I found some other tools that I thought I deleted, but I simple misplaced them. like 3dz Mirror rotate and nodeweld and such....I'm just glad there not gone. :)
I don't know if I'll get to them this evening or not.

Great, I have a few ideas for Studio. That DOS version is probably Paolo Morais's version written in assembly. It had some text in Spanish if I recall correctly. As for loosing any of those programs, I have multiple backups here should there be a problem at some time. I would however print out a full directory, or copy it's text into notepad so you can still retrace what was were but perhaps you already have done so.

VBH

I did find some of the missing files in another folder. But I'll keep you in mind if I'm missing anything else.

Thanks VBH.

EDIT:

I thought it was Alessandro Borges that made the first DOS Studio?
(I have his pascal src and his 1st update(presumably his last) to his 2nd studio program)

Edited by MarkEAW
edit studio auther info.

Wehey, you're probably right there Mark. That stuff is slowly fading I'm sorry to say, but it's cool to see those old masters still getting recognition eh?

VBH

Yes Sir.

That Morais guy, he did a lot for EAW back then as well. Minor tools that where needed, and you probably still use. :)

Yep, they were the first Code Group and Paolo had some good knowledge about programming. It's too bad I didn't get to meet him in person as he left soon after I was invited by Capt. Kurt to join them. He also was an assembly language programmer and could have helped me to get going in 2000. Couldn't make much sense of hes source code for Studio, too much Spanish remarks. It also remained vague to me which Macro Assembler he was using, without that program you can't do a thing with the code.

I might be able to do more today but the later version in Visual Basic is already more advanced and probably much easier to reprogram too. Not saying I will have a go at it though, too busy with EAWPRO right now and it would take a lot of work to figure that code out too.

VBH

Interesting topic.  I was astonished that I "took" to Assembler programming so many years ago, after struggling with other languages that were supposedly "easier'.  It has been decades since I did anything but learn Assembler in school, but I distinctly recall that most students were overwhelmed by the complexities/opportunities offered by Assembler language.  I found it exhilarating, but others found it daunting.  OTOH, some of these same students outperformed me in the "easier" languages.

I reckon that my class was almost all pretty smart people; The preference for/against Assembler was personal/self-imposed, and not purely intellectual.

NOT to be construed as an offer for advice on Assembler language!  Like I said, it's been decades.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:54 PM, MarkEAW said:

I managed over two or three days and nights to clean up the TOOLS section of the files I host on mediafire, and actualy provided file information for all the files on my help site.
I know its not a big deal , but it was alot of work. I found some information I didnt know about and tools I wasnt sure about. I condensed some of the downloads too.
The tool section is also part of the Reference, Editing, and Manager sections. The manager section I did only for the sake of doing it as most of those programs are too old for modern computers, unless you can get them running.

I guess there was the original 3dzStudio program in dos, and a last beta version with a pascal source code.
I don't have the source code for the Windows port of the 3DZ!Studio from Gurney or WB. I would like it as that program can stand to be improved.
I did happen to find WBs three updates he made, as far a 2011 he was working on it for GUNSHIP!.

Anyway alot of work, and the tool section still needs some consolidating of archives.
The rest of the files do too, like all the add-ons but I doubt I'll fully get them done with a bit of help from someone that knows more about these files than I do. But that person hasn't stepped forward yet.

Theres just so many directions i can go with me Help Site, and it occupys my time well enough when I can sit still long enough in front of my Computer. :)
But The files do need work, but I can only move so fast without the volenteer help or knowledge needed. And the EAW enthusiast are sparse.

okay, well thats what I been doing.

I will offer unskilled help.

No telling what's in old files.  As you mention, lots of stuff forgotten, but valuable nevertheless.

I think it very important to "attribute" such contributions to the original contributor when possible, and if such is not known, state so, and ask for informed info as to original contributor ; such revised info to be posted as such becomes available/confirmed.  They deserve credit for their contributions, and I'm sure all here would agree that they should get it.

Edited by RIBob

I cross reference files with web site info when i could. I have info on files that I don't actually have yet or ever. 
Anyhow, I found most of the popular web sites that remain within a decade after EAW was released. only cover a tiny fraction of what was really available over the years.

What does that mean. It means there where no web site links or info on the files, perhaps maybe they where linked in a forum or passed around. Many don't include original archives or readmes. Making things even harder to distinguish.

Anyhow. no work on the files in about a week. I usually work on them when i feel I can spend a good amount of time  working with them.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:39 AM, MarkEAW said:

I cross reference files with web site info when i could. I have info on files that I don't actually have yet or ever. 
Anyhow, I found most of the popular web sites that remain within a decade after EAW was released. only cover a tiny fraction of what was really available over the years.

What does that mean. It means there where no web site links or info on the files, perhaps maybe they where linked in a forum or passed around. Many don't include original archives or readmes. Making things even harder to distinguish.

Anyhow. no work on the files in about a week. I usually work on them when i feel I can spend a good amount of time  working with them.

Sounds like some digging on the wayback machine is needed.  I can try that, if you like.  I've dug around there a little bit.  If you ant, let me know what you are looking for, and I will see what I can do.

I been all over the place for files through the past 4 or 5 years. I'm just now trying to locate some 3DZ Tutorial Docs, but no body is coming through, even the people you think that would have them, are not stepping up.

Check my post I think here at CombatACE, I posted something about the guides I'm looking for under EAW modding forum.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, MarkEAW said:

I been all over the place for files through the past 4 or 5 years. I'm just now trying to locate some 3DZ Tutorial Docs, but no body is coming through, even the people you think that would have them, are not stepping up.

Check my post I think here at CombatACE, I posted something about the guides I'm looking for under EAW modding forum.

I saw that post.  I think it's a pity that some folks who could help decline to do so.

You have been asking for help for a long time, and receiving scant response.  That's very unfortunate.

Now, I'm still offering uneducated, unskilled, help.  Just give me a goal, and point me in the right direction, and I will do what I can.

Edited by RIBob
  • Like 1

Attention, the old post about 160 and install/frontend support where moved into there own thread.

RIBob, I think I have all the files needed now thank you.
I may ask you to review my 3dZ help doc in the future.