clim995

Increasing aircraft thrust performance.

how do I increase an aircraft's thrust and enable supercruise?

I feel like the Su-35 included in the modern warfare mod packs is quite underwhelming. It is supposed to be the ultimate non-5th generation Russian fighter and I want to make it feel that way. To cause fear in me whenever I fly F-16s or any lesser allied fighters (I fly mostly Mirage 2000s, F-15Cs, and F-16Cs because, in my opinion, the F-22 is way too damn easy! lo).

I sort of want to tweak the systems to make the Su-35 Flanker E somewhat better and give a better fighting chance against allied fighters, having managed to tweak the onboard radar to something powerful yet still balanced (just slightly below that of the top-of-the-line Western air superiority fighters.) 

now I'm having a problem with the engine. In my research, The Su-35 is supposed to have the supercruise ability, a crucial need for beyond visual range engagement, being able to close into radar lock range without expending much of the fuel reserve in case of dogfights, how do I do this? I have tweaked the engine, increased the thrust, modified the speeds (yet again, I take careful steps not to make the Su-35 overpowered, just enough to match that of the 4th+ gen enemy fighters) yet when I test-fly it, it seems that the gains are rather small and hardly noticeable.

I'm not a modder and most of those changes are just done through blind luck and intuition, I need advice from actual modders here, thanks!

There is no way that I know of that you can enable supercruise into the aircraft. Remember the focus was on pre-supercruise aircraft so there's no option to do it. I mean I have never seen it discussed so I may be on a limb but overall as far as I know the answer is no you can't.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EricJ said:

There is no way that I know of that you can enable supercruise into the aircraft. Remember the focus was on pre-supercruise aircraft so there's no option to do it. I mean I have never seen it discussed so I may be on a limb but overall as far as I know the answer is no you can't.

yeah, I guess. funnily enough, the old marcfighters Su-27 flight model had a supercruise ability in it (already fixed in the later Su-27 upload). whenever I'd play NATO Fighters 5 1986 campaign on the Soviet side, I'd just leave the Flanker throttle at 50 something percent and I'd reach Mach 1.1 speeds it's crazy and hella overpowered. I guess I just had the idea to put the same and improved version of that on the Su-35 Found on the Modern Warfare campaigns package, maybe being able to hit Mach 1.2-3 at 50-60 percent throttle (which I'd reckon would be the closest to the real-life Su-35), but thanks for the answer anyways friend! 

• Like 1

Messing with the stock F-104C data ini

[FlightControl]
StallSpeed=60.94
CruiseSpeed=192.52
ClimbSpeed=267.95
CornerSpeed=179.81
LandingSpeed=60.33
MaxG=7.33
MaxSpeedSL=344.22
MachLimit=2.200
MachLimitDry=1.2 <<<Modified
..MachLimitDry=0.980<<<<Original
PitchDamper=0.6
RollDamper=0.4
YawDamper=0.0
GunBoresightAngle=0
RocketBoresightAngle=-3.0

With the original I managed to get .96, with the modified one it was past 1.07, but they still don't get all the way to the limit, with both clean and in a shallow dive. Mind you, I also buffed the engine to GE-19 levels of thrust, an engine only used with F-104S and a few F-104As, AFAIK

Edited by macelena
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, macelena said:

Messing with the stock F-104C data ini

With the original I managed to get .96, with the modified one it was past 1.07, but they still don't get all the way to the limit, with both clean and in a shallow dive. Mind you, I also buffed the engine to GE-19 levels of thrust, an engine only used with F-104S and a few F-104As, AFAIK

must have something to do with the weight and aerodynamics of the aircraft as well. I've already messed around with the engines but still,  the most I can do is Mach 1 flat. I still cannot fully replicate the "supercruise" of the Marcfighters Su-27 flight model, might snoop deeper into the aircraft data ini themselves hope I find something.

[FlightControl]  -------------------------(everything is modified from the original Su-35 configuration, trying to get that right "feel" of a true lethal air superiority fighter)
StallSpeed=46.59
CruiseSpeed=290.0 
ClimbSpeed=450.12 
CornerSpeed=292.9 
MaxG=9.0 
MaxSpeedSL=487.05 
MachLimit=2.30
MachLimitDry=1.28 
PitchDamper=0.6 
RollDamper=0.4 
YawDamper=0.3 

8 minutes ago, clim995 said:

must have something to do with the weight and aerodynamics of the aircraft as well. I've already messed around with the engines but still,  the most I can do is Mach 1 flat. I still cannot fully replicate the "supercruise" of the Marcfighters Su-27 flight model, might snoop deeper into the aircraft data ini themselves hope I find something.

Of course, I guess that number is just a hard limit, in the end it will depend on your thrust and drag. But merely changing that number already worked, which might be some sort of asymptote, since it didn't just accelerate at the same pace and just stop when it reached the mach number.

• Thanks 1

I once gave an F-100 the Pratt & Whitney F135-PW-100 of the F-35.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KJakker said:

I once gave an F-100 the Pratt & Whitney F135-PW-100 of the F-35.

did you just copy the specific thrust output or copy-pasted the whole data.ini engine section? just curious cuz i might be doing it wrong lol.

2 hours ago, clim995 said:

did you just copy the specific thrust output or copy-pasted the whole data.ini engine section? just curious cuz i might be doing it wrong lol.

Whole engine data section. 

• Thanks 1