Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Okay History Buffs, Veteran Navy, Cold War Researchers

I'm trying to locate an incident that occurred during the cold war. A situation in which a Soviet Submarine was discovered off the coast of the United States. I want to say it was snagged in a towing line off the coast of Carolina (or near Carolina). Does this situation sound familiar?

Is it the USS McCloy (FF-1038) that got his towed-array sonar cable stuck in the propeller of a Soviet Victor III Class sub (K-324)?

Edited by 1977Frenchie
  • Thanks 1

In the late 80th the soviet submarine force of the North Fleet made a big scale exercise, broke through the SOSUS line, shaked off the NATO submarines and Sub Hunter ships and disappeared in the mid Atlantic. Two weeks later the most soviet submarines were detected close to the US east coast. 

The incident you descriped could have happen in this timeframe.

• Like 2

This? from 1983

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/04/world/a-disabled-soviet-sub-surfaces-off-atlantic-coast.html

United States Navy officials reported today that a nuclear-powered Soviet attack submarine had surfaced 470 miles off the South Carolina coast, apparently because of mechanical problems.

''The sub seems to be experiencing some sort of mechanical problem,'' a Navy official said. ''But we don't know what the nature of the problem is. They aren't talking to us.''

They said the submarine was barely making headway in rolling seas, but did not appear in danger of foundering.

They added that the vessel had not issued a distress call on any international emergency frequency as of late today.

• Like 1

also recalled from that era

"In November of 1984, shortly before Gorbachev came to power, a Typhoon class Soviet submarine sub surfaced just south of the Grand Banks.It then sank in deep water, apparently suffering a radiation problem.Unconfirmed reports indicated some of the crew were rescued.
 But according to repeated statements by both Soviet and American governmentsnothing of what you are about to see... ever happened"

ok, not historical, but given the topic i couldnt resist. let you all figure out what from tho

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, 1977Frenchie said:

Is it the USS McCloy (FF-1038) that got his towed-array sonar cable stuck in the propeller of a Soviet Victor III Class sub (K-324)?

That sounds about right. I remember that he showed me a picture that he took of that event. I hope I'll bump into him again. But this sounds about right.

A disabled Victor III SSN (K-324) on the surface with a Moma Class survey vessel and USS Peterson (DD-969). K-324 suffered a damaged propeller after getting tangled in USS McCloy's (FF-1038) towed sonar array 282 miles west of Bermuda, October, 1983.

Post image

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

ok, not historical, but given the topic i couldnt resist. let you all figure out what from tho

Frankly I'm amazed the thread lasted that long without this particular incident coming up lol :rofl:

I want to thank you all for helping me out with this!

If I bump into him again I'm going to see if he'll be interested in emailing the photo he took of that incident. My mother has this saying "We live history everyday" and it's cool to meet people that have "been there and done that" thing history books record.

• Like 1