I'm having issues re-building some campaigns after moving to a new computer and redownloading fresh copies of SF2. The problem I'm having is after making a copy of say SF2 Israel and renaming it Korea in preparation for building that campaign, starting the copied came and coming back to the SF2 file location there is no ".ini application" file. It has established a Mod file in the saved games location for adding the mods to but there is no .ini file to modify as required for the Korea campaign.

For campaigns not requiring changes to the .ini file the new copies work fine - for example North Cape and others.

Any help is appreciated.......

You need only the file Options.ini

its for ecample here

C:\Users\!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOURNAME!!!!!!!!!!!!\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Korea\

no other ini files editing needed.

PS you ned at least at once run exe file to Options.ini apears

Thank you . It's been a couple years since I had to do this and forgot that file at the bottom......

Still don't know why its not producing that "application" file in the main drive where it used to.

1 hour ago, wasteboy said:

Still don't know why its not producing that "application" file in the main drive where it used to.

Because you played SF1 the game or SF2 which was very old version not updated. Many, many years game require modification in a MOD folder but not in the game itself.

I've never had SF1. I do think the .ini file labeled "Configuration" which is just below the "Application" file in the main installation directory is necessary because the games that have this file work and those that don't do not.

I don't think I'm wrong in remembering that when I created a copy of a game/file in the main installation file and ran the game that it created a Mod folder in the saved games file (which they do for me now) AND when I returned to the main installation directory there was the "Application" file I created but also right under that a "Configuration/.ini" file.

When installing the Korea Campaign files the directions are to make changes to that Configuration/.ini file and not the "Objects" file in the "Mods" file under saved game.

I guess my question remains: Why is SF2 not creating this file? 

Hmmm.. I dont understand what you are doing.My main the game folder is on the right and modded folder at the left. i opened Iran-Iraq as an example. Newermind on crossed with red, this program no need for you. I always do changes at the left side and never touch anything at the right side. As you see the dates of files are not touched since 2013. So the game since 2013 looks like on the right. I do only copy rename exe on the right. Do not watch the folders data, it changes ecverytime i move from HDD to HDD to save place from time to time. I dont know, may be Korean Theater is diferent to instal. My mods all installed by standart way. Copy rename -> run -> Exit -> Option.ini -> extract mod to mod folder I change nothing from the right cide.

Clipboard01.jpg 

Do you have full game? Up to date? May be you are using old game of 2009? i always rename StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic.exe file. May be you want to edit file kinda StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic.ini?? No need.  This file is outdated. It doesn't need to be edited. If you have a game with the latest update, of course.  You want to change this string "DefaultTerrainData="  do you? Date you can change in Options.ini

[SingleMission]

MissionDate=1979
StartYear=1950
EndYear=2040

But if you have old game try to copy rename your ini file the same way.

Edited by bazillius

I am working with a brand new version of SF2 Complete from Thirdwire ($99.99). So I don't think age is the issue. I recognize the your files and the fact that you haven't had my issue.  This may be a very limited issue relating to only a few downloads. 

I do remember having to edit the .ini files in a couple of download in the past especially in the "Campaigns" and/or "Missions" files so they would load or be recognized.  Start dates and end dates in particular. I'm 

My problem right now is with only one campaign download: Wings Over Korea. The installation process is standard except it asks for the following (Copied from the instructions):

5. Mod specific .ini configs

a. In your SF2 installation directory where all the game .exe resides, make a copy of StrikeFighters2 Israel.ini (or any other similar ini) and rename it StrikeFighters2 Korea.ini. Open the newly created .ini and find the following:

[Directory]
CampaignsDirectory=Campaigns

And change it to:

CampaignsDirectory=C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Korea\Campaigns\

*Please do not just copy paste this line but replace [username] with whatever’s set on your PC.

This step is to prevent stock campaigns from displaying which can sometimes cause problems.

b. In your Mod folder (C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Korea\), open up the file Options.ini, find the [instantAction] section, and replace it with the following:

[instantAction]
AircraftType=F-86E-10
MissionMap=Korea3
StartTime=15:30:00
StartDate=09/18/1951
StartTimeDeviation=120
TextureSet=0
NationalMarking=0
SquadronMarking=0
AircraftNumber=0
KillMarking=0

This would get InstantAction working spawning F-86s, Mig-15s etc.

This Theater right?

I played it some years ago i think. and it is completely working. I havent eaven read how to install just did an standart mod installation. As i told before. I dont know why its not work in your case than. I play on Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64. Both Home edition.

I dont know what to advice than. Try to run as Administrator or try to turn off UAC or defender (dont forget to turn it on back). Or wait till our Europe friends from this forum wake up and write their thought. I surrender. All i can say the Theater is playable and good made

Did you run the new executable you created before creating or editing an ini file for it? You must run the new copy of the game first and adjust the settings to your liking. The executable will make the ini file when it runs.

• Like 1

Yes. I went through all the old usual steps: copy, paste, rename and run. When I come back still only the renamed application file.

When you are not sure/don't know what you're doing, keep very close an eye of what you are actually doing.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Ully: Thanks in advance. I've seen your help with others on the forum and found several to be helpful to me also.

I think there is something basically wrong in my setup for it not to be working the way it used to as described above. I have what to me is an odd situation and I have not seen anything like it on the forum.  I recently purchased the Combo Pack from Thirdwire - probably not necessary but I got a new computer and I thought a clean start might simplify rebuilding SF2 (It has not!!!!)  When adding mods to SFNA I found that the new mod folders were being established directly in "C:\Saved Games\Thirdwire" and NOT in "C:\users\myname\ Saved Games\Thirdwire"  as they should. However, all other games mod files are established in the "C:\users" file as they are supposed to. I have also found that addons to the SFNA game like SFNA Expansion, North Cape and Black Sea Crisis work fine and the new campaigns are recognized and playable.

On the other hand addons to other games where the mod files are established in the "C:\users\ file" like SFV Expansion to plain SFV the game does not recognize the new campaigns.

Again, in no instance of any game is there an ".ini/Installations Settings" file established in the game root directory other than those for the initially downloaded games.

The whole thing is baffling to me....... I am ready at this point to be happy with what I have and not touch anything for fear I'll make a mess of it.

my guess is the differences between Windows 7, 10 and 11, for the mod folder location and naming conventions.

At the very worst, you uninstall, reinstall and SEE where plane jane things wind up (this is something I'm going to be going through very soon, as I'm needed a new machine)

The *.ini files will not be created automatically in the SF2 install directory (at least it didn't do that on my system). You have to create a copy manually. Just as the install instructions for the Korea mod you already quoted say:

5. Mod specific .ini configs
a. In your SF2 installation directory where all the game .exe resides, make a copy of StrikeFighters2 Israel.ini (or any other similar ini) and rename it StrikeFighters2 Korea.ini. ....

Edited by mue

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

my guess is the differences between Windows 7, 10 and 11, for the mod folder location and naming conventions.

At the very worst, you uninstall, reinstall and SEE where plane jane things wind up (this is something I'm going to be going through very soon, as I'm needed a new machine)

Thanks Wrench. Love your stuff....

• Thanks 1

It sounds as though one part of the install was installed under the "install for all users" option that windows has and that some of the file structure was installed under the "install for a specific user" option. Did you create a new user after installing SF2? It might help to run everything from the run as administrator option you can select from the right click menu.

5 hours ago, wasteboy said:

When adding mods to SFNA I found that the new mod folders were being established directly in "C:\Saved Games\Thirdwire" and NOT in "C:\users\myname\ Saved Games\Thirdwire"  as they should. However, all other games mod files are established in the "C:\users" file as they are supposed to.

The "Saved Games" folder is one of the Special Folders in Windows:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_folder.
It's default location is %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games, but it can be changed by the user: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10.
I assume in your case that the Special Folder "Saved Games" is located in C:\Saved Games. And SF2NA creates the mod folder there.
Unfortunately all other SF2 games (SF2 Europe, SF2 Vietnam, ...) seem to use an incorrect implementation of how to retrieve the location of the Saved Games folder. They always use the default location %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games.

Edited by mue
grammar

4 hours ago, mue said:

The "Saved Games" folder is one of the Special Folders in Windows:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_folder.
It's default location is %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games, but it can be changed by the user: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10.
I assume in your case that the Special Folder "Saved Games" is located in C:\Saved Games. And SF2NA creates the mod folder there.
Unfortunately all other SF2 games (SF2 Europe, SF2 Vietnam, ...) seem to use an incorrect implementation of how to retrieve the location of the Saved Games folder. They always use the default location %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games.

4 hours ago, Righteous26 said:

It sounds as though one part of the install was installed under the "install for all users" option that windows has and that some of the file structure was installed under the "install for a specific user" option. Did you create a new user after installing SF2? It might help to run everything from the run as administrator option you can select from the right click menu.

4 hours ago, mue said:

Thanks for your help above. I appreciate the input. I think I'm getting closer to a complete solution.

I don't know how they got in two different places since the bundle from Thirdwire was downloaded all at once. Delete the direct Saved Games folder and made sure all the games are saved to the C:\users file now. Of course in doing so the games all lost touch with the saved games file so I had to rebuild 5 games based on SF2 NA. Still can't get fames based on SF2V or SF2I to recognize the new Campaign files. I'll keep at that.......

I may be just me being old fashioned, but ...

I would put sF2I campaigns ONLY in the SF2I mod folder

I would put SF2V campaigns ONLY in the SF2V mod folder.

there may not be any actual differences, as all 5 game (7 if you count the expansion packs) use all the same core files and such, but I'm a traditionalist

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wasteboy said:

Ully: Thanks in advance. I've seen your help with others on the forum and found several to be helpful to me also.

I think there is something basically wrong in my setup for it not to be working the way it used to as described above. I have what to me is an odd situation and I have not seen anything like it on the forum.  I recently purchased the Combo Pack from Thirdwire - probably not necessary but I got a new computer and I thought a clean start might simplify rebuilding SF2 (It has not!!!!)  When adding mods to SFNA I found that the new mod folders were being established directly in "C:\Saved Games\Thirdwire" and NOT in "C:\users\myname\ Saved Games\Thirdwire"  as they should. However, all other games mod files are established in the "C:\users" file as they are supposed to. I have also found that addons to the SFNA game like SFNA Expansion, North Cape and Black Sea Crisis work fine and the new campaigns are recognized and playable.

On the other hand addons to other games where the mod files are established in the "C:\users\ file" like SFV Expansion to plain SFV the game does not recognize the new campaigns.

Again, in no instance of any game is there an ".ini/Installations Settings" file established in the game root directory other than those for the initially downloaded games.

The whole thing is baffling to me....... I am ready at this point to be happy with what I have and not touch anything for fear I'll make a mess of it.

take a look here, it might help in your situation:

I suggest you read carefully what MigBuster advises. Also it might be a good idea, if you screwedup the installation and now you don't know what is what, to uninstall completely everything, and  I mean... EVERYTHING with Thirdwire label on it, and reinstall after the model indicated in the KB thread by MigBuster. I hope you know to work with Windows registry, if you don't PM me and I'll help. Pay attention, too of what WRENCH suggested in his last post.

Edited by UllyB

7 hours ago, Wrench said:

I may be just me being old fashioned, but ...

I would put sF2I campaigns ONLY in the SF2I mod folder

I would put SF2V campaigns ONLY in the SF2V mod folder.

there may not be any actual differences, as all 5 game (7 if you count the expansion packs) use all the same core files and such, but I'm a traditionalist

Thanks. I'm doing a reinstall per Ully and MigBuster below and I'll keep that in mind when I do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UllyB said:

take a look here, it might help in your situation:

I suggest you read carefully what MigBuster advises. Also it might be a good idea, if you screwedup the installation and now you don't know what is what, to uninstall completely everything, and  I mean... EVERYTHING with Thirdwire label on it, and reinstall after the model indicated in the KB thread by MigBuster. I hope you know to work with Windows registry, if you don't PM me and I'll help. Pay attention, too of what WRENCH suggested in his last post.

Thanks again UllyB. Coincidentally that was my plan for today after reading a fairly recent forum post on the subject from Bazillius.....

On 3/7/2023 at 11:03 AM, Wrench said:

Thanks Wrench. Love your stuff....