Hi guys, i have a very big issue regarding one of my favourite games of all time: Strike Fighters: Project 1.

I play this beautiful old game on my PC and i run it pretty well at lowest settings and 1920x1080p (i had ALSO to change "default graphic card option" to  my high-performances NVIDIA graphic card, due to the fact that the game heavily lags if i run it with the default graphic card option, even if it's all set on lowest settings).

After i figured out this little issue, the game runs pretty smoothly and at an high framerate so, what's the problem?

The problem is that whenever i hit or shoot down a plane or i look at an explosion, the game freezes for a couple of seconds...

So i don't know what to do and why this happens… :sad:  

Is that because Strike Fighters: Project 1 is too old for a modern medium-high end PC? (I used to play it also on my previous low end Windows XP PC, and i never had any kind of problem)

Should i play the game at lower resolutions even if all settings are already at lowest?

Why had i to choose my high-performances NVIDIA graphic card to play the game without lag even if it's an old and well optimized game?

Please help me, i know SF:P1 is a very old game and i should go for SF2, but the first one is one of my favourite games of all time and THIS PROBLEM MAKES THE GAME UNPLAYABLE!!!

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH, cause this is a HUGE PROBLEM, i really have no idea of what to do and i'm very confused about what's happening... :help:

Technically Strike Fighters Project 1 and the rest of the first series were for Windows XP (and some earlier versions of Windows only) and are NOT SUPPORTED on Win 7 or later.

What version of Windows do you run now? -  the easiest thing would probably be to buy a version supported on your OS - I have never tried that version on Win 10 myself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MigBuster said:

Technically Strike Fighters Project 1 and the rest of the first series were for Windows XP (and some earlier versions of Windows only) and are NOT SUPPORTED on Win 7 or later.

What version of Windows do you run now? -  the easiest thing would probably be to buy a version supported on your OS - I have never tried that version on Win 10 myself.

I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit

19 minutes ago, MigBuster said:

You mean to buy another Strike Fighters title with saying "a version supported on your OS", like Strike Fighters 2, Vietnam, Europe or similar?

Edited by JamesWilson

The only version of Strike Fighters officially supported for Windows 10 will be released after May 2020:

Some people might have SF Project 1 running on Win 10 - however if something breaks the game there is little you can do................ so in the long run best to get the newer version that is supported on Windows 10...............that is the best advice I can give you.

• Like 2

Also here are the changes made to SF2 over SF1 you might benefit from some of the changes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MigBuster said:

Also here are the changes made to SF2 over SF1 you might benefit from some of the changes.

3 hours ago, MigBuster said:

The only version of Strike Fighters officially supported for Windows 10 will be released after May 2020:

Some people might have SF Project 1 running on Win 10 - however if something breaks the game there is little you can do................ so in the long run best to get the newer version that is supported on Windows 10...............that is the best advice I can give you.

Thank you very very much Mr. MigBuster for answering me in such rapid and detailed way:ty:

So what you saying is that SFP1 is dead and i should switch to SF2 right?

23 hours ago, JamesWilson said:

So what you saying is that SFP1 is dead and i should switch to SF2 right?

Development of SFP1 stopped around 2008 time and it was replaced by SF2 so in that sense yes very dead.

• Like 1

On 24/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, MigBuster said:

Development of SFP1 stopped around 2008 time and it was replaced by SF2 so in that sense yes very dead.

Ah ok, so that's why my SF:P1 does not run perfectly on a modern OS like Windows 10 i imagine, right?

And so SF2 won't have any performance problem on more modern machines like mine?

Edited by JamesWilson

Note that modded content often impacts framerate. So when you say SFP1 lags, is that an unmodded or a modded game?

• Like 1

On 27/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, gerwin said:

Note that modded content often impacts framerate. So when you say SFP1 lags, is that an unmodded or a modded game?

It is unmodded, i've just updated it to last 2008 patch and downloaded some aircrafts.. that's it.

I run it at good framerate, it freezes sometimes when a comm is given (such as QG that spots enemy boogies or wingmen who say something) or when me or someone else shoots down a plane and an explosion or destruction of a plane happens (like if the game starts loading destroyed plane model and so freezes for 1 or 2 seconds)

6 minutes ago, JamesWilson said:

It is unmodded, i've just updated it to last 2008 patch and downloaded some aircrafts.. that's it.

I run it at good framerate, it freezes sometimes when a comm is given (such as QG that spots enemy boogies or wingmen who say something) or when me or someone else shoots down a plane and an explosion or destruction of a plane happens (like if the game starts loading destroyed plane model and so freezes for 1 or 2 seconds)

I must say that i had to set everything to lowest settings (except for 1920x1080 res) and change default "running method" to my high-performance NVIDIA graphic card though, cause it would heavily lag (between 3 to 5 fps) if i played it with default graphic card.

Edited by JamesWilson

On 27/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, gerwin said:

When i say that my game used to run at extremely low fps (such as 3 to 5 fps) I mean I had the infamous "Windows 10 Low FPS" problem, that has already been discussed on COMBAT ACE website, but the fix shown in that video nor the 2008 patch did not change anything...

The only way I could run SF:P1 well was to set my high-performance NVIDIA graphic card as "default running method", as I already said before..

Edited by JamesWilson

1 hour ago, JamesWilson said:

"Downloaded some aircraft", is like modded to some degree.

Although from the rest of your description it indeed sounds more like a Windows 10 or modern driver issue. Cannot really help you with that. I don't use Windows 10.

I do know of about certain tweaking software for windows incompatibilities, but they are not easy to use:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

May be more worthwhile switching to Strike Fighters 2 instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerwin said:

"Downloaded some aircraft", is like modded to some degree.

Although from the rest of your description it indeed sounds more like a Windows 10 or modern driver issue. Cannot really help you with that. I don't use Windows 10.

I do know of about certain tweaking software for windows incompatibilities, but they are not easy to use:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

May be more worthwhile switching to Strike Fighters 2 instead.

Yeah exactly, I think that too (I used to play SF:P1 on my old Windows XP PC before and I hadn't any kind of performance problem, it used to run perfectly on that older machine)

It's the same @MigBuster is saying to me: older versions of Strike Fighters like SF:P1 have compatibility problems with more modern PC or OS than XP, and it's very little you can do if the game brokes...

So he's telling me to switch to some more modern and Windows 10 compatible Strike Fighter version, like the upcoming Strike Fighters 2 Windows 10 supported edition.

Thank you very very much anyway for helping me anyway Mr.gerwin  :ty:

Edited by JamesWilson

On 2/23/2020 at 9:38 AM, JamesWilson said:

Hi guys, i have a very big issue regarding one of my favourite games of all time: Strike Fighters: Project 1.

I play this beautiful old game on my PC and i run it pretty well at lowest settings and 1920x1080p (i had ALSO to change "default graphic card option" to  my high-performances NVIDIA graphic card, due to the fact that the game heavily lags if i run it with the default graphic card option, even if it's all set on lowest settings).

After i figured out this little issue, the game runs pretty smoothly and at an high framerate so, what's the problem?

The problem is that whenever i hit or shoot down a plane or i look at an explosion, the game freezes for a couple of seconds...

So i don't know what to do and why this happens… :sad:  

Is that because Strike Fighters: Project 1 is too old for a modern medium-high end PC? (I used to play it also on my previous low end Windows XP PC, and i never had any kind of problem)

Should i play the game at lower resolutions even if all settings are already at lowest?

Why had i to choose my high-performances NVIDIA graphic card to play the game without lag even if it's an old and well optimized game?

Please help me, i know SF:P1 is a very old game and i should go for SF2, but the first one is one of my favourite games of all time and THIS PROBLEM MAKES THE GAME UNPLAYABLE!!!

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH, cause this is a HUGE PROBLEM, i really have no idea of what to do and i'm very confused about what's happening... :help:

JW, I feel your pain! I used to play this game at med graphics and it was smooth as silk on a weak laptop. Then, I started playing it on a gaming desktop system I paid $2000 for. It was still outstanding! My problems started when I installed the Oct2008 patch. Well, I had to make some adjustments and I couldn't use the high settings for the water. I was running it well with Win7 64 and switched to Win8.1. It was still pretty good. But, when that Win10 Anniversary update hit, it was like 4 frames per second. After struggling for months, I put the game away.

Now, I just installed WOV on this computer which I found in the dumpster. It's a Dell OptiPlex 3010. It has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) and 16 GB Memory (Crucial). I just upgraded the memory from 4 GB as I forgot about doing the upgrade earlier because it was just so much faster than the previous ASUS CM5571 with an Intel Pentium E5400 / 2.7 Dual Core processor and 6 GB memory. I'm running a 1TB SSD and I have an AMD Radeon HD 5570 Graphics card with 1 GB Core Clock at 650 Mhz Memory Clock at 667 Mhz. Absolutely AMAZING graphics performance! I am running in Compatibility Mode Windows XP (Service Pack 3) with video resolution 1920x1080 32 bit. There are absolutely no studders or jaggies. I can't wait to try the SF2 Sims.

Then, I installed the Oct2008 patch, and it started to just crawl again! I don't know what it is. Perhaps too many individual trees for the terrain. It's worth noting that after the patch, there became available a setting for aspect ratio of the display. I should've tried to set that back to the 4:3 to see if that worked but I didn't think of it. 

I've re-installed the base sim for now and will enjoy it like this. No YAP! The sim is still very fun in its base form. BTW, I'm running in XP SP3 Compatibility mode. The only issues I still have are a sluggish mouse and an occasional CTD. I'm good with that. I'm hoping the SF2 Win10 works well.

Robert "Qwick" Wicker 

• Like 1

I'm running win 10, 64 with an nvidia GTX 1060. WOV ran at 10 fps. I then read about the HDR Mod 1.01A, installed it and I now get 58 fps (the numbers flash because they can't display higher).

I installed the game on an XP machine first, then copied it to the win 10, because the win 10 wouldn't recognise the disc. I run compatibility win XP service pack 2 and run as administrator.

It works for WOV and WOE. Sometimes I get a crash or freeze after a mission, but the important thing is that I get to fly the mission.

I tried it on a newer 16 series Nvidia and it did not work at all. So the GT 1060 is the graphic card of choice.

• Like 1