KJakker

Transition training time needed for new aircraft?

With regard to the Russo-Ukrainian War, how long would it take to train Ukrainian Air Force pilots to fly western aircraft?  

It depends. The major problem is the difference between metric and imperial system. Its a mental barrier, which is not easy to overcome. Its a diffrence wheter a HUD is showing 100 and means meters (which is low, but save) or showing 100 and means feets, (which is damn low and not very save). 

The reeducation from one system to the other needs a lot of time. Of course a pilot could fly the plane, but he could not fly it perfect, because he needs time to recalculate the values which shows the instruments into the system in which his brain is thinking.

The transistion time is surely more than one year.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

Are you following Hazard on Youtube? it tool him a year+ when he transitioned to the F-35.. so Mig29/Su27 to F-16/F-15/Rafale/Typhoon.. probably more than that

Edited by Nesher
  • Like 1

I retrained from Su-27 to F-15 in about three hours. In Game SF2. I am from Ukraine ;) 

• Haha 3

If to say seriousely, I don't believe we will ever get planes from the USA. We have had some talk about buying a JAS 39 Gripen, but I doubt that will ever happen either.

Most likely, when the truce comes, we will find out how many planes can be repaired, how many are at the storage bases, and how much the aircraft repair plant in Lviv is destroyed. If it is intact, it will collect and upgrade aircraft from warehouses. There will be Aircraft cannibalism. From this, "new" aircrafts for our Air Force will be formed. This is the only real way i see.

Just punching out a few dozen pilots won't change much anyway. There is no chance for them to do collective training and learn the tactics, techniques and procedures that would allow them to make the most of the new aircraft. This is the big advantage the US has. The US can conduct large scale training events such as Red Flag in the desert outside of Las Vegas. Other nations show up to these events and everyone gets to see what the others are doing and work with them. This allows the US and other participants to develop planning and operational requirements for a conflict of almost any scale involving a large number of participants. This sort of thing doesn't just happen because you can field a lot of very good pilots. You have to train together in realistic circumstances to get it right.

• Like 1