Sign in to follow this  
Coupi

Weathering with Paint.net

Hello,

I'm using Paint.net for skinning.

I would like to improve my stuff... I am not totally satisfied !

Please if you use this painting tool could you tell me how to add weathering effects ?

Thank you ! :drinks:

Coupi.

Hmmmm.....Paint.net is very good for basic stuff, never done any weathering with it, not sure it would really be adequate, or up to the task .I use Paintshop myself, however if you dont have access to that program have you considered using Gimp ? its free, and from what I understand , you can get some pretty decent results from it. Again, I only use Gimp for making decals, as Paintshop is my weapon of choice. its another option at least if not a perfect one.

Sorry I said here I use Paintshop. but I meant Photoshop.......doh !! 

Edited by trotski00
  • Thanks 1

I've only created one skin I consider okay, and I used Gimp to do it. Gimp is easy to use when it comes to layering. One way I learned when it came to weathering was to place an aluminum colored layer underneath my camo layers, and then use the eraser function on the camo layer, with a cracked paint brush I downloaded from Deviant Art, and the jitter function in the Gimp brushes menu to scatter "scratches" in the paint. I don't know if Paint.net has these types of functions, I highly recommend Gimp, because it's very easy to get decent, if not perfect, results. A layer of gray along panel lines, using a vegetation brush, and the jitter function, along with a Gaussian blur, and a reduction in opacity, creates a good accumulation of "dirt" in the panel lines. Hope some of this helps.

ps You can create brushes for Gimp. There are instructions on the net for how to do it. Another idea would be to create a "dent" brush to show small dents in the aluminum.

Edited by Heck
Another idea for Gimp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Heck said:

I've only created one skin I consider okay, and I used Gimp to do it. Gimp is easy to use when it comes to layering. One way I learned when it came to weathering was to place an aluminum colored layer underneath my camo layers, and then use the eraser function on the camo layer, with a cracked paint brush I downloaded from Deviant Art, and the jitter function in the Gimp brushes menu to scatter "scratches" in the paint. I don't know if Paint.net has these types of functions, I highly recommend Gimp, because it's very easy to get decent, if not perfect, results. A layer of gray along panel lines, using a vegetation brush, and the jitter function, along with a Gaussian blur, and a reduction in opacity, creates a good accumulation of "dirt" in the panel lines. Hope some of this helps.

ps You can create brushes for Gimp. There are instructions on the net for how to do it. Another idea would be to create a "dent" brush to show small dents in the aluminum.

agreed...I use real metal textures to copy n paste bits of for panels...and a myriad of effects to make stuff....bump mapping is good for making dented sheets or panels....im tending to move to that and panel lines etc by using a normal map or even specular ...specular can be a good tool rather than just specularity and such it does also make areas look hollow,sunken etc. ps2018 an others u can make brushes and import them into psp..convert to .jbr

• Like 1

Many thanks guys for your help !!! :good:

I must have a play with Gimp to create a skin, so used to photoshop it has become a bit of a habit, so maybe it is time to broaden my horizons some !!! :airplane: