Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

I say, RAF now lets in beards!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49313406

Royal Air Force personnel will be allowed to grow beards under new rules aiming to promote inclusivity.

The hair-raising move, which comes into force on 1 September, will allow serving members to wear "a smart, neatly-trimmed, full set beard".

The RAF has insisted members will still have to maintain "high standards of appearance".

So let me get this straight: beards were out, but now that the population includes a lot of people that won't give up their beards for religious reasons, beards are ok?

Someone is not meeting their recruitment goals or someone has bent to political correctness.

21 minutes ago, streakeagle said:

So let me get this straight: beards were out, but now that the population includes a lot of people that won't give up their beards for religious reasons, beards are ok?

Someone is not meeting their recruitment goals or someone has bent to political correctness.

I believe someone wants to be a make a nice recruiting poster and say "see look diversity!" But in reality they could care less about it and are only jumping on the bandwagon so they can get an award or promotion.

That or the RAF wants to take things back to the 70s.

There is a double standard on beards in the US Navy. They were banned at some point in the 1970s. But, if shaving causes an issue with your skin, a doctor's note exempts you from having to shave. So, I can't have a beard because it will mess up the seal on my emergency air breathing mask, but the guy next to me that is allergic to shaving can have a beard even though it means his mask won't seal? All I want is consistency: either beards are ok or they aren't. If someone else can do the job with a beard, why not me?

When I was in the RAF it was quite common to see blokes with beards , I even had one at one point, true it was only permitted for medical reasons at the time, but it was quite common, particularly in the Regiment. I dont really see an issue with it to be honest, as long as they are "regulation" as per the Navy, the only time it could be an issue is in an NBC scenario, when beards and respirators dont work well together , at the end of the day , wearing a full set isn't detrimental to the Service, they can look smart, as long as they are kept trimmed and short. ...................:pilotfly: