Sign in to follow this  
HarryH

Bullet Strikes

I've noticed that I'm not hearing these, despite the red warning appearing at the top of the screen.... latest patch installed. Anyone else noticed this?

thanks Rick, not just me then.... Pol, a bug perhaps?

I don't hear them either. Should we? Perhaps just the metal bits? While we're on the subject, are shrapnel strikes considered as bullet strikes? I've had "bullet strike" appear on screen when I've been too high for bullets and I've not been under aerial attack. So I presume it's from archie?

Good question. I have also noticed, while we are noticing things, that I sometimes seem to get shot at by my own  troops and Archie, or at least I seem to be leaning way on my side of the lines when being shot at. Sometimes...

4 hours ago, Rick Rawlings said:

Good question. I have also noticed, while we are noticing things, that I sometimes seem to get shot at by my own  troops and Archie, or at least I seem to be leaning way on my side of the lines when being shot at. Sometimes...

Well that's historically accurate to some degree :)

11 hours ago, catch said:

I don't hear them either. Should we? Perhaps just the metal bits? While we're on the subject, are shrapnel strikes considered as bullet strikes? I've had "bullet strike" appear on screen when I've been too high for bullets and I've not been under aerial attack. So I presume it's from archie?

Yes I think you can get hit by archie shrapnel, but again, I think we are missing bullet strike sound effects.

Wood and lots of doped linen?... you could get several holes belting through your airframe that doesn't hit anything vital and not know anything about it until you landed.

'Stinky' Bottom the rigger might let you know about it if he's not hanging about the latrines again of course...

• Haha 1

I think you are right Rick... you would get a drum like tapping sound if I remember right.

I don't think you should hear them at all.  You shouldn't be able to hear anything but your own engines, maybe your machine guns. Those straight pipe engines were loud and they are right in front of you and the exhaust pipes are pointed in your direction.  Flack if it is close enough you could hear because it was non expected sound in the loud drone of the engine, and remember you probably had ear plugs in.

I'm sure I read once that the major problem in open cockpit flying was the noise of the wind above all else. It was the cause of veteran flyers loosing or having hearing problems.

The Germans even developed wind baffles on their flying helmets to counter it.

Internal view, bullet strikes are lessened a bit,  but externally they are reduced more, also reduced hearing other AI being hit.
If you want to hear more maybe you need to turn up effects and turn down engine in workshop, sound settings.

Indeed Catch I think before 1930s there was no sound in the world - except from church organs.   

• Haha 1

Silence is golden. If only hip hop/rap had been invented in those days and relegated rightly to the garbage bin before sound became a thing. Sorry, I'm off topic (again) and showing my age (again).

• Haha 2

On 6/28/2021 at 6:37 AM, catch said:

Silence is golden. If only hip hop/rap had been invented in those days and relegated rightly to the garbage bin before sound became a thing. Sorry, I'm off topic (again) and showing my age (again).

Can we update Catch's forum stat to "very senior member"? :wink:

• Haha 1